Need Some Advice Regarding A Hunt For A Specific Sheaffer

themidnightmiss

I have no connection with the seller but this guy has more than 10 available http://cgi.ebay.com/...ME:B:SS:US:1123

I looked them over but they are a bit pricy for me. Too bad he doesn't sell them at Todd's Sheaffer NOS prices.

Lol, that's the same seller mentioned in the OP that both themidnightmiss and I contacted; they re-listed the original auction- with a price hike, for good measure- since there seems to have been an explosion of interest all of a sudden! lol.

The old button style convertor and the squeeze type convertor should work. Both are available from Teri at Peyton St. The slim targa convertor will not.

Wandering off topic for a moment. I received in the mail today 2 new sets of three specialty NN calligraphy nibs XF, B4(XB) and SH4 Shadow. They are currently listed for $10 per set. The B4 will be useful for large Gothic letters, the shadow is interesting but I am not sure about the XF. It may only be good to write Japanese letters or to add flourishes to something. It does not seem to be much thicker than a standard M nib nor has much line variation. If only it could be modified to be a flexible nib.

I also have the 4B and SH-4 . Somehow, I lost my XF though. If you find yourself not too thrilled with it, I volunteer to give it a good home. ;) Andf btw, the SH-4 is fun.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Harlequin

• themidnightmiss

• Sailor Kenshin

• mrcharlie

I just checked and apparently, that discoloration is probably not related to a reaction with another part of the pen- b/c the same seller has this as well:

Clear Sheaffer NNS Rollerball

But notice, it's actually even more expensive! The price went up for that one- another $5 to (basically) $40 before shipping. Of course, it doesn't look like it has any discoloration either (or it's very slight compared to the others). That leads me to wonder if it may be possible to actually clean the the discoloration off.

Edited by Harlequin

You do need to yank the spring out of the end of the barrel to do this. Section threads and inner cap are the same.

I didn't think the NN BP had an inner cap, at least the one that I have doesn't.

You do need to yank the spring out of the end of the barrel to do this. Section threads and inner cap are the same.

I didn't think the NN BP had an inner cap, at least the one that I have doesn't.

My only standard No nonsense has no (plastic) inner cap either. My NN Oldtimers have inner caps. The Le Black and Le Bordeaux likewise have it. Also all my NN Vintage have inner caps except the Marble Red which started life as a ball pen before I converted it into a fountain pen. The NN Stainless Steel has no inner cap.

fpn_1434850097__cocursive.jpg

Ok, I confess- I did buy one from the seller, and I got it today! I'm so excited! It does have an inner cap that is a little more opaque than the rest of the cap. I will try and take some pics to post this weekend. I haven't inked it up yet either, but I'm pretty happy. The feed seems to have some kind of metal around the inner portion that receives cartridges, so I'm going to do some more research regarding how to convert No-nonsenses to eyedroppers (i.e., is the metal I see removable?). If I have any issues, I'll have to see about getting a converter, or maybe digging up some cartridges I have stuffed away. (None of my other pens are used as cartridge pens.) I'm so excited! :cloud9:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/25425623/Virtual%20Pen%20Posse/NNSbadge.png

The feed seems to have some kind of metal around the inner portion that receives cartridges, so I'm going to do some more research regarding how to convert No-nonsenses to eyedroppers (i.e., is the metal I see removable?). If I have any issues, I'll have to see about getting a converter, or maybe digging up some cartridges I have stuffed away.

You don't need to remove the metal around the feed post; that was made to penetrate a cartridge and be in contact with ink. Same sort of stainless steel as the nib.

You can use Sheaffer cartridges with it; you don't have to use a convertor. My local Staples has Sheaffer cartridges in black only, 5 pack for less than $5. Assuming that is faster or cheaper to obtain than the right o-ring and pure silicon grease to eye-dropper it, if you don't have those already. I've never eye-droppered one, so I don't know the right o-ring to get. It is likely the grease would be enough in the short run, and you could add the o-ring later.

Ooo- thanks for the info, mrcharlie! Ok- I'll see if I can figure out how to post some of the pics I took, and then I'll see how things work out as an eyedropper.

Thus far, in terms of appearance- The body does have little micro-scratches, and there is discoloration that I am guessing is permanent. So I really don't think this is a good idea if you're looking for a pristine-looking pen. That said, I am so excited and happy to have it in my hands, the scratches don't bother me at all. The nib is a medium. Ok, I'll try for the pics now...

post-94446-0-50252600-1358050970.jpg

post-94446-0-34382100-1358050990.jpg

post-94446-0-32952900-1358050945.jpg

post-94446-0-64739500-1358050957.jpg

post-94446-0-62999000-1358050921.jpg

Ok, now I'm very excited! I tried just adding some silicone grease, and using one of the platinum preppy-sized o-rings I had, and it worked perfectly to convert it to an eyedropper! Yay! So, after flushing out the pen a bit and that conversion, I added in some of Noodler's Apache Sunset (I love Noodler's too and I wanted to pick an ink I was pretty familiar with). Voila- it writes pretty smoothly! And the 'cool little bubble of air going back in forth in the ink' effect is really cool! I'm very excited! Can everyone see the pictures? I hope I did it correctly. :)

post-94446-0-51743100-1358052929.jpg

post-94446-0-31140300-1358052939.jpg

Oh, I'm sorry- that paper is from a Fabriano EcoQua journal. It's cool paper but I can't get the pages to stay in! It's sort of a pale ivory shade of paper. :)

That is one fine looking pen there! But can you show pics of exactly where the O-ring is? Also, I would love it if you started a new thread detailing the conversion of the pen, just in the event anyone else would like to do it. I know it doesn't seem like many steps, but you never know how that helps someone who is nervous about it. I've searched a good bit for one here on FPN but never did find one specifically about the NNS.

With the O-ring, I slipped it over where the threads to the body are, so that the barrel meets it when it's closing. I'm at school right now, but I'll see if I can get a pic sometime this weekend. What I tried is just like what is common with the platinum preppy eyedropper conversions I've seen. Goulet Pens (I <3 them!) has made a great video tutorial regarding how to convert a platinum preppy to an eyedropper, and I did basically the same thing. I'll see if I can find it in a minute.

I don't know if I want to post a tutorial quite yet, as I noticed the threads just slightly rub against the o-ring. What I'm guessing this means is that the o-ring will wear out a tad sooner, so it would be good to have a backup. I have a little thingy of silicone grease and packet of o-rings (I used one of the kind that Goulet Pens sells for the preppies) just sitting in my backpack, so it's not a problem for me if that happens. We'll see! ;) So far, so good- no issues and the pen writes really well, I'm happy as a clam!

Alright, I'm still at school (so no sound on the computers), but I believe this is the right tutorial. This is the principle idea I've followed when I've converted a lot of my pens to eyedroppers:

Alright, I'm still at school (so no sound on the computers), but I believe this is the right tutorial. This is the principle idea I've followed when I've converted a lot of my pens to eyedroppers:

Really late class! LOL!

I haven't had it blurp yet, but it's also over half full. I've had that happen with almost all of my eyedroppers, though, so I expect it will at some point. Heh-heh, yeah, my classes are at more reasonable hours, but I'm a night owl. I also have to study +/- 60 hours a week outside of class, so I end up here REALLY late a lot. My favorite time to study is after most other students have gone- then I get my choice of places for peace and quiet! ;) Speaking of which- right this very moment I am procrastinating regarding a take-home exam on neuromuscular pathology. Ugh. :wacko:

Well, it may make you happy to know that it seems that NNS nibs are among the best at preventing "blurping". Teri from Peyton Street Pens is actually using them exclusively when making other pens into ED (Ranga pens I think?). At least, that's how I understand it from the posts shes' made.

Ok, I am finally both at home and conscious, so I took a picture to show where I put the o-ring. Like I said, it does touch the threads (edit: of the cap) lightly while closing, so I'm willing to bet it will wear down more quickly than o-rings do in some other eyedropper conversions. That said, I haven't had a problem at all, and am pretty delighted with it. I have a little thingy of silicone grease and extra o-rings in my school bag, so I'm not worried. If money weren't a little tight, I'd totally get another!

mr. charlie- that was a cool article! Admittedly partly over my head, but neat to know the history.

post-94446-0-69308300-1359341268.jpg

Edited by themidnightmiss

When you look at it while using itm, can you actually notice the discoloration at all? it is right there where the threads are, which means the fed/section (which is of course black) is also there, so I'm wondering if someone could even tell unless they really looked?