#1 JDiver

JDiver

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:26

Is the nib/feed assembly friction fit or threaded? I'm trying to clean that section of a pen out as a ton of ink was left to dry inside the pen.

#2 JDiver

JDiver

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:34

Ended up just soaking the whole assembly in soapy water for a day. Cleaned out most of the dried ink, but still curious as to how to disassemble the pen further.

#3 Dillo

Dillo

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,527 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 17:38

Hi,

If I remember correctly, the nib and feed are friction-fit in the grip section. Take care when pulling it out so as not to damage the tail of the the feed. The nib and feed in these pens can be very tight.

Dillon

Sheaffer Lady and Parker Falcon fs
Apple Macbook owners, please read!
HP/RPN fellowship

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Dillon

#4 JDiver

JDiver

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 January 2013 - 18:57

If I remember correctly, the nib and feed are friction-fit in the grip section. Take care when pulling it out so as not to damage the tail of the the feed. The nib and feed in these pens can be very tight.

How tight is the fit? I've been tugging at the pen as hard as I can and even wiggling it slightly. I could take a pair of pliers to it (carefully... everything wrapped in rubber); is this what a repair shop would do?

#5 Dillo

Dillo

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,527 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 19:50

Hi,

If it were my repair shop, no.

I have never used pliers on a nib in that manner, and I have repaired hundreds of pens. What I suggest is using a piece of rubber, gripping the nib, and pulling straight out. You don't want to damage the grip section, nib, or feed by rocking it from side to side. If that doesn't work, you should ask someone who repairs nibs to pull it for you for a cleaning. If you want, you can contact me backchannel, and I can see how I can help you.

Dillon

Sheaffer Lady and Parker Falcon fs
Apple Macbook owners, please read!
HP/RPN fellowship

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Dillon

#6 jhoch

jhoch

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:51

I have several Dupont Olympios and the nibs and feeds are all friction fit. I've seen Mike Masuyama disassemble several of my Dupont's to adjust the ink flow.

A good way to clean out the dried ink is to use an ultrasonic cleaner. Another good way is to fit a rubber bulb over the end of the section and suck and expel clean water through the nib/feed/section assembly. Disassembling the nib/feed/section assembly should not be necessary.

Good Luck

-Jeremy

#7 John Cullen

John Cullen

John Cullen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 15:22

careful wiggling that! You can break the feed.

If you have not done so, get some of those cheap disposable latex gloves. Dry the nib and section and then try to pull nib and feed straight out.

It is amazing the leverage you get with dry latex gloves!

#8 JDiver

JDiver

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 January 2013 - 13:57

careful wiggling that! You can break the feed.

If you have not done so, get some of those cheap disposable latex gloves. Dry the nib and section and then try to pull nib and feed straight out.

It is amazing the leverage you get with dry latex gloves!

Thanks for that tip. I'll have to remember to try that the next time I'm feeling the itch to take apart pens.