Composite Of Lettering Styles

caliken

I love line numbers 2 & 8 and would love to see the full range of lower and upper case letters so that I could try to write like this.

How do I get them?

Hello Chrissy , You must remember that only a computer can write like shown lines , .that you refer to . Freehand is never as perfect as this .

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• caliken

• thang1thang2

• Anne-Sophie

• Chrissy

Hello Chrissy , You must remember that only a computer can write like shown lines , .that you refer to . Freehand is never as perfect as this .

I think you're mistaken, as the entire composite was written freehand with only the use of guides to help the eye.

I think you're mistaken, as the entire composite was written freehand with only the use of guides to help the eye.

+ 1. Actually, computers don't handle letter spacing nearly as pleasingly as the old Mark I eyeball.

When I first read the above post, I believed McMillan was speaking in jest. If he wasn't, I think he should probably check the bottom of his shoes.

The liberty of the press is indeed essential to the nature of a free state; but this consists in laying no previous restraints upon publications, and not in freedom from censure for criminal matter when published. Every freeman has an undoubted right to lay what sentiments he pleases before the public; to forbid this, is to destroy the freedom of the press; but if he publishes what is improper, mischievous or illegal, he must take the consequence of his own temerity. (4 Bl. Com. 151, 152.) Blackstone's Commentaries

thang1thang2 and Mickey are correct; it was all handwritten. I know that some calligraphers prefer a looser approach, but when I'm told occasionally, that my writing looks like it was produced by a computer, I'm happy to take it as a compliment. :blush:

Ken

Edited by caliken

Another sincere thank you. While certainly not studying calligraphy (at this point), I am trying to improve my handwriting. It's nice to have these all on the same page.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow

These are amazing. I have no handwriting skills at all. I so need to practice

Thank you

Caliken what is number 11, the one which starts with "useful" and stops with "maturity"?

I might have gotten the number wrong hence the use of the head and tail words of the phrase.

Is that hand suitable for round nibs (everyday writing)?

Thank you so much for that beautiful list!

Number 11 is English Roundhand, more commonly known as Copperplate. The full basic alphabet and a written example, are shown in the pinned "Depository" topic. Because of the shading, it's a bit slow for everyday use but could be written monoline.

I hoped that this helps.

Ken

Thank you so much Ken!

I also love your very own "made up style", it is very stylish! A great blend of historical flair and ease of rendition that even mere fountain pen users who are fighting chicken scratch at every turn, can learn.

I look forward to the creation of the Fraserian alphabet!

Thank you for sharing your vast knowledge with us. :)

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

Beautiful examples! Would it be possible for someone to list the name of each style? In particular I'm curious about the line that begins "Legibility and elegance ..." line number 17.

EDIT: It looks very similar to the examples posted here, described as "English running hand."

http://www.brainpickings.org/index.php/2012/12/21/how-to-write-letters-1876/

EDIT 2: Which look to me a lot like Spencerian but with shortened "tails" on words, and shorter capitals. (And with that I've answered my own question.)

Edited by Desultor

• 2 weeks later...

In particular I'm curious about the line that begins "Legibility and elegance ..." line number 17.

Sorry for the late reply.

Yes, line 17 is Spencerian Script.

• 2 weeks later...

Beautiful! I hope you don't mind it is now my desktop wallpaper. Is the Madarasz script derived from Spencerian or Copperplate?

I'm delighted that you want to use my post as desktop wallpaper.

The Madarasz hand was his variation of Roundhand which has strong Spencerian overtones. He called it "Madarasz Script". If you search for "The Madarasz Book" on the IAMPETH site you'll find several examples of this hand.

Ken

Font designer Ale Paul of Sudtipos designed a wonderful "ode to Louis Madarasz" font called Burgues Script.

http://www.sudtipos.com/fonts/97

Send me a PM if you would like additional information on this beautiful font.

James

P.S. Beautiful work Ken!

Interested in pointed-pen calligraphy and penmanship?

http://www.iampeth.com/lessons.php Lessons

http://www.iampeth.com/books.php Vintage Books

http://www.iampeth.com/videos.php How-to Videos

Thanks, James.

This quote by Robert Fripp is written in the style of "Madarasz Script" with an Esterbrook 357 nib and Higgins Eternal black ink on Clairefontaine paper. The angle of the writing is 47 degrees from the horizontal and the x height is 6mm.

Ken

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd289/caliken_2007/madarasz11th.jpg

Edited by caliken

• 4 weeks later...

so many kind of calligraphy script!!!really wonderful................

Edited by tdzb36

Ken, if we were still wearing corsets, we would be fainting at the sight of these most beautiful "Madarasz Script" style!

Bringing beauty to words, simply amazing!

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

• 5 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Just to explain -

As I am no longer participating in this Forum, I have removed my images and videos as I can use some of them commercially, elsewhere.

Ken