#31 Cito

Cito

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 January 2013 - 19:03

Nothing much really since we haven't covered many things (complex ideas) so this is the best I've got! .......so far..... I'll probably still be be posting notes here once I take more! That's the problem with lectures only twice a week :headsmack:

Pilot Plumix 1.1 with Blue Pilot cartridges

That's some handsome looking math ...
---
Kenneth Moyle
Hamilton, Ontario

#32 ModiHammarstedt

ModiHammarstedt

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 January 2013 - 19:28

Nothing much really since we haven't covered many things (complex ideas) so this is the best I've got! .......so far..... I'll probably still be be posting notes here once I take more! That's the problem with lectures only twice a week :headsmack:

Pilot Plumix 1.1 with Blue Pilot cartridges

That's some handsome looking math ...

Thank you! It gets better and prettier once more complex things pop up!

#33 gcouch

gcouch

No One Understands my Obsession

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 January 2013 - 19:12

I do all my math homework with FP's. I've never have (and still don't) like math, but using a FP keeps me somewhat interested. I don't think it's a justified use of my ink, but I don't really have anything else to write with :lol:

#34 kalex

kalex

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 January 2013 - 20:00

Does anyone else do math with a fountain pen? As was the case with penmanship, I hated math in school and didn't study it once I wasn't forced to in school. When I got into fountain pens last year, I read a post here that said that kids in some European countries (probably Germany and/or France, I don't remember which) used fountain pens for math. That inspired me to renew my math studies and to do it using fountain pens exclusively. When I make a mistake, I just cross it out. Sometimes the crossed out parts contain the seeds of the right answer. It's actually neater than using pencil, because when I use a pencil, I press really hard, and the marks don't erase well. I feel that my fountain pen hobby is helping me to explore other interests that I would not have considered before.

Interesting. Have to say "Me, too," I guess. I've always enjoyed math, but like most folks, took notes and did my exercises in PENCIL. So I could ERASE, of course! Like crossword puzzles. Only a show-off uses INK, doesn't (s)he? Besides, our teachers drummed this into us, too! They didn't want you turning in homework or exams with a big, inky MESS of corrections on it. But, you must learn the rules before you break them, right?

Like not starting a sentence with "but," "and," or "like?" :)

Lately, however (in the last year since I've 're-discovered' FPs), I have done some math writing with FP. "Erasing mistakes" is a non-issue. I pretty much know ahead of time if I'm writing something that might need correction or flat re-doing. If so, I use a pencil. Got maybe a dozen of those puppies, too! If I'm just trying to recall an equation or formula or work out an actual problem--then, of course, I'll be using a pencil or a fine rollerball or felt-tip. A Hi-Tec C comes to mind. In-class lecture notes? Pencil or rollerball, usually. Gotta write fast, not necessarily pretty. Can't worry about drying times, smearing or drying-out nibs. Tiny, marginal notes sometimes, too.

And, another thing: ever see any old film (or dramatizations) of people like EINSTEIN "doing" math? If they're not writing on a chalkboard, they're writing with...a big, fat FOUNTAIN PEN, usually! The exact OPPOSITE of what our teachers were telling us to do, right?

Maybe you're more thoughtful and careful about what you're writing just because you don't want to have to cross out and re-write anything when you're writing math stuff in ink.

Enforces a kind of mental discipline, don't you agree? And that's gotta be A Good Thing™.

Incidentally, this may also explain my finicky-ness regarding what constitutes a "Fine" or "Extra-Fine" nib, too. To me, "Fine" means I can write legible MATHEMATICAL EQUATIONS with it, plain and simple. Exponents, limits, superscripts, subscripts and all. If I can do that on regular lined (7 or 8mm spacing) paper, that's a sufficiently "Fine" nib.

#35 dcrosier76

dcrosier76

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 January 2013 - 14:10

I wanted to thank everybody for posting pictures of their math using a FP. I'm a newbie here and still in the process of buying my first FP. I was a little skeptical at first about using FP's for my math/engineering studies/work. But thanks to everybody here, I am super excited about getting my first pen and jumping back into Differential Equations!

Thank you to everybody here!!!

#36 johnthebear

johnthebear

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 February 2013 - 00:32

I am a graduate student a few months out from my phd in experimental nuclear physics. I have been doing all of my notes, research, and homework in fountain pen for a few years now. I prefer noodlers black in a lamy safari with a fine nib. I think I'm the only person in my program who uses fountain pens, I always say that if you spend all day writing it's not unreasonable to try and find a way to enjoy it. I used to write 10-20 pages a day, not so much anymore since most of my work has switched to programming and I'm finishing up my classes. Here's a page from my Electrodynamics notes. IMG_20130203_192254.jpg
I tried to pick a nice looking page! My handwriting has been called neat, but I don't know if it's very inspiring...
Fate, it seems, is not without a sense of irony.

#37 CalvaryMaid

CalvaryMaid

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 February 2013 - 22:31

Here's a photo of some trigonometry using a fountain pen. The green part is Noodlers Cactus Eel Gruene (Pilot 74 Custom, soft medium nib) and the yellow is Noodlers Apache Sunset (Pelikan Tradition M205, medium nib).

Attached Images

• math 001.jpg

Posted Image
Posted Image
Now bridle your horse, cavalry maiden. Soon a furious battle will blaze. Brünnhilde must charge into battle, she must see the Volsung wins. Let Hunding decide where he belongs. I do not require him in Valhalla. So make ready and quickly ride into battle. - Wotan, Act II, Scene 1, Die Walkure

#38 yomero

yomero

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 March 2013 - 02:18

Used it all the time!

Here's some Process control analysis:

Posted Image

And for chemistry too:

Posted Image

Inoxicrom school pen and cartidge ink on thin copy paper. Don't ask about the red, Prof marked with BIC :headsmack:

Regards!
Fancy a postcard? PM me or add yourself to my Postable!

www.postable.com/jctapiaperez

#39 DashRiprock

DashRiprock

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 March 2013 - 13:59

I do it all the time! :)

I recognise that... Lorentz transformations, Michelson + Morely etc...
Pretty soon after that you get to E(K) = m(0) C^2 !!

#40 snedwos

snedwos

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 19:43

The equation that everyone knows, and no-one understands! It would have been more useful if F = ma had been the one to achieve celebrity status...

#41 seffrican

seffrican

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 March 2013 - 20:04

The equation that everyone knows, and no-one understands! It would have been more useful if F = ma had been the one to achieve celebrity status...

Except that it's not generally true...and what does the K mean after the E? That's rest energy, not kinetic.

The Gauss-Green-Stokes-Ostogradskii theorem is something I normally scribble when trying a new pen, it looks very elegant when written with a broad stub, and the symmetry of the two sides makes for an intellectually pleasing visual too.
"Qui plume a, guerre a." - Voltaire

#42 ZachWasniak

ZachWasniak

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 March 2013 - 20:30

Does anyone else do math with a fountain pen? As was the case with penmanship, I hated math in school and didn't study it once I wasn't forced to in school. When I got into fountain pens last year, I read a post here that said that kids in some European countries (probably Germany and/or France, I don't remember which) used fountain pens for math. That inspired me to renew my math studies and to do it using fountain pens exclusively. When I make a mistake, I just cross it out. Sometimes the crossed out parts contain the seeds of the right answer. It's actually neater than using pencil, because when I use a pencil, I press really hard, and the marks don't erase well. I feel that my fountain pen hobby is helping me to explore other interests that I would not have considered before.

I use them in every Class. I hate pencils, plus, using a fountain pen (or any pen for that matter) will make you more cautious of making mistakes.
"If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader."
-John Quincy Adams
"Being honest may not get you a lot of friends, but it will get you the right ones."
-John Lennon

#43 Bernardo

Bernardo

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 March 2013 - 16:07

using a fountain pen (or any pen for that matter) will make you more cautious of making mistakes.

Agree 100% :thumbup:

#44 penrivers

penrivers

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,658 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 16:35

I've passed this thread on to my partner, who I just recently introduced to fountain pens and who even more recently decided to pick up a free Pre-Calc textbook on the internet and work through it.

As much as math is something I probably should get back into, I think my take on this is going to be to get back into Symbolic Logic and do that in fountain pen. :)

Yea. second of secondary school, there is the bifurcation in the way where Jean Piaget is waiting sitting against a tree telling you don't go this way or go this way, I should had hearin him but no I was so full of hubris and proud, sometimes I think I should
go back too, but noop, life is short and I love to read novels, Ah boys, you should get the poetry of maths said the teacher.

#45 senor47

senor47

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 March 2013 - 04:42

And here's some flexy FP convolution:

Posted Image

Hi,

What pen did you use to write the beautiful math!?

Thank you :cloud9:

#46 dcrosier76

dcrosier76

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 April 2013 - 23:05

If only my math notes/homework looked that good on paper.