#1 animishgautam

animishgautam

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:02

I recently bought my first Lamy Safari and to my disappointment it is writing very thin and rough. It even misses sometimes.

Is it some problem with my piece and I should go and get it exchanged or these pens are like this only? Because previously I had tried some of these and they wrote quite broad and wet. The ink I am using in it is PR Velvet Black.

Please help me! :crybaby:

#2 Earthdawn

Earthdawn

FountainPenDay.com

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:15

I have a couple and many nibs to go with them and they have been great writers right out of the box. Wet but not to wet and never a skip.

I would say to flush it out with some water with dish soap in it. It may be that there is some factory dirt or greese in the nib. You could even take the nib off and give it a once over with an old tooth brush.

These pens are some of the best for the $ in my opinion. They ask for nothing and are true workhorse pens.

Let us know how it goes... it is RARE that there are issues with these pens.

#3 animishgautam

animishgautam

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:12

@Earthdawn: Thanks a lot! Will try it and let you know about the results. I have this sheaffer pen which runs much more smoothly and boldly than this Lamy Safari. I hope the ink is not an issue.

Anyways will let you know about the results.

Thanks again.

#4 iamchum

iamchum

Oh Long Johnson

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:04

I hear u say thin and rough... What do you mean by thin and rough? Is the line thin? is the nib scratchy? I've tried and now own several Lamy Safari's and they are one of the most reliable affordable pens I have ever come across. It may be that you got a nib that was a bit finer than either what you were expecting or what you prefer using. Maybe go back to the store and get a broader nib for it.

And repeating what has already been said, sometimes manufacturers have some oils left from manufacturing still left in the pen so it is always good to give them a flush before u start using them, even if there are some particles in there.

My two best writers.

Posted Image..........Posted Image

.........I call this one Günter. ......... I call this one Michael Clarke Duncan.

#5 animishgautam

animishgautam

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 January 2013 - 14:26

I hear u say thin and rough... What do you mean by thin and rough? Is the line thin? is the nib scratchy? I've tried and now own several Lamy Safari's and they are one of the most reliable affordable pens I have ever come across. It may be that you got a nib that was a bit finer than either what you were expecting or what you prefer using. Maybe go back to the store and get a broader nib for it.

And repeating what has already been said, sometimes manufacturers have some oils left from manufacturing still left in the pen so it is always good to give them a flush before u start using them, even if there are some particles in there.

Yes, the line is thin and the nib is very scratchy.

#6 Aysedasi

Aysedasi

24 Heures du Mans and Oblique Addict

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,522 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 January 2013 - 14:37

Get another nib! :)

#7 Sailor Kenshin

Sailor Kenshin

Heart of sword

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,484 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 January 2013 - 15:09

I recently bought my first Lamy Safari and to my disappointment it is writing very thin and rough. It even misses sometimes.

Is it some problem with my piece and I should go and get it exchanged or these pens are like this only? Because previously I had tried some of these and they wrote quite broad and wet. The ink I am using in it is PR Velvet Black.

Please help me! :crybaby:

Get it exchanged.

I bought a Safari years and years ago. Never could get it to write. And it turned me off the brand for a long time.

Now I own five or six, and all wrote fine straight out of the box. In short, my original was a lemon. Save yourself the trouble and get it exchanged for a Safari that writes.