Photo

What Company Is Your Dslr And P&s Cameras

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

Poll: What maker is your DSLR camera ? (103 member(s) have cast votes)

What maker is your DSLR camera ?

1. Nikon (35 votes [31.82%])

Percentage of vote: 31.82%

2. Canon (35 votes [31.82%])

Percentage of vote: 31.82%

3. Sony (11 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

4. Pentax (6 votes [5.45%])

Percentage of vote: 5.45%

5. Olympus (6 votes [5.45%])

Percentage of vote: 5.45%

6. Panasonic (2 votes [1.82%])

Percentage of vote: 1.82%

7. Samsung (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

8. Other (5 votes [4.55%])

Percentage of vote: 4.55%

9. None (10 votes [9.09%])

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

What maker is your Point & Shoot camera ?

1. Nikon (11 votes [9.82%])

Percentage of vote: 9.82%

2. Canon (34 votes [30.36%])

Percentage of vote: 30.36%

3. Sony (11 votes [9.82%])

Percentage of vote: 9.82%

4. Pentax (2 votes [1.79%])

Percentage of vote: 1.79%

5. Olympus (6 votes [5.36%])

Percentage of vote: 5.36%

6. Panasonic (10 votes [8.93%])

Percentage of vote: 8.93%

7. Samsung (2 votes [1.79%])

Percentage of vote: 1.79%

8. Fuji (9 votes [8.04%])

Percentage of vote: 8.04%

9. Other (7 votes [6.25%])

Percentage of vote: 6.25%

10. None (20 votes [17.86%])

Percentage of vote: 17.86%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 loqutus

loqutus

What me worry?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:43

sorry, second file is too big

Edited by loqutus, 03 February 2013 - 07:51.

Live Long and Prosper.

#32 GnosticMoron

GnosticMoron

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:47

Canon for me all the way down at this point. T3i for the DSLR and PowerShot for the P&S.

But I didn't choose them based on brand loyalty or anything. I just chose what seemed to be the right ones for me at the time and remain satisfied with them.

#33 contaxrts2

contaxrts2

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 18:53

Why are we restricted to dSLR and PS??
What about SLR, dRF, RF, TLR or other cameras?

As a fan of timeless masterpieces and still regretting the end of production of contax slr and the Carl Zeiss Contax lenses ,
I am using a rather simple Canon DSLR (EOS Rebel XS),
that at least allows fitting my wonderful Carl Zeiss Contax lenses with an pure mechanical adapter,
changing the angle of view, but not diminishing the quality of the lenses

...dreaming of Canon 5D MKII, 5D MKIII or Canon EOS 6D

...additionally using Canon lenses for full dslr function

2 Sony P&S with Carl Zeiss lenses are no compensation

#34 tinta

tinta

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 February 2013 - 19:52

I could not vote, as the survey wants me to have a digital SLR.
I have lugged heavy SLRs since the mid 1960s. About five years ago I got rid of all my film cameras (SLRs) & lenses.
A Canon G9 is all I need for now. My shoulders are ever thankful!
One of the micro 4/3, interchangeable lens P&S cameras would be a possible option for me in the near future.

ed: content & punctuation

Edited by tinta, 04 February 2013 - 19:54.

Sailor 1911 Standards: *Black/rhodium, 0.8 mm stub, *Black/gold, 0.8 mm. stub & 0.95 mm. stub/italic, *Burgundy/gold, 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI & 1.1 mm. CI, *Sailor Profit Standards: Brown & Red Marble Mozaiques, acrylic/rhodium, 0.9 mm. CI & 0.7 mm.CI, *Edison (Purple-Web Celluloid) Pearl, ss. JoWo, 1.1mm. Butter-line stub & Panache CI

#35 SigmaZuiko

SigmaZuiko

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 February 2013 - 20:43

SLR: Olympus OM-1
DSLR: Sigma SD14 with Custom CNCed Olympus OM Legacy Mount (I can only shoot manual)

Point and Shoot: Canon Powershot A510

axio: nice Rolleiflex!

Edited by SigmaZuiko, 04 February 2013 - 20:55.

Posted Image

#36 mirosc

mirosc

I love the smell of ink in the morning

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,986 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 February 2013 - 17:31

(D)SLR: Sony, because I came from Minolta which had the best lenses for my purposes: small+fast 200/2.8 and 85/1.4 with smooth bokeh. And when Minolta sold it's camera business to Sony, I just switched to Sony and I don't regret it - despite all complaints one can read in the camera forums
P&S: right now a Nikon, I think it's a TZ8, which is a nice one.

Greetings,
Michael

#37 contaxrts2

contaxrts2

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 22:16

(D)SLR: Sony, because I came from Minolta which had the best lenses for my purposes: small+fast 200/2.8 and 85/1.4 with smooth bokeh. And when Minolta sold it's camera business to Sony, I just switched to Sony and I don't regret it - despite all complaints one can read in the camera forums
P&S: right now a Nikon, I think it's a TZ8, which is a nice one.

I am a fan of the Sony dslr sytem, too. The chance to use the excellent new Carl Zeiss Sony lenses..., but there are only five of them now. What a pity.

So I chose a small Canon body hoping for a better future of Zeiss in the Sony dslr sytem.

#38 da vinci

da vinci

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,276 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 23:17

I have a Leica D-lux 5. It is a great camera, a large p&s with the ability to do a lot manually too.

#39 Silvermink

Silvermink

Texture Junkie

• Admin Tech.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,500 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 February 2013 - 00:55

I use an Olympus E-1, which is getting a little long in the tooth and which I'm planning to replace, probably with either a Nikon DSLR (e.g., D7000 or D600) or an Olympus mirrorless (e.g., OM-D).

My P&S is a Fuji X10, for which I have nothing but praise.
http://twitter.com/silvermink
Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Pilot Elite 95S - M - Pilot Iroshizuku Kiri-same // Parker 21 Super - M - Noodler's Widowmaker // Stipula Modello T FPN LE - Conway Stewart Kingsand // Parker Duofold (Canadian) - F - Diamine Meadow // Delta Via Veneto Doué Elegance - M - Conway Stewart Kingsand

#40 curiouslizard

curiouslizard

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 February 2013 - 21:11

Currently using a Nikon D600 with primes. I've been a Nikon shooter for many years. The sensor on the D600 is a monster.

Handheld, D600, Zeiss 85 1.4
Posted Image
Light of the World by Curious Lizard, on Flickr

Edited by curiouslizard, 06 February 2013 - 21:12.

#41 pienaar

pienaar

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:50

If you are thinking about a camera go over www.flickr.com and do a search for that camera. You can see photos folks are taking with it. In 2008 when I was shopping last I was going to get a nice DSLR. Then I was also looking at some point and shoots. I was not thrilled about carrying a DSLR again. (To big to much weight) A found a good buy on a Canon S5Si. I did a search for it at flickr and I looked through many photos taken with it. I was surprise with the quality and types of photos folks had been shooting with it. Since then I have suggested this to friends who were looking for a new camera. Check out the photos that have been taken with it. As that will tell you a lot about the camera.
Do not let old pens lay around in a drawer, get them working and give them to a new fountain pen user.

#42 loqutus

loqutus

What me worry?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:54

The most important part of any camera is the twelve inches behind the viewfinder Posted Image
Live Long and Prosper.

#43 loqutus

loqutus

What me worry?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:55

And the best camera you have is the one you have with you.

http://www.chasejarvis.com
Posted Image
Live Long and Prosper.

#44 irfan_83

irfan_83

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 February 2013 - 16:12

I was looking for a DSLR at the beginning of last year but ended up with a Compact Camera System insead. I wasn't keen on carrying around a huge DSLR camera and settled for the Sony NEX-5N instead.
Only a few weeks ago did I get the lenses I wanted.

It may not be as flexible as a DSLR but in terms of taking photos it is around 90% of the way there. That extra 10% I am willing to sacrifice due to the reduced size and cost, and due to the smaller size I am more likely to have it with me when outdoors.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Modern: Montblanc Meisterstuck 149 | Montblanc John Lennon | Waterman Hemisphere (>2010) | Waterman Hemisphere (<2010) | Sheaffer Intrigue | Parker 25 | Parker Vector
Vintage: Watermans Crusader 975 | Conway 93

#45 sunnerd

sunnerd

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,399 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:51

Currently I've got Nikon D800, Nikon 1 J1 and Sony DSC-RX100.
Lenses -
1. Nikon 14-24, 24-70, 70-200 F/2.8 zoom lens
2. Zeiss 2.8/21 ZF.2 and 2.8/25 ZF
3. Voigtlander 58 F/1.4
4. Nikkor 105 F/2.8 VR macro
5. Nikkor 28-300 F/3.5-5.6 VR
6. Nikkor 50 and 85 F/1.8D
7. Nikkor 10 F/2.8 (C mount)
Best regards, Kai
Montblanc 13x, #20/25/30/40, 244/6 Green Marbled, 322 Azure Blue, 234 1/2 G/PL, 256, 220, 34.
Montblanc 144G Grey, 146G Green Striated, 146 Silver Barley, 149 (50s-00s).
Montblanc WE Christie, Imperial Dragon, Wilde, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Proust, Schiller, Verne, Mann, Twain. PoA Prince Regent, Morgan...
Visconti Pontevecchio LE, Metropolitan Gordian Knot, Ripples. Omas Paragon Royale Blue HT, Extra Lucens Black LE. Pilot Silvern. Pelikan 620 Shanghai, 800 Blue o Blue.

#46 Larry T

Larry T

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 February 2013 - 14:11

I have used Canon equipment for long time, starting with an old mechanical F1, right through to my current DSLR, the 50D.

Posted Image

My compacts are also Canons, a G9 that goes everywhere with me, I used it to take the picture above, and an 8 MP Elph model.

Posted Image

The picture made with the above set-up, before editing.

I have used many cameras over the years, with Minolta and Canon leading the race, and have had great luck with all of them. I was given a Nikon 105 f2.8 macro lens in the late nineties. The lens was so good that I bought an FM body to use it on. I had an Olympus OM-1 that was dedicated to an old Zeiss 400mm telephoto that had been modified to fit it. My Pentax MX was my low light camera, fitted with 50mm f1.4, and 135 f 2.0 lenses. The Canon in the pictures is a T90, with a Tamron 70-210 3.5 SP lens. Most of my old cameras were sold to KEH camera a few years ago, thankfully before the bottom dropped out of 35 mm equipment prices.

I have eleven lens to fit my EOS cameras, I won't be changing systems for a while.

Larry

#47 a.lachlan

a.lachlan

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 February 2013 - 14:47

I use a Canon IXUS 100 for a point and shoot, which was one of (if not the) smallest point and shoot on the market when I got it, it was my main camera for a few years before I got my DSLR, a Canon 30D from my parents for my 19th birthday. I had picked it out for them and it was only £170 used. I then bought a used kit lens and later a 50mm 1.8 (Canon's cheapest lens), which I LOVE!

Thinking about it, I haven't been doing much photography at all recently which is a shame, but I've had exams and nothing that inspiring to shoot alas

Here's a pic of it:
Posted Image

And a pic taken with it:
Posted Image

#48 coyotewhisper

coyotewhisper

What do you mean you don't have an Esterbrook!

• Member - Gold

• 885 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 February 2013 - 19:20

I have had cameras all my life. I still have my Pentax ME, film camera. Currently I do not have a DSLR, I sold my Nikon d40.
I'm currently using a Canon Power Shot sx10 is, it's a great point shot camera it still does not equal a DSLR. I would like to get an Olympus or Pentax DSLR.
Here is shot from the Canon.
God is my Strength.
Brad Posted ImagePosted Image

#49 coyotewhisper

coyotewhisper

What do you mean you don't have an Esterbrook!

• Member - Gold

• 885 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 February 2013 - 19:20

I have had cameras all my life. I still have my Pentax ME, film camera. Currently I do not have a DSLR, I sold my Nikon d40.
I'm currently using a Canon Power Shot sx10 is, it's a great point shot camera it still does not equal a DSLR. I would like to get an Olympus or Pentax DSLR.
Here is shot from the Canon.

Attached Images

• IMG_0646.JPG

God is my Strength.
Brad Posted ImagePosted Image

#50 Waski_the_Squirrel

Waski_the_Squirrel

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 February 2013 - 20:12

I'm all Canon since I switched to digital. (The film camera was a Ricoh.)

The P&S was my first digital camera, a Canon PowerShot Pro Series S3 IS. I learned a lot from that camera. Now it is relegated to doing video for some physics labs (and not even that very well since it fell over while on a tripod).

I currently use a Canon 5d Mark ii as my regular camera.
Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

#51 K. Cakes

K. Cakes

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 23:51

I can't believe I've never found this thread before! I'm a professional photographer using Canon DSLRs and a mix of Canon and Minolta SLRs. Though I've been saving for a 4x5 with a digital back for... ages! One day :cloud9:
Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.

#52 K. Cakes

K. Cakes

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 23:53

I use a Canon IXUS 100 for a point and shoot, which was one of (if not the) smallest point and shoot on the market when I got it, it was my main camera for a few years before I got my DSLR, a Canon 30D from my parents for my 19th birthday. I had picked it out for them and it was only £170 used. I then bought a used kit lens and later a 50mm 1.8 (Canon's cheapest lens), which I LOVE!

Thinking about it, I haven't been doing much photography at all recently which is a shame, but I've had exams and nothing that inspiring to shoot alas

Here's a pic of it:
Posted Image

And a pic taken with it:
Posted Image

Your dog is adorable!!!
I also love the 50mm 1.8. I still occasionally choose it over my 1.2, especially when leaving my studio. Stopped up it performs like a lens costing 5x as much.
Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.

#53 loqutus

loqutus

What me worry?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:12

Here's a pic of it:
Posted Image

And a pic taken with it:
Posted Image

Great pictures! and welcome to FPN

I have a 60D and got that same 1.8 50mm ( the 'nifty fifty' ) when i started out

if you like that then can i strongly suggest you consider paying a little more for the f1/1.4 50mm lens. It is MUCH better than the 1.8 and you'll not regret the money, I think.

I got mine online from this site ( no affiliation just a very satisfied customer ) www.digitalrev.com

best wishes
Live Long and Prosper.

#54 KJY

KJY

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,091 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 16:22

DSLR is Canon 550D

18-200 mm Image Stabilizer
70-300 mm
60 2.8 macro mm
Flashlight 550 EX

Point and shoot:
Iphone 5. Quite good pics I have to say. And it is something that I have with me all the time.
My preferred supplier (no affiliation just a very happy customer):
Appelboom

#55 Pen Nut

Pen Nut

"You open one safe door and another one closes"

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,002 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 February 2013 - 18:48

My DSLR cameras are ; Sony SLT A37, Canon 500D and a trusty old Nikon D50. Maybe cashing them in to fund another but not that sure what I would go for.

My heart says English, my head says Japanese, my hand holds German (pens, cars or beer ?)

" I spend 95% of my income on pens..........the rest I just waste " 

#56 a.lachlan

a.lachlan

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 February 2013 - 15:56

I have a 60D and got that same 1.8 50mm ( the 'nifty fifty' ) when i started out

if you like that then can i strongly suggest you consider paying a little more for the f1/1.4 50mm lens. It is MUCH better than the 1.8 and you'll not regret the money, I think.

I got mine online from this site ( no affiliation just a very satisfied customer ) www.digitalrev.com

best wishes

The 1.4 is definitely on my list of lenses to get sometime after uni's out the way and I have money, the 1.8 is great for the price, but you can't cover up the fact that it's still a plastic body that requires some care.
I've been subscribed to digitalrev's Youtube channel for a while now, do you know where they deliver from?

Your dog is adorable!!!
I also love the 50mm 1.8. I still occasionally choose it over my 1.2, especially when leaving my studio. Stopped up it performs like a lens costing 5x as much.

Thanks ^-^
Whenever I'm bored in the house and it's raining outside but I'm really in the mood for some photography, it's usually the dogs I end up taking pics of!

#57 trax

trax

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 February 2013 - 00:16

Thanks ^-^
Whenever I'm bored in the house and it's raining outside but I'm really in the mood for some photography, it's usually the dogs I end up taking pics of!

I do too :D And great dog you have! :) Thank goodness for dogs on rainy days :) Mine used to try to hide from the camera but now he doesn't even care anymore, totally relaxed :) :)

I have a 24mm F1.4, but haven't tried the 50mm.
If you take care of the minutes, the years will take care of themselves. -Tibetan saying.
Posted Image

#58 loqutus

loqutus

What me worry?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:19

best wishes

The 1.4 is definitely on my list of lenses to get sometime after uni's out the way and I have money, the 1.8 is great for the price, but you can't cover up the fact that it's still a plastic body that requires some care.
I've been subscribed to digitalrev's Youtube channel for a while now, do you know where they deliver from?

Your dog is adorable!!!

Thanks ^-^

They are based in Hong Kong

You may also enjoy their Youtube channel digitalrev tv

Both hilarious and educational ( an uncommon combination ), lots of test shoots around Hong Kong and the presenter has an ersatz English public school accent and a Leica fetish
Live Long and Prosper.

#59 a.lachlan

a.lachlan

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 February 2013 - 16:51

best wishes

Your dog is adorable!!!

Thanks ^-^

They are based in Hong Kong

You may also enjoy their Youtube channel digitalrev tv

Both hilarious and educational ( an uncommon combination ), lots of test shoots around Hong Kong and the presenter has an ersatz English public school accent and a Leica fetish

Yeah I've been a subscriber for a while now, didn't know they had a shop! I've heard the channel compared to Top Gear many times :ltcapd: