Need Some Advice Regarding A Hunt For A Specific Sheaffer

themidnightmiss

Hi Sheaffer fans! I am hoping someone here could offer a newbie some advice.

My mother used (and still uses) a red No nonsense for her fine writing and calligraphy, so I've developed a sentimentality for that pen. I thought, now that I'm discovering fountain pens myself, I'd like to have one of my own. This would be easily solved, if I weren't nutty about clear pens specifically.

I've seen a few bits of evidence that No nonsense demonstrators exist. Here's the link to an ebay auction I saw that I missed out on:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sheaffer-No-Nonsense-View-Thru-Cartridge-Pen-CLEAR-/350373309478?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&nma=true&si=shF2oZl7GoYUL8Os8E7NuLKIPSQ%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

And here is a link to a picture that had another in it:

http://www.sheaffertarga.com/No-nonsense/Normal%20No%20Nonsense.html

So my question is this- where should I be looking? Are they really uncommon? I've found a bunch of translucent pens in colors, but can't seem to find a plain clear pen anywhere. :gaah: Any advice? Thanks guys!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/25425623/Virtual%20Pen%20Posse/NNSbadge.png

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Harlequin

• themidnightmiss

• Sailor Kenshin

• mrcharlie

HOLY!!! I want one!!! I've seen the see through colored ones, I just saw a red one on ebay actually- but man, I didn't even KNOW they made these!

I just noticed in that picture (not the auction) that the only pictured clear NNS is actually a roller ball pen. I wonder if any clear fountain pens were actually ever produced, or if someone just "converted" a BP to a FP? I don't know how the BPs look, but I've found a "collar" (i guess it's called) that will convert a FP to a RB, but I don't know if the RBs were made the same way so that a conversion could go both ways?

Edited by Harlequin

Just some other info- Sheaffer did make, apparently, a clear "school" pen as well (image from penhero.com):

http://penhero.com/PenGallery/Sheaffer/Pics/SheafferNoNonsense10.jpg

Although it doesn't look the same, it does lend credence to the possibility that a clear NNS was produced at one point.

Well, it's good to know that it's not just me. I am still so mad at myself for not going for it on that auction! :doh: I am guessing I should just keep an eye on ebay, then? Maybe I'll get the courage up to write the company- if i do I'll post about it!

The italic nib section will fit any No Nonsens body, so if you have your dream body you can use your italic nibs with it. If I remember correctly, the ball point body will also take a fountain pen nib section.

The italic nib section will fit any No Nonsens body, so if you have your dream body you can use your italic nibs with it. If I remember correctly, the ball point body will also take a fountain pen nib section.

You do need to yank the spring out of the end of the barrel to do this. Section threads and inner cap are the same.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Thanks for the tips, guys! Now I know other places to investigate, and, should I not be able to find one pre-made, I can make my own. ;) Right now, the seller of the original auction that piqued my curiosity is possibly investigating for me to see if s/he has any more. I can hardly sit still, I hope so!

I emailed that seller too, they only redirected me to their website/storefront. There were no clear pens there and I haven't heard back from them on the "research" turning up anything. I don't think anything will come of it, but I am keeping my eye on it neverthless. Right now I'm searching mostly for RB NNSes, so I can just change the nib out.

Well- I'm crossing my fingers for us! My winter term has just started (I'm in school for vet med), so my life is about to be subsumed. My efforts to hunt one down may lose some velocity for a while. But if immediate gratification is not in the cards, I can wait! I also emailed one of the few email addresses I could find related to Sheaffer pens, but haven't heard anything back. I'll share if I do.

ditto here, i'll make sure to send any information i get your way. Btw, that is so cool you are going to school for vet med! i would have loved to do that! you should totally become an exotics vet, so that you can treat ferrets! ;)

I am at school so I have to make it quick (though I have to mention- I do intend to work with exotics- I love ferrets, had and volunteered with them for years!)- the seller re-listed the auction with the clear pens! Obviously, I can't endorse it or anything, but I wanted to share so that others may be aware of it, should they choose to go that route. :D And Sailor Kenshin- those are some totally sweet caps!

LOL, the seller went up by $5 too, from the last time it was offered. I really want this, but I don't know, with the reddish discoloration, if paying almost $40 is a good idea (after s/h). Oh, plus, until I convert it (which I'm still slightly nervous about), I would need a converter to use it. How much do those run?

Edited by Harlequin

I just couldn't help myself- I had to get one. The sentimental value I attach to that sort of Sheaffer is really high, so I'm very excited. Even if it doesn't work, or (more likely) I break it or something, this will be one I keep. Reminds me of my mom sitting in the dining room and writing out the addresses for her Christmas cards already. :cloud9:

Even if you end up breaking it or it leaks or whatever, I definitely recommend getting another! I have two currently, my first ever FP (black translucent) and a solid white one. I plan to always have at least one lying around, I'll tell you that!

LOL, the seller went up by $5 too, from the last time it was offered. I really want this, but I don't know, with the reddish discoloration, if paying almost $40 is a good idea (after s/h). Oh, plus, until I convert it (which I'm still slightly nervous about), I would need a converter to use it. How much do those run?

I remember seeing some on fleabay... Probsbly under $10? The only Sheaffer con I have is the gold one that came with my Legacy, and I didn't even know how to use it until my Sheaffer buddy showed me. :blush:

teh bay

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

I remember seeing some on fleabay... Probsbly under $10? The only Sheaffer con I have is the gold one that came with my Legacy, and I didn't even know how to use it until my Sheaffer buddy showed me. :blush:

teh bay

The old button style convertor and the squeeze type convertor should work. Both are available from Teri at Peyton St. The slim targa convertor will not.

Wandering off topic for a moment. I received in the mail today 2 new sets of three specialty NN calligraphy nibs XF, B4(XB) and SH4 Shadow. They are currently listed for $10 per set. The B4 will be useful for large Gothic letters, the shadow is interesting but I am not sure about the XF. It may only be good to write Japanese letters or to add flourishes to something. It does not seem to be much thicker than a standard M nib nor has much line variation. If only it could be modified to be a flexible nib.

Edited by barleycorn