Wahl-Eversharp Pen Company Lives!

Wahlnut

Just a quick message to alert the pen world that the WAHL-EVERSHARP pen company is now reformed and will unveil its line of never before released pens at the LA Pen Show. A dedicated web-site for the company will be up and running by the time of the show, too. What would the pens of EVERSHARP have looked like had the company not fallen on hard economic times in the late '40s and '50's and been sold to Parker and continued in production as a top quality pen company? What new materials, nibs and designs would have been made over the past 60 years? These and other questions will be answered soon! Stay tuned.

Syd

Edited by Wahlnut

Syd "the Wahlnut" Saperstein

Pensbury Manor

Vintage Wahl Eversharp Writing Instruments

Pensbury Manor

The WAHL-EVERSHARP Company

www.wahleversharp.com

New WAHL-EVERSHARP fountain and Roller-Ball pens

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wahlnut

• Harlequin

• Drone

• johntdavis

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well!!! That is a very unexpected surprise! I'll await the relaunch with great anticipation.

Writing with pen and ink, is an endeavour both stimulating and cathartic.

I wish them the best of luck! Let's hope they get it right.

Here's what I don't want to see:

1. Chinese made knock-offs with poor materials that don't last and feel cheap.

2. Plain old stiff-as-nail nibs.

3. Gold nib options that nearly double the price of the pen.

4. Only F,M, and B nib options. Please, at least add a stub.

5. Pens you can't service yourself. They should come apart with ease for cleaning and maintenance.

6. Proprietary cartridges.

7. Pens that don't post or don't post properly (e.g. posting to a filler knob is just plain dumb.)

8. Pens that are astronomically priced and highly limited in production - that's not what Whal-Eversharp was all about.

9. And most importantly: Pens that you cannot easily buy because production and supply are totally mismanaged. Cases in-point; TWSBI in-general, the way Noodler's releases pens (the Ebonite Konrad is out, but Goulet says no stable stock for likely two months - grrrr), and the black Conklin Mark Twain Crescent copy-cat (very spotty availability - and just try buying one with an offered stub!)

Welcome back W-E, and once again - best of luck...

Nicely put and thanks. Please see comments below to you wish list in bold:

I wish them the best of luck! Let's hope they get it right.

Here's what I don't want to see:

1. Chinese made knock-offs with poor materials that don't last and feel cheap.

The pens are/will be made in Italy, and the USA. Molds and tooling are Swiss

2. Plain old stiff-as-nail nibs.

Nibs are hard to find with only 1 maker of capacity today that are not as you describe, but some pens in the Technic Collection will have ceramic nibs, and more nib variations will follow after launch and be interchangeable by the owner.

3. Gold nib options that nearly double the price of the pen.

Our 18 K nib options will add about 30% to the cost of the pen

4. Only F,M, and B nib options. Please, at least add a stub.

Coming soon

5. Pens you can't service yourself. They should come apart with ease for cleaning and maintenance.

Simple self service (flushing and ultrasound) will be possible. For more complex servicing, the pens are warranted and quick mail in service and turn around plus a flat reasonable service fee is involved.

6. Proprietary cartridges.

These are universal and converter pens

7. Pens that don't post or don't post properly (e.g. posting to a filler knob is just plain dumb.)

The pens post neatly and securely

8. Pens that are astronomically priced and highly limited in production - that's not what Whal-Eversharp was all about.

Right you are. Pricing ranges from $115 to $350 with the majority nestled in the middle of that range depending on materials and additional manufacturing steps involved

9. And most importantly: Pens that you cannot easily buy because production and supply are totally mismanaged. Cases in-point; TWSBI in-general, the way Noodler's releases pens (the Ebonite Konrad is out, but Goulet says no stable stock for likely two months - grrrr), and the black Conklin Mark Twain Crescent copy-cat (very spotty availability - and just try buying one with an offered stub!)

We have invested in significant anticipatory production to have adequate supply at the ready. If we are very successful even that supply may prove inadequate to satisfy demand, but back-orders should be no more than 30 days. We have a good, live inventory system that tells us exactly what is in stock at any time and re-stock triggers that should help us pace with demand better.

Welcome back W-E, and once again - best of luck...

THANKS! Your input is very important and helpful and while we may not score 100% e are close.

Pensbury Manor

Pensbury Manor

www.wahleversharp.com

Thank you Syd for your substantive reply. You said, "Your input is very important and helpful and while we may not score 100% we are close." I agree - quite close.

Will you be replicating vintage W-E pens or introducing new designs? I would very much like to see full-sized repro Flat-Tops first (in Coral please); and maybe later some Dorics (probably harder to manufacture?)

What about later Eversharp repros - like the iconic Skyline?

The LA Pen Show is slated for 14-17 Feb. 2013. Please update us when the new dedicated W-E Web site is up so we can preview what's coming. Or better-yet, toss us some "teasers" here in Market-Place.

Edited by Drone

Thank you Syd for your substantive reply. You said, "Your input is very important and helpful and while we may not score 100% we are close." I agree - quite close.

Will you be replicating vintage W-E pens or introducing new designs? I would very much like to see full-sized repro Flat-Tops first (in Coral please); and maybe later some Dorics (probably harder to manufacture?)

What about later Eversharp repros - like the iconic Skyline?

The LA Pen Show is slated for 14-17 Feb. 2013. Please update us when the new dedicated W-E Web site is up so we can preview what's coming. Or better-yet, toss us some "teasers" here in Market-Place.

Both new and old designs. We will start off with the forward evolution of the Skyline because we have all the molds and tooling already. Flat tops probably next year, Dorics probably the year after that. You aked for it, so, here's a couple of teasers:

The "Carbon Fiber"

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a75/wahlnut/Image24_zps67b428e7.jpg

Or in the "Technic" line the Aluminum

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a75/wahlnut/Image5_zps52e7fbcd.jpg

Pensbury Manor

Pensbury Manor

www.wahleversharp.com

These look great, and I'm so happy to see this. I had the pleasure of doing business with Syd a year or so ago with regard to some vintage Skylines. I can't wait.

Can I suggest collecting names for an email list, to notify us when you have more information and pens to sell?

-Laura

I don't want to sound stupid or anything, but I would like to add this: if W-E truly is/was a great brand, I would think they would want to introduce themselves(perhaps re-introduce?) to the many many FP fans that have never used any of the vintage W-Es. The best way, in my mind, to do that would be to have at least a couple of options that are firmly below the $100 mark- say more in the $50 arena, like TWSBI or Lamy. Both of those companies make great pens so it is definitely possible. Just adding my two cents, b/c as soon as you revealed the target price range above I pretty much moved the W-E resurrection to the "not for me" section of my brain. It's true that I may be in the minority of FP collectors and fans, so W-E may not be interested in my business.

Just wanted to chime in.

PS- Oh yeah... adjustable nibs?? PLEASE!

Edited by Harlequin

Good news indeed and great pics!

But I also have to agree with Harlequin there, if Lamy can do such good quality pens at such a good price.....................?????

The best way, in my mind, to do that would be to have at least a couple of options that are firmly below the $100 mark- say more in the $50 arena

You want an inexpensive pen, and you also want an adjustable nib? Let's think about this a little bit, shall we?

As for putting in our $0.02, I welcome another mid-line pen, *especially* if it means a quality pen. There are a lot of options out there for $50-$100 pens, and I'm liking seeing the next level up. I like seeing where aesthetics and materials and nods to the past can take us.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

I would like to see an adjustable nib though... :puddle:

This post contains 100% recycled electrons

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae8/Catriker/Pen%20Pics/SmallCzarNikolai.jpg

The best way, in my mind, to do that would be to have at least a couple of options that are firmly below the $100 mark- say more in the $50 arena

You want an inexpensive pen, and you also want an adjustable nib? Let's think about this a little bit, shall we?

As for putting in our $0.02, I welcome another mid-line pen, *especially* if it means a quality pen. There are a lot of options out there for $50-$100 pens, and I'm liking seeing the next level up. I like seeing where aesthetics and materials and nods to the past can take us.

No, you misinterpreted it. I didn't say I want an entry level pen with an adjustable nib. I said I think it would be in the best interests of W-E to introduce or re-introduce themselves to the VAST numbers of people who would never get one or don't even know about them, b/c of their incredibly long absence from the market. The best way to do that is not to price their base model out of the reach of most people who are starting into this wonderful arena. I would love to see an want an entry level W-E pen. I also would REALLY like to see some NEW, not vintage, adjustable nibs. If the new incarnation of W-E feels the need to restrict something like that to only the highest echelon of their pens, as a carrot or whatever they want to call it themselves, then that is what will happen. But it WOULD be nice to have the option for any of their pens. I don't think it will even be the case that one is produced for ANY of their pens, but it's worth letting them know that people (meaning: me) are definitely interested in it.

Edited by Harlequin

Good news indeed and great pics!

But I also have to agree with Harlequin there, if Lamy can do such good quality pens at such a good price.....................?????

I don't want to sound stupid or anything, but I would like to add this: if W-E truly is/was a great brand, I would think they would want to introduce themselves(perhaps re-introduce?) to the many many FP fans that have never used any of the vintage W-Es. The best way, in my mind, to do that would be to have at least a couple of options that are firmly below the $100 mark- say more in the $50 arena, like TWSBI or Lamy. Both of those companies make great pens so it is definitely possible. Just adding my two cents, b/c as soon as you revealed the target price range above I pretty much moved the W-E resurrection to the "not for me" section of my brain. It's true that I may be in the minority of FP collectors and fans, so W-E may not be interested in my business.

Quality is debatable but with the exception of the Safari and Al-Star, the prices of the other Lamy pens are in line with what Syd proposes. Basically, they are not competing in the Lamy Safari category. It requires a lot of capital to compete in that price category. Things pretty much have to use a steel nib and everything needs to be produced in massive quantities to get the price down. Lamy has the advantage that they don't really change their lineup and their production line has been amortized over many decades. It would be hard for a new company to ramp up to that production level outside of companies like Pilot or Platinum.

You might throw out TWSBI as a counter. But, people forget that Speedy's main business is not pens. His company does large scale plastic injection molding work for other companies. Essentially, he already owns a large scale production line and TWSBI began as a side project. It is a good strategy because he can produce TWSBI pens between large orders for other customers, thus maintaining work for his production lines.

To make an adjustable nib would be hard for any pen company at this point especially one that cannot make their own nibs. An adjustable nib necessarily requires a flexible nib as a base. I contend that none of the modern nibs are very flexible. If you can't get any nib maker to make a truly flexible nib then it is hopeless for a pen company to make an adjustable nib. The last adjustable nib pen I know of is the Pilot Justus. The nib was not that flexible and it was made only for a short time. I have a bunch of W-E Dorics with adjustable nibs. I never use the adjustment. They always stay in the most flexible state.

2020 San Francisco Pen Show
August 28-30th, 2020
Pullman Hotel San Francisco Bay
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

I would like to see an adjustable nib though... :puddle:

Adjustable are on the drawing board for the Doric Line. But for now we will have something radical available: Ceramic nibs.

Edited by Wahlnut

Pensbury Manor

Pensbury Manor

www.wahleversharp.com

Lamy has the advantage that they don't really change their lineup and their production line has been amortized over many decades. It would be hard for a new company to ramp up to that production level outside of companies like Pilot or Platinum.

OK, but that dont make sense to me as they are using the old tooling apparently so there is no huge capital outlay here - one of the reasons for the resurrection as the entry barriers are somewhat reduced.

So, can we compromise and ask for a nib with and adjustable price :ltcapd: just kidding!

Ceramic nibs - hmmmm, I saw that earlier and it did pique my interest!

To make an adjustable nib would be hard for any pen company at this point especially one that cannot make their own nibs. An adjustable nib necessarily requires a flexible nib as a base. I contend that none of the modern nibs are very flexible. If you can't get any nib maker to make a truly flexible nib then it is hopeless for a pen company to make an adjustable nib. The last adjustable nib pen I know of is the Pilot Justus. The nib was not that flexible and it was made only for a short time. I have a bunch of W-E Dorics with adjustable nibs. I never use the adjustment. They always stay in the most flexible state.

Well, if you ever get bored with one of them and are willing to let it go, let me know, lol. Of course, I probably can't afford to give it a good home, but who knows! ;)

Syd, celluloid?

The Skyline was polystyrene. Wouldn't that be the historic choice?

Edited by Wahlnut

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.