#31 Pentulant

Pentulant

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 January 2013 - 20:56

I'm glad to hear they took it back for you.

For everyone else who may be duped, I hope you plan to take this further up the chain at both Costco and MB.
pentulant [adjective]: immodest or wanton in search of all things related to pens<BR> [proper noun]: Christine Witt Visit Pentulant<br>
President, Brush Dance - we make high-quality, mindful Calendars, Planners, Journals, and other fun stuff you'll love

#32 johnkim424

johnkim424

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 January 2013 - 00:20

Costco is not an authorized seller of Montblancs but that does not mean they can't sell them. I believe Montblanc already tried to stop them from selling their pens but was unsuccessful.

#33 Pentulant

Pentulant

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 January 2013 - 00:30

Costco is not an authorized seller of Montblancs but that does not mean they can't sell them. I believe Montblanc already tried to stop them from selling their pens but was unsuccessful.

Have a pretty strong feeling MB would be able to stop them from selling fakes, though.
pentulant [adjective]: immodest or wanton in search of all things related to pens<BR> [proper noun]: Christine Witt Visit Pentulant<br>
President, Brush Dance - we make high-quality, mindful Calendars, Planners, Journals, and other fun stuff you'll love

#34 johnkim424

johnkim424

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 January 2013 - 00:41

Yes, Montblanc doesn't need to do anything when it comes to Costco selling fake MB pens. Selling fake is illegal. I was talking about Costco selling genuine MB products. They used to carry MB 144 and roller ball pens and they were genuine. Montblanc tried to stop them from selling their products but since Costco did not buy from them directly, they could not stop Costco from selling them.

#35 Vicynax

Vicynax

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:14

All the Starwalkers at my boutique that I've seen has a serial number -- FP / FL / BP. They are all located in the left bottom side of the clip. Costco might not be selling fakes, but they are not considered original Montblanc pens and we do not service nor exchange them when customers come in to the boutique. Costco is well know for selling high end "grey market" items that are not purchased directly through the manufacturer. Besides Montblanc pens, they are known for their "grey market" Omega, TW Steel, Breitling, and Rolex watches as well. Feel free to just google "Omega lawsuit Costco."
Eddie Lin -- 714.424.5270
Montblanc {South Coast Plaza}
3333 Bristol Street #2209, Costa Mesa, CA 92626

#36 79spitfire

79spitfire

No the car is NOT painted with Bay State Blue..

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,117 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:12

That explains what I overheard just before Christmas at the local penshop here in Reno. They are an authorized MB dealer, and someone called while I was there asking prices. The sales clerk on the phone quoted a price, after a pause the next thing he stated was 'I'm sorry but that's well below what we buy them from MB for'. At which point the phone call ended. I couldn't help but ask about the conversation, at which point he told me she (I'm assuming the customer on the phone) claimed she had bought the pen in question at less than half his cost at Costco. I told him I thought she had likely bought a fake, and if she hadn't he should take it up with MB.

Costco has buyer that take quotes for the 'lowest prices' on many items, they might not realize some of these are fakes, or are being lied to by their suppliers.

At least I hope that's the case, I sure would hate to buy counterfeit beef...

Edited by 79spitfire, 08 January 2013 - 08:12.

Increase your IQ, use Linux AND a Fountain pen!!Neko_animated.gif
Fedorabutton-iusefedora.png

#37 tenney

tenney

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:34

Costco is well know for selling high end "grey market" items that are not purchased directly through the manufacturer. Besides Montblanc pens, they are known for their "grey market" Omega, TW Steel, Breitling, and Rolex watches as well. Feel free to just google "Omega lawsuit Costco."

To be clear, there's a huge difference between any company buying legal legitimate items in one country and reselling them here in the US. While I hadn't heard of this Omega case (and I keep up on copyright cases), there is a huge case at the SCOTUS now -- it's all about the long established first sale doctrine of copyright law that allows you to buy something and then resell (or give away) what you've purchased.

Grey market items are, and have been sold for many many years. It's about the same as buying a Seiko or Casio watch or Pilot or Platinum pen in Tokyo and taking it home with you. Now, your warranty might need to be handled in the original country of purchase because many companies give franchises to their products in some countries and those companies only warranty products that they have sold. With a MB pen, it might have to go back to Germany for any repair.
--
Glenn (I have a "pen" circle on G+)

#38 Chrissy

Chrissy

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,270 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:04

Thankfully the pen was returned I did mention to them the inaccuarcies that were evident. Hopefully it is not put back on the shelf

I'm pleased to hear that it went favourably for you. I also hope that it wasn't put back on the shelf.

If this happened here in the UK then it is certainly illegal to sell it, and the onus is on the seller to ensure that an item is authentic. Putting a counterfeit on the shelf for sale would be enough for a seizure by the police and/or Trading Standards.

postcardde9.png

#39 striker27

striker27

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 18:04

Well searching EBay I managed to find another completely different model Starwalker with same unique individual serial number I had on mine!!! I guess you have to be careful!!
Costco did call me and say they do not sell fakes though.

#40 79spitfire

79spitfire

No the car is NOT painted with Bay State Blue..

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,117 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:03

Well searching EBay I managed to find another completely different model Starwalker with same unique individual serial number I had on mine!!! I guess you have to be careful!!
Costco did call me and say they do not sell fakes though.

So did you ask if they are giving it away? I think it's already proven a fake. :roflmho:

They are selling fakes, and just don't realize it. (or don't want to)

I should go by the local and see if they have any 149s, I'll bet they all have matching serial numbers too! (genuine I'm sure) :ltcapd:

Increase your IQ, use Linux AND a Fountain pen!!Neko_animated.gif
Fedorabutton-iusefedora.png

#41 striker27

striker27

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:32

I really did not want to argue with them. I gave up really on the whole thing.

#42 Pentulant

Pentulant

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 January 2013 - 00:45

I can totally understand giving up on the whole thing. It's hard (and sometimes exhausting) to keep after something like this.

Let's hope Costco does the right thing - and let's hope people researching find this thread and check things out carefully.

#43 JefferyS

JefferyS

"Don't tase me, bro!"

• Moderators

• 3,200 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:09

A few years back, members of the Gibson Guitar Forum were surprised to see that Costco was selling Gibson guitars. Soon after, Gibson Guitar made it very clear that Costco does not sell Gibson guitars.
Jeffery
In the Irish Channel of
New Orleans, LA

#44 JefferyS

JefferyS

"Don't tase me, bro!"

• Moderators

• 3,200 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:22

Can't imagine Costo (a national chain store) selling fakes. I don't experience with a Starwalker.

Someone reported them as selling fake designer watches.
Jeffery
In the Irish Channel of
New Orleans, LA

#45 meiers

meiers

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,589 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:17

I checked out the starwalker rollerball offered at my local Costco here in Winnipeg. The pen is definitely genuine with the serial number in the right place.
By the way, it's very cold here right now

#46 Laura N

Laura N

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,544 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 February 2013 - 13:54

Well, here is an interesting follow-up. Tiffany has just sued Costco for selling diamond rings that were labeled as Tiffany, but were not. The Reuters story is here.

#47 BrandonA

BrandonA

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,472 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 February 2013 - 14:57

Well, here is an interesting follow-up. Tiffany has just sued Costco for selling diamond rings that were labeled as Tiffany, but were not. The Reuters story is here.

You'd have expected them to be a company you could trust.

On one hand though, you would not expect luxury brands to permit their products to be sold in lower quality establishments as it would damage their brand. Therefore you would have to imagine the authenticity of such items should you have seen them in store.

My Collection:
Montblanc Writers Edition: Hemingway, Christie, Wilde, Voltaire, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Poe, Proust, Schiller, Dickens, Fitzgerald (set), Verne, Kafka, Cervantes, Woolf, Faulkner, Shaw, Mann, Twain, Collodi, Swift. & Balzac
Montblanc Einstein (3,000) FP
Montblanc Heritage 1912 Resin FP
Montblanc Starwalker Resin: FP/BP/MP. Montblanc Traveller FP.
Play WE game. or POA game.

#48 FPjunkie

FPjunkie

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 18:05

Check underneath of the clip with a loop or magnifier and see if there is any printed letters there(such as Germany) a true star walker should have that clear imprint.

#49 Keyless Works

Keyless Works

Vintage

• Member - Gold & Supporter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:14

I have never heard of a fake from Costco . I do know that all if the watches they sell in the USA are grey market and that most manufactures will not honor the warranty.

#50 Fleetlord

Fleetlord

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:22

I really did not want to argue with them. I gave up really on the whole thing.

You absolutely did the right thing.

Just take it back to COSTCO, get your money back and WALK AWAY.

Reporting it to Montblanc and fighting with Costco about it being fake are just useless exercises..

#51 Nickd75

Nickd75

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:14

I bought my Starwalker BP from Costco and it is genuine, with the warranty stamped by an Italian shop - it was £100 under retail. All the watches I've seen in my local Costco are real as well. I think I would go with the switch theory - Costco's returns procedure does leave itself open to abuse.

I can understand MB boutiques not servicing grey imports, but warranty claims would have to be honoured AFAIK under law - at least in the UK. Ultimately MB in Germany would deal with any claims though.

#52 Chrissy

Chrissy

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,270 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 February 2013 - 13:20

Check underneath of the clip with a loop or magnifier and see if there is any printed letters there(such as Germany) a true star walker should have that clear imprint.

Unfortunately, so do the fake Starwalkers

postcardde9.png

#53 Rz605

Rz605

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:27

Unfortunately, so do the fake Starwalkers

WSJ reported the other day that Tiffany is suing Costco for selling fake diamond rings... Just in case there's any doubt that Costco may sell some fake merchandise in their warehouses.

#54 Inkling13

Inkling13

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:33

Costco has been known to sell counterfeits, not out of any malignancy, just them looking for a good deal and sometimes fall prey to the counterfeiters. 

#55 Albinoni

Albinoni

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 March 2014 - 16:12

Any photos please.

#56 Jeje3325

Jeje3325

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 March 2014 - 02:48

Next time I'm in Costco I'll make sure to check in the pen section!

With all the knowledge I fond here I'll be better equipped to check for an eventual fake.

If one ( or more) dude managed to swap a fake it can happen again and in any country

#57 dyoneda1

dyoneda1

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 March 2014 - 19:08

Of course. The information has been covered on how to easily determine a genuine Montblanc. I would say that kind of precaution is necessary to defend yourself against any possible situation from sitting in a restaurant where you should inquire what you are eating to solar panelling which I'm buying from Canada to reading labels intelligently at supermarkets to even Montblanc pens.

#58 dyoneda1

dyoneda1

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 March 2014 - 19:10

Companies have been tucking in stagnant, bleached, enriched white flour under a sprinkle of whole grain for years just to label it a "Whole Grain Bread." Swapping is a part of the anesthesia that is pulled over all our conscious awareness.