#1 Gerd W

Gerd W

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 16:56

Happy New Year!

Hello, I have received a nice vintage Conway Stewart, may be it's a 286? I do suppose it has not been used for a very long time. It's my first lever filler and I do not intend to destroy anything by lack of knowledge. The lever moves approximately one millimeter away from the barrel and I don't want pull harder. Short: In this case I do know really nothing.

I would like to get this pen back in working order. Is there any advice?
Thanks a lot!

Humble english, humble picture, I know... Please excuse.

Attached Images

• Conway1a.jpg

#2 red52ripple

red52ripple

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 17:22

It looks like a 388 to me. It's a very nice pen, and perhaps not the pen to begin learning on. I would suggest sending it to a good repairer.
~Deborah

goodwriterspens.com/

www.goodwriterspensales.com/

#3 mallymal1

mallymal1

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 January 2013 - 18:41

Happy New Year, Gerd!

The 286 has just one narrow cap band, while the 55 and the 388 both have cap bands like yours.

Is there an inscription on the barrel? If there is, it should tell you the number. If it is worn away (or missing), then a way for you to tell the difference is to measure the distance between the end of the lever and the end of the barrel. On the 388 the distance should be 2.5 cms, and on the bigger 55, 3cms. Also, the 55 would normally have a 'Duro' nib.

Hope this helps.

Whichever one it is, that is a fine looking Conway Stewart you have. :thumbup:

#4 Gerd W

Gerd W

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 19:10

It looks like a 388 to me. It's a very nice pen, and perhaps not the pen to begin learning on. I would suggest sending it to a good repairer.

Hello 'red52ripple',
thanks a lot for your fast response!I do think you are right, a good repairer would be the best solution.

#5 Truffle Finder

Truffle Finder

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,381 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 19:27

Depending on where you live, I could quite easily do the repair for you.
Whatever you do, if you feel resistance when you try to lift the lever, do not try to force it, you can quite possibly break the lever, which could be replaced, but it would be more expensive!
Let me know what you would like to do.
Truffle Finder [AKA Henry Simpole!]
henrysimpole.com
Beautiful handcrafted fountain pens by Henry Simpole....

#6 Gerd W

Gerd W

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 19:56

Happy New Year, Gerd!

The 286 has just one narrow cap band, while the 55 and the 388 both have cap bands like yours.

Is there an inscription on the barrel? If there is, it should tell you the number. If it is worn away (or missing), then a way for you to tell the difference is to measure the distance between the end of the lever and the end of the barrel. On the 388 the distance should be 2.5 cms, and on the bigger 55, 3cms. Also, the 55 would normally have a 'Duro' nib.

Hope this helps.

Hi mallymal1,

thank you very much for the wishes and your advise! And, you're right, there is an inscription on the barrel, I overlooked this totally ... Taking a loupe it says clearly "Conway Stewart 388 - Made in England". And the distance between the lever and the end of the barrel measures exactly 2,5 cm! The blue marbled finish looks great and reminds a little on my blue marbled modern Duofold. Very nice.

Well, now I have to find someone who is able and willing to reanimate the function at a reasonable price.

Thanks again!

#7 Truffle Finder

Truffle Finder

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,381 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 21:35

Whatever you do, if you feel resistance when you try to lift the lever, do not try to force it, you can quite possibly break the lever, which could be replaced, but it would be more expensive!

Well?
Any good to you?
Truffle Finder.
henrysimpole.com

#8 Gerd W

Gerd W

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 21:58

Well?
Any good to you?
Truffle Finder.

Hello Truffle Finder,

many thanks for your reply and offering! I will send you a mail.

#9 mallymal1

mallymal1

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,067 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:16

Happy New Year, Gerd!

Hope this helps.

Hi mallymal1,

thank you very much for the wishes and your advise! And, you're right, there is an inscription on the barrel, I overlooked this totally ... Taking a loupe it says clearly "Conway Stewart 388 - Made in England". And the distance between the lever and the end of the barrel measures exactly 2,5 cm! The blue marbled finish looks great and reminds a little on my blue marbled modern Duofold. Very nice.

Well, now I have to find someone who is able and willing to reanimate the function at a reasonable price.

Thanks again!

Excellent, Gerd! Mystery solved. :thumbup:

You're welcome anytime. Always a pleasure.

#10 Gerd W

Gerd W

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:19

Hello mallymal1,

thanks a lot for your kind words and "welcome"! I like the 'Conway Stewart-look' much, both vintage and modern.
Enjoy your nice CS-bunch, so impressive!

#11 Gerd W

Gerd W

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 15:29

Hello, since a few days my pen is back from London and I have to say, 'Truffle Finder' did a very good job! The CS 388 writes like a charme and it is hard to believe, that this fountain pen has been builded far more than half a century ago. It's nice to have it and even more nice to use it!

Attached Images

• CSAfterRepair.jpg

#12 mallymal1

mallymal1

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,067 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:09

Hello, since a few days my pen is back from London and I have to say, 'Truffle Finder' did a very good job! The CS 388 writes like a charme and it is hard to believe, that this fountain pen has been builded far more than half a century ago. It's nice to have it and even more nice to use it!

That's brilliant, Gerd...and well done Henry!

It's always a pleasure to see a vintage pen restored to working order, especially one as nice as the 388. I'm sure you will put it to good use, Gerd. :thumbup:

#13 MusinkMan

MusinkMan

Music and Ink and Man; A Musinkman

• Member - Gold

• 878 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:51

Hello, since a few days my pen is back from London and I have to say, 'Truffle Finder' did a very good job!

If Truffle Finder is Henry Simpole...I'll bet he did do a great job. He's...um...famous and legendary.
Maker of Custom Oblique Pen Holders

Visit me at http://uniqueobliques.etsy.com

#14 Gerd W

Gerd W

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:31

That's brilliant, Gerd...and well done Henry!

It's always a pleasure to see a vintage pen restored to working order, especially one as nice as the 388. I'm sure you will put it to good use, Gerd. :thumbup:
[/quote]

Hello Malcolm, thanks!
You are right, it's a pleasure to use a perfect restored pen like this one, to write with and to look at it.
Though I've accumulated a lot of decent fountain pens over a long period, the CS 388 belongs to my favorites now without doubt.
It is so nice and does write fantastic!
Looking at your Conway Stewarts in a previous thread I only have to say - wow, this collection really is stunning! :clap1: Congratulations and enjoy!
Have a nice day!

#15 Gerd W

Gerd W

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:46

Hello, since a few days my pen is back from London and I have to say, 'Truffle Finder' did a very good job!

If Truffle Finder is Henry Simpole...I'll bet he did do a great job. He's...um...famous and legendary.

Hi MusinkMan,

thanks for reply! I guess it's no secret - Truffle Finder is Henry Simpole and vice versa... And yes, he is really famous, have you already seen his silver artworks?
After working on my pen this nice old thing writes better than many new ones!
Regards to you :thumbup: -
Gerd.

#16 MusinkMan

MusinkMan

Music and Ink and Man; A Musinkman

• Member - Gold

• 878 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:04

Hi MusinkMan,

thanks for reply! I guess it's no secret - Truffle Finder is Henry Simpole and vice versa... And yes, he is really famous, have you already seen his silver artworks?
After working on my pen this nice old thing writes better than many new ones!
Regards to you :thumbup: -
Gerd.

I have indeed seen his work. The guy is a genius and an artist. Really cool of him to restore your Conway for you. I haven't had the pleasure of meeting him yet, but this speaks volumes of him...to appear from out of the woodwork to offer you help. Speaks volumes of him.
Maker of Custom Oblique Pen Holders

Visit me at http://uniqueobliques.etsy.com

#17 Truffle Finder

Truffle Finder

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,381 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 00:06

Thanks for the compliments! I'm a bit embarrassed!
It was my pleasure to do the repair, it's something that I enjoy doing!
Truffle Finder. :thumbup:
henrysimpole.com

#18 mallymal1

mallymal1

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,067 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:19

Looking at your Conway Stewarts in a previous thread I only have to say - wow, this collection really is stunning! :clap1: Congratulations and enjoy!
Have a nice day!

Thank you very much, Gerd...and I do spend many enjoyable hours with my collection. :thumbup:

Which pens, apart from the 388, do you have in your collection, Gerd?

#19 Gerd W

Gerd W

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:36

Quote mallymal1: Thank you very much, Gerd...and I do spend many enjoyable hours with my collection. :thumbup:

Which pens, apart from the 388, do you have in your collection, Gerd?
[/quote]

Hello Malcolm,

many thanks for your interest! Primarily I do have Parkers, Pelikans, MBs, Lamys and some other brands, too. For every day use I prefer Duofolds, P75s (faves), Pel 400s vintage and modern, some times a Meisterstück and sometimes a Safari. Depends on mood.

I also possess a collection of approximately 30 vintage pens, mostly german like Pelikan, Kaweco, Osmia and so on. Today this collection is almost retired, it's a question of time and the daily users are more important to me because I do write a lot.

I like and use fountain pens since the age of six, exactly since 50 years. Of course I do have my preferences, especially pens with an arrow clip, but the slender and very nice CS 388 jumped between the herd of favorites immediately. Actually I do not need another pen, but in all likelihood this will not remain my single Conway Stewart. Perhaps a 55 and a modern CS, time will show.

Enjoyable hours with your pens :cloud9: and best regards -
Gerd

#20 mallymal1

mallymal1

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,067 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:56

Hello Malcolm,

many thanks for your interest! Primarily I do have Parkers, Pelikans, MBs, Lamys and some other brands, too. For every day use I prefer Duofolds, P75s (faves), Pel 400s vintage and modern, some times a Meisterstück and sometimes a Safari. Depends on mood.

I also possess a collection of approximately 30 vintage pens, mostly german like Pelikan, Kaweco, Osmia and so on. Today this collection is almost retired, it's a question of time and the daily users are more important to me because I do write a lot.

I like and use fountain pens since the age of six, exactly since 50 years. Of course I do have my preferences, especially pens with an arrow clip, but the slender and very nice CS 388 jumped between the herd of favorites immediately. Actually I do not need another pen, but in all likelihood this will not remain my single Conway Stewart. Perhaps a 55 and a modern CS, time will show.

Enjoyable hours with your pens :cloud9: and best regards -
Gerd

Hello Gerd,

Many apologies for the delay in replying, but sometimes 'life' just get in the way.

This is one of the things I love about the fountain pen. You use all these wonderful pens. Parker Duofolds, Pelikan 400's, Lamy Safari, MB's (and I use all these as well, though apart from the Lamy, they would be vintage)...and then you pick up a pen, which comes from out of nowhere really, and think 'wow, this is great!'. Makes me wonder just how many 'great pens' there are out there?

I haven't tried the P75...maybe I shall look out for one, if I ever have time when I'm not looking for vintage Conway Stewart, that is. :rolleyes:

The 55 would be a different writing experience compared to the 388, as it should carry a stiffer 'Duro' nib, but it is another wonderful pen.

Happy penmanship, Gerd.

:thumbup:

#21 Gerd W

Gerd W

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:44

Hello Malcolm,

really no problem to wait a minute, 'real live' does have priority! I am glad to hear that you also do have and use all this pens, so you are able to pick up what you prefer for the moment.

Coming to the P75: I do know, that not everyone will see this pen as I do. The P75 somehow mirrors my feelings for design and shape, but there are to many factors to write them all down here. Finally it's a slightly smallish but great and, without any doubt, noble pen.

If you agree to my offer, I'll send you a P75 with a american and a french section. (Fairly different to hold). So you'll see whether this pen speaks to you or not. Afterwards you know what you want to know and send it back. Then you may purchase one or not.

As for the CS 55 - though I like all kinds of nibs and hence stiffer nibs, too, I do find the flexy 388-nib and the shape of this pen super. I'll consider the next steps (Conways are really nice), fortunately there's no need to hurry.

Thanks again and
kind regards to you -

Gerd

#22 mallymal1

mallymal1

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,067 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:15

Hello Malcolm,

really no problem to wait a minute, 'real live' does have priority! I am glad to hear that you also do have and use all this pens, so you are able to pick up what you prefer for the moment.

Coming to the P75: I do know, that not everyone will see this pen as I do. The P75 somehow mirrors my feelings for design and shape, but there are to many factors to write them all down here. Finally it's a slightly smallish but great and, without any doubt, noble pen.

If you agree to my offer, I'll send you a P75 with a american and a french section. (Fairly different to hold). So you'll see whether this pen speaks to you or not. Afterwards you know what you want to know and send it back. Then you may purchase one or not.

As for the CS 55 - though I like all kinds of nibs and hence stiffer nibs, too, I do find the flexy 388-nib and the shape of this pen super. I'll consider the next steps (Conways are really nice), fortunately there's no need to hurry.

Thanks again and
kind regards to you -

Gerd

Many thanks, Gerd...PM sent. :thumbup: