48 replies to this topic

#31 dogpoet

dogpoet

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 15:23

I've seen vanilla NOS 25s going for silly money over the last few years, never mind the slightly scarcer models. Twenty dollars each for a wholesale lot is definitely a good deal.

#32 RMN

RMN

Museum Piece

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,742 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 January 2013 - 23:32

How about an OHTO F Spirit? only 25 Euro.

Or the new CONID Bulkfiller in black? Pricey but a great pen? Designed by fellow member Fountainbel.

D.ick

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation. :

#33 Andrew H

Andrew H

Chargin' Windmills

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 00:04

Got a sponge?
http://www.fountainp...n-black-finish/
"I hope to add some measure of grace to the world. . . . Whether I win or lose does not matter, only that I follow the quest."

Looking for a Sheaffer Sovereign II Gray Pearl with an EF nib.

#34 dogpoet

dogpoet

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:59

Can't you get the Parker Frontier in black?

#35 SignalboxCat

SignalboxCat

Sitting on the Block-shelf, watching and listening

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 January 2013 - 21:28

How about a Varuna ebonite pen in the Bakul finish?

I have the Rajan (ED with 2-tone Wality nib) in Bakul finish, it's a really good pen and a good price too. Fast becoming a favourite, filled with Kung Te Cheng. (Is also available with German nib and converter if you don't like ED but I have the Wality nib and ED and it's surprisingly good to write with).

Here's a pic on the website of the place I got mine from (no affiliation just a satisfied customer) you need to scroll down a bit:

http://www.andys-pen...net/rajan.shtml

'Cat
"Relay"

SignalboxCat

speak truth unto power

#36 Xqmano

Xqmano

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 January 2013 - 21:36

I recently picked up a Parker 25 in matte black on eBay for about $55. This one has a fine nib and has turned out to be a very reliable writer, it seems to never dry out no matter how long I neglect it.

Posted Image

Another nice one, but also has silver on the grip section.

The other problem with those is that as you have to get them used, they've often had the finish worn shiny by past use. A mint NOS black one that's still got the matt finish can be found, but might not be that much less than a Lamy 2000, sadly.

I would second the Cross ATX, though. That's a really good call, and less than a third of the price of the Lamy, last time I checked.

The ATX has a chrome grip section.

Instagram: @fountainpensnorway

#37 jeremy.g58

jeremy.g58

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 January 2013 - 21:50

I recently picked up a Parker 25 in matte black on eBay for about $55. This one has a fine nib and has turned out to be a very reliable writer, it seems to never dry out no matter how long I neglect it.

Posted Image

Another nice one, but also has silver on the grip section.

The other problem with those is that as you have to get them used, they've often had the finish worn shiny by past use. A mint NOS black one that's still got the matt finish can be found, but might not be that much less than a Lamy 2000, sadly.

I would second the Cross ATX, though. That's a really good call, and less than a third of the price of the Lamy, last time I checked.

The ATX has a chrome grip section.

This is true. I also used one for the first time earlier today and I found it to be a bit too small/light for my tastes. It does look nice tho, just not what I'm looking for. So far the Invincia Stylus still seems to be the frontrunner.
I plug things in, I push buttons, and I pick things up and put them down in different places. And when I have a chance I write things down!

#38 JakobS

JakobS

Far From the Madding Crowd

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 January 2013 - 21:59

I have the Rajan (ED with 2-tone Wality nib) in Bakul finish, it's a really good pen and a good price too. Fast becoming a favourite, filled with Kung Te Cheng. (Is also available with German nib and converter if you don't like ED but I have the Wality nib and ED and it's surprisingly good to write with).

Here's a pic on the website of the place I got mine from (no affiliation just a satisfied customer) you need to scroll down a bit:

'Cat

+1 Really superb pen for the price, And the medium two toned Wality nib is a delight to use, stiff as a nail, but smoooth! The Ebonite is a very nice quality, a very durable pen.
FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me, and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!

For Sale:
TBA

#39 jeremy.g58

jeremy.g58

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 January 2013 - 22:40

'Cat

This is a nice looking pen, although I tend to prefer silver colored hardware to gold. At $88 USD before shipping, however, I would be more inclined to still with the Monteverdes
I plug things in, I push buttons, and I pick things up and put them down in different places. And when I have a chance I write things down!

#40 pokermind

pokermind

Studying Hard - photo by Yau Leung

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 January 2013 - 23:08

Pilot Metropolitan
One of the nicest inexpensive pens available. Got mine at Staples (Use the pulldown on the right side of the page to select the Black Barrel).

#41 jdivitto

jdivitto

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 23:35

i have a well used matte black metal Rotring 600 that is now shiny black. A plastic pen may hold a matte look for longer, but for a metal barrel, don't expect it to stay dull.

#42 m13a8

m13a8

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 23:43

Pilot Metropolitan
One of the nicest inexpensive pens available. Got mine at Staples (Use the pulldown on the right side of the page to select the Black Barrel).

I just got my Metropolitan in yesterday and I'd have to agree with this. I tacked one on to my last order and couldn't be happier that I did.

#43 chiaroscuro

chiaroscuro

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 14:12

I was going to recommend the Invincia Stylus based on the topic's title, but you're already there. The Monteverde styli (styluses? styli) work wonderfully, I've heard. I wish they'd come out with a smaller version.

#44 Cognaticrotty

Cognaticrotty

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 January 2013 - 14:15

I was going to recommend the Invincia Stylus based on the topic's title, but you're already there. The Monteverde styli (styluses? styli) work wonderfully, I've heard. I wish they'd come out with a smaller version.

Just ordered mine yesterday in the matte black, and cannot wait for It to get here.
Signature left blank per new rules...

#45 chiaroscuro

chiaroscuro

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 14:23

Just ordered mine yesterday in the matte black, and cannot wait for It to get here.

Lucky you. :glare: I'm going to have to get a Monteverde Poquito instead, as I'm not a fan of larger pens. (Poquito means "little bit" in Spanish)

#46 jeremy.g58

jeremy.g58

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 January 2013 - 23:45

Pilot Metropolitan

Well, I have one in the mail now. It will have to tide me over till I am able to spend a little more on something more expensive :P

Good to hear. I will most likely get one in a couple months or so!

#47 Brien Crotty

Brien Crotty

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:10

My favorite matte black pen is a Visconti Homo Sapiens. May be a bit bigger than you're after, but the smoothest writer I've ever tried!

B

#48 bfg

bfg

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:23

Look at #360471779556 on Ebay. This a Japanese Wancher pen that comes in matt black. A dead ringer for a Lamy 2000 but a tiny bit smaller, a steel nib, black metal instead of Makrolon and a cartridge/converter pen. Still, a nice writing pen, great fit and finish and $50. I've bought a lot of pens from this dealer. He's very reliable.

#49 basterma

basterma

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:54

Tombow Object

http://www.tombow.co.../object_05.html