#1 sclark18

sclark18

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:12

Good Evening - I recently purchased sets of Sheaffer Snorkel pen & pencil sets. Now I am having difficulty figuring out which models I have. I will describe them separately so I don't confuse myself.

1. One reason I am confused on the this set is because although the pen and pencil match the pen has a Clipper label and the pencil has a Sentinel label. They are black with a two tone cap and a white dot,. Cap is silver with a repeating pattern of 4 graduated lines. It has a gold clip (no name on it) and gold band. The nib is an open, two toned, 14k, F3. It measures 5 5/8" long. (pictures 1,2 & 3)

2. Is black with a silver cap & gold clip. The design on the cap is a repeating pattern of a squiggly line between two straight lines. The nib is an open, two toned, 14k, m3. It measure 5 5/8" long. (pictures 4 & 5)

I am hoping for proper identification and year of production.... and always appreciate addition information and comments. (I can add more pictures tomorrow if needed)

As always... thank you for your time,
Shawn

Attached Images

• IMG_5296.jpg
  • IMG_5293.jpg
  • IMG_5295.jpg
  • IMG_5309.jpg
  • IMG_5305z.jpg

#2 mhosea

mhosea

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:59

I'm just learning about these things, so don't take this too seriously.

The last two, the ones without cap bands that say Sheaffer'S on the clips, look like Sovereigns to me.

The first pair is indeed interesting. Maybe that's a Sentinel or Clipper cap on a Sovereign body? I just thought Clippers and Sentinels both had Triumph nibs, PdAg and 14k, respectively

I know my id is "mhosea", but you can call me Mike. It's an old Unix thing.

#3 Happy Harry

Happy Harry

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:29

Okay, the first pen has the wrong cap. It's a Sovereign and the second is a "correct" Sovereign. One has a fine nib (F3) and one a medium (M3). This particular model Snorkel is my favorite as a user pen, although most prefer the "triumph" nib. I wouldn't be too worried about the "wrong" cap, it's only looks and if it "bugs" you it be changed later on as all snorkel caps are interchangeable.

#4 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,576 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:10

very beautiful set :thumbup:
Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time
Posted Image

#5 sclark18

sclark18

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 January 2013 - 00:05

Thank you all so much. You have been very helpful as usual. I picked up a few others at the same sale so I'll probably be picking your brains again soon if I can't figure them out or to see if I figured them out correctly.

Shawn