Dearest Friends and Visitors of the Fountain Pen Network,
We have started implementing the changes we promised here: Upcoming Changes To FPN
Please do read the linked message above.

Photo

Montblanc 139

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#31 xianyen

xianyen

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:20

I would think it may have been repaired like Max said, but with vintage MB's anything is possible! :)

Enjoy the pen!

I guess I will never know unless the experts can tell & then there would not be too many here down under so unless I need any repairs I will do as you say& just enjoy the pen.

#32 mase001

mase001

EQV

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:04

Would it change how much you liked the pen if you found out that it had been repaired back in the 1940's versus if it came out of the factory like that? :)

Either way it is an AWESOME original MB!

#33 xianyen

xianyen

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:48

Would it change how much you liked the pen if you found out that it had been repaired back in the 1940's versus if it came out of the factory like that? :)

Either way it is an AWESOME original MB!

No not really.i was born during the war & was lucky to survive as the house next door was bombed so I am happy that this pen survived too & will be loved & looked after.Thanks for your encouragement.

#34 Maxpens

Maxpens

Max

• Premium - Emerald

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:26

[/quote]
Hi Max,
Thank you for going to all the trouble of looking & then posting your findings?Can I assume from what you have said that the 139 pen I have has been repaired or is it possible some of the war models were made from any available parts which could have included parts without imprints.?
Do you think this devalues the pen to any extent assuming everything else is genuine?
Thanks again for your reply.
Richard
[/quote]

Hi Richard,

I just checked the other pictures of the auction. Nice pen and a very good price for this 139. I would say that the mechanism, for any reason, was changed in the past with a spare part mechanism. As you wrote; normally there is a imprint. From this point of view a 139 without imprint in original design is rare. I have some 138 without imprint, but not one 139 ( only the mechanism )
But all this discussion about rare or not rare is a question of philosophy.

kind regards

Max
HANDMADE PENS : www.astoria-hamburg.com ; REPAIRSERVICE : www.maxpens.de ; by MONTBLANC recommended repair service for antique pens

#35 specialk0449

specialk0449

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:48

All 3 of my 139's have the imprint and two them have the nib size imprinted also. In my opinion you got a very deal on your pen. Enjoy it for many years to come.

#36 xianyen

xianyen

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:54

Thanks for replying.You are indeed fortunate to have 3 lovely 139 pens.