Dearest Friends and Visitors of the Fountain Pen Network,
We have started implementing the changes we promised here: Upcoming Changes To FPN
Please do read the linked message above.

Photo

Parker 51 Demis Always Scratchy?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jacquesdubois

jacquesdubois

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 23:20

Hello all-

I've mostly been a lurker here since just about all my questions have been answered and then some by just looking through the forum...but not this one.

I have a couple 51 Demis a black one and a green one. I've checked their nibs with my loope, which look all right, and I've flushed and cleaned them out, so much so that both have clear sacs now, and yet they both write scratchy! I've only used black Quink in them and still...scratchy, scratchy!

Does anyone have an idea why my Demis are scratchy?

#2 Tdot

Tdot

Get off my lawn

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 23:31

Sorry I don't have a solution, but I have two Demi 51's, and they write as nicely as my full size 51's. Maybe there's an edge you can't see. Maybe a lubricated, or heavier ink would help. Standard brand inks have worked for me.
Qui me amat, amat et canem meum

#3 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

Brain freeze, mmm... got pens?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,980 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 00:05

The nib in a Demi is the same that went into a full size so you just have two 51s that need a bit of nib work.

#4 Parker Quink Turquoise

Parker Quink Turquoise

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 630 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 January 2013 - 00:31

Try some of the old English made Parker Quink Brown ink with Solv-X.For some reason I have found this brown ink to flow great and lubricate extremely well in Parker 51 pens.

#5 jacquesdubois

jacquesdubois

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:41

I'm suspecting that. I might send one off to Greg Minuskin, who does wonders. I've had one pen fixed by him and it was great. :)

The nib in a Demi is the same that went into a full size so you just have two 51s that need a bit of nib work.