Sheaffer Balance Ii Aspen In Heavy Use

sunrise

Hi!

I have a beautiful Sheaffer Balance II Aspen fountain pen that I rarely used because I feared it would crack. It has a very smooth EF nib and is one of my best writers. I want to use it more often, as my daily writer now. But what if it cracks? Is there any glue out there with which I can repair the pen if cracks appear on the acrylic body? Whenever I come across this pen I think it`s a shame not to use it.It has signs of wear already - the goldplating on the first Ring of the nib section is coming off in flakes. But besides this it still looks very good.

Greetings,

sunrise

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ron Z

• OcalaFlGuy

• Shinfay

• sunrise

I'm interested in this too. I bought a Balance II a few months ago and I'd like to use it more, but I'm concerned with what I've read about the delicate nature of the pen. It pretty much just lives in my pen tray looking pretty. A shame -- it's a good looking, comfortable to hold pen.

Thus far I haven't found a solvent that will fuse the acryic. A CA glue might work to some degree, but I wouldn't expect it to hold up for an extended period of time.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

That's the only reason I don't have at least a few of the B2s.

Here's the way I'd look at it if it were me.

I've heard of them cracking when unfilled and not even being used in their own cushy pen cases.

How would I feel if I'd never inked a beautiful Mellenium and I finally went to use it and it was cracked. :crybaby:

Use Them Now. Uncracked. You may not get that chance someday.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

I had an Aspen. It was on cap #3, maybe cap #4 when I sold it. One of the caps cracked, sitting in it's box, in my safe.

The problem is that it's a compressed, not cast or extruded acrylic. There are stresses running all through the material, and it just lets go for no apparent reason when it's ready. It's also AWFUL, HORRIBLE material to machine. I have some of the Tiger Eye rod stock and have relegated it to making handles for tools.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Good point Bruce! I'm going to get my Millennium out and ink it up!!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I've heard of them cracking when unfilled and not even being used in their own cushy pen cases.

How would I feel if I'd never inked a beautiful Mellenium and I finally went to use it and it was cracked. :crybaby:

Use Them Now. Uncracked. You may not get that chance someday.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

The very reason I avoid these beautiful pens. I have a Balance II Classic Black. The Classic solid colors are stable and not known to auto-crack.

fpn_1357446301__blugru.jpg

A few days back, I chanced upon these two vibrant Sheaffer Balance II Classic Solids offered for $100 each. I put both of them in my shopping cart and was I ready to check out. My credit card protested. After the holidays shopping madness the credit card isn't ready yet. What a find! I've never seen nor heard about these colors before.

Ben R

fpn_1434850097__cocursive.jpg

• 7 months later...

Hi sunrise,

I´ve finally got a Sheaffer Balance II in Jade Green that was NOS and has no cracks on it, I started to use it as my daily writer at work so I would like to ask how is your Balance II Aspen by now?

Thanks.

Well, I´ve read a lot about the fragility of the marble Balance II compared to the OS Balance and the plain colour Balance II, so maybe anyone who uses a Sheaffer Balance II in their pen rotation can answer my question: has your marble Balance II cracked in "normal" use during this years of service?

Thanks a lot.

Edited by Shinfay

Since my original comment above, I HAVE found a solvent that works with the Balance marbled acrylic. Which means that yes, I can repair cracks. I have a Jade Balance on that split between the cap bands that I'm "use testing" now. It's been a month, and no problems. But the solvent is still something that the average individual can not obtain.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens

But the solvent is still something that the average individual can not obtain.

Even with my limited exposure to the hipo solvents, I'd say there's probably Real Good reason for that. (Both from a material And User safety angle.)

Bruce in Ocala, Fl