48 replies to this topic

#31 Harlequin

Harlequin

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,791 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:41

That is one fine looking pen there! But can you show pics of exactly where the O-ring is? Also, I would love it if you started a new thread detailing the conversion of the pen, just in the event anyone else would like to do it. I know it doesn't seem like many steps, but you never know how that helps someone who is nervous about it. I've searched a good bit for one here on FPN but never did find one specifically about the NNS.

NNSbadge.png

#32 themidnightmiss

themidnightmiss

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:36

With the O-ring, I slipped it over where the threads to the body are, so that the barrel meets it when it's closing. I'm at school right now, but I'll see if I can get a pic sometime this weekend. What I tried is just like what is common with the platinum preppy eyedropper conversions I've seen. Goulet Pens (I <3 them!) has made a great video tutorial regarding how to convert a platinum preppy to an eyedropper, and I did basically the same thing. I'll see if I can find it in a minute.

I don't know if I want to post a tutorial quite yet, as I noticed the threads just slightly rub against the o-ring. What I'm guessing this means is that the o-ring will wear out a tad sooner, so it would be good to have a backup. I have a little thingy of silicone grease and packet of o-rings (I used one of the kind that Goulet Pens sells for the preppies) just sitting in my backpack, so it's not a problem for me if that happens. We'll see! ;) So far, so good- no issues and the pen writes really well, I'm happy as a clam!
Posted Image

#33 Harlequin

Harlequin

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,791 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:38

How does it handle "blurping" Have you had any issues with that yet?

NNSbadge.png

#34 themidnightmiss

themidnightmiss

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:40

Alright, I'm still at school (so no sound on the computers), but I believe this is the right tutorial. This is the principle idea I've followed when I've converted a lot of my pens to eyedroppers:

Posted Image

#35 Harlequin

Harlequin

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,791 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:45

Alright, I'm still at school (so no sound on the computers), but I believe this is the right tutorial. This is the principle idea I've followed when I've converted a lot of my pens to eyedroppers:

Really late class! LOL!

NNSbadge.png

#36 themidnightmiss

themidnightmiss

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:50

I haven't had it blurp yet, but it's also over half full. I've had that happen with almost all of my eyedroppers, though, so I expect it will at some point. Heh-heh, yeah, my classes are at more reasonable hours, but I'm a night owl. I also have to study +/- 60 hours a week outside of class, so I end up here REALLY late a lot. My favorite time to study is after most other students have gone- then I get my choice of places for peace and quiet! ;) Speaking of which- right this very moment I am procrastinating regarding a take-home exam on neuromuscular pathology. Ugh. :wacko:
Posted Image

#37 Harlequin

Harlequin

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,791 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:29

Well, it may make you happy to know that it seems that NNS nibs are among the best at preventing "blurping". Teri from Peyton Street Pens is actually using them exclusively when making other pens into ED (Ranga pens I think?). At least, that's how I understand it from the posts shes' made.

NNSbadge.png

#38 mrcharlie

mrcharlie

Peacock Blue

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:09

Read this page about feeds.

#39 themidnightmiss

themidnightmiss

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:54

Ok, I am finally both at home and conscious, so I took a picture to show where I put the o-ring. Like I said, it does touch the threads (edit: of the cap) lightly while closing, so I'm willing to bet it will wear down more quickly than o-rings do in some other eyedropper conversions. That said, I haven't had a problem at all, and am pretty delighted with it. I have a little thingy of silicone grease and extra o-rings in my school bag, so I'm not worried. If money weren't a little tight, I'd totally get another!

mr. charlie- that was a cool article! Admittedly partly over my head, but neat to know the history.

Attached Images

• oring location.JPG

Edited by themidnightmiss, 28 January 2013 - 02:55.

Posted Image

#40 Harlequin

Harlequin

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,791 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:36

When you look at it while using itm, can you actually notice the discoloration at all? it is right there where the threads are, which means the fed/section (which is of course black) is also there, so I'm wondering if someone could even tell unless they really looked?

NNSbadge.png

#41 Scribero ergo sum

Scribero ergo sum

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 20:54

Ok, now I'm very excited! I tried just adding some silicone grease, and using one of the platinum preppy-sized o-rings I had, and it worked perfectly to convert it to an eyedropper! Yay! So, after flushing out the pen a bit and that conversion, I added in some of Noodler's Apache Sunset (I love Noodler's too and I wanted to pick an ink I was pretty familiar with). Voila- it writes pretty smoothly! And the 'cool little bubble of air going back in forth in the ink' effect is really cool! I'm very excited! Can everyone see the pictures? I hope I did it correctly. :)

If it's possible to say a pen is epic (and where better then FPN?), this is epic. That's one of the coolest eyedroppers I've seen. Way to go, nicely done.

Btw, how's it holding up? Is the O-ring and whatnot else doing the job, keeping the ink sealed, etc.?

Edited by Scribero ergo sum, 30 January 2013 - 20:55.

#42 Harlequin

Harlequin

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,791 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 19:16

5 minutes to go for anyone else who wants one! Unless you want the BP version (easily converted to a FP), for $5 more. But, it has no discoloration it seems.

Edited by Harlequin, 07 February 2013 - 19:16.

NNSbadge.png

#43 Harlequin

Harlequin

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,791 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 19:29

Well, it look like the seller has auto-renewed that "auction" for another 30 days! SO all of you lucky lucky people who were on the fence before, time to grab yours now, lol!

NNSbadge.png

#44 Harlequin

Harlequin

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,791 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:51

I haven't had it blurp yet, but it's also over half full. I've had that happen with almost all of my eyedroppers, though, so I expect it will at some point. Heh-heh, yeah, my classes are at more reasonable hours, but I'm a night owl. I also have to study +/- 60 hours a week outside of class, so I end up here REALLY late a lot. My favorite time to study is after most other students have gone- then I get my choice of places for peace and quiet! ;) Speaking of which- right this very moment I am procrastinating regarding a take-home exam on neuromuscular pathology. Ugh. :wacko:

It's been a little while longer now, 3+ weeks since that comment, have you had any blurping issues yet?

If it's possible to say a pen is epic (and where better then FPN?), this is epic. That's one of the coolest eyedroppers I've seen. Way to go, nicely done.
Btw, how's it holding up? Is the O-ring and whatnot else doing the job, keeping the ink sealed, etc.?

How is the o-ring holding up? You did mention that it is contacting the threads of the cap, has that had any impact on the o-ring that you can see yet?

As you probably guessed from my posts above, I got one back on the 7th. I am waiting to do the conversion until I can get an o-ring (I don't have any pens that have them, not even a Preppy), so I am particularly interested in how yours is doing.

NNSbadge.png

#45 themidnightmiss

themidnightmiss

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:15

Sorry for the absence- I am in midterm purgatory, and it is very unpleasant!

Anywho- I don't notice the discoloration at the end of the barrel towards the nib, but I'm also not too worried about it. I have it in front of me right now, and when I am looking for discoloration, I can see it. What is definitely noticeable is the discoloration on the cap. Again, this doesn't bother me- I think it makes it all the more interesting-looking (kind of more 'distinguished,' like wrinkles on a person's face).
Posted Image

#46 themidnightmiss

themidnightmiss

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:22

OOh- twinsies! Congrats on the pen! Isn't it cool? But, yes, mine is holding up very well with the o-ring.

I have also been doing an experiment. After reading about the feeds of Scheaffers, I decided to take one for the team and just keep writing with it until it started blurping. In my experience, most eyedropper pens start blurping at around 1/2 to 1/3 full, depends on the feed, etc. Well, I am pleased to report that my pen's down to just over 1/4 full, and it hasn't blurped yet! It hasn't had any leakage with abrupt temperature change either!

It's really a trooper, I'm very pleased with it. I thought it was just going to be a mostly sentimental purchase, but it's turning out to be quite the little workhorse of a pen too. :)
Posted Image

#47 Harlequin

Harlequin

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,791 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:47

That is great information- and just what I wanted to hear! Of course, now I have to try and find an o-ring. Btw- NICE badge in your signature!

Edited by Harlequin, 16 February 2013 - 09:37.

NNSbadge.png

#48 themidnightmiss

themidnightmiss

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:04

;) I get most of my assorted pen supplies from Goulet Pens, but they say you can find o-rings at the hardware store. I'm also pretty sure they are the kind used to hold large-gauge jewelry in ears, so I bet you could find some at a piercing shop, if you knew the size you needed. I can't really tell the size of mine from eyeballing it, but you don't want it super-tight. That reminds me of a good tip I forgot about, regarding using o-rings to convert pens to eyedroppers: don't screw the barrel on super-duper tight, or you'll just damage the o-ring. Just screwing it on 'firmly' will do the trick. (What I mean will be more obvious when you're actually doing the conversion, I hope.)
Posted Image

#49 Sailor Kenshin

Sailor Kenshin

Heart of sword

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,655 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 February 2013 - 13:25

I got a few at the hardware store. If I had been thinking clearly I'd have brought the pen along with me.

Usually they run less than a buck each. I already have one eyedropper pen, a Recife Crystal, which hasn't blurped at all so far. It's possible blurping has to do with the feed structure.