The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

How Do I Refill This Fountain Pen?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 blue131

blue131

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:10

Hello, I just obtained a new Waterman fountain pen.
I thought at first it was a cartridge pen, but it has a chrome cylinder.
I googled for few hours but all I could find out was that it is a early 1970s fountain pen with a capillary feed.
My problem is that I do not know how I should refill this fountain pen.
I am very grateful for any advice.

Thank you for any answers in advance.

Attached Images

• 2.JPG
  • 1.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 Force

Force

Fergus 1998-2015

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,271 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:20

You will find the brass part levers up one side. Dip pen into ink and activate the lever.

#3 blue131

blue131

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:38

It does not feel like its movable without any force.
I am not sure, is there an ink sac attached or which kind of mechanism is it?
Can you give me the name of the model or any instruction with picture?
I do not want to break it before I wrote with it. ;)

#4 Force

Force

Fergus 1998-2015

• Member - Gold

• 6,271 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 December 2012 - 13:07

It does not feel like its movable without any force.
I am not sure, is there an ink sac attached or which kind of mechanism is it?
Can you give me the name of the model or any instruction with picture?
I do not want to break it before I wrote with it. ;)

Yes, there is a sac inside and I am not 100% sure of the mechanism. Maybe it has siezed or the sac has hardened with age. Sorry I will leave the model to the early pen experts.

#5 RMN

RMN

Ancient Artifact

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,118 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 December 2012 - 19:09

There has been one like that a few weeks or so ago on this forum. It is some form of early converter.

I Don't recall the outcome of that thread.

D.ick

Edit: found the thread:

http://www.fountainp..._1#entry2523762

Alas no definitive outcome. The important picture is missing in the ebay advert that the OP links to.

D.ick

Edited by RMN, 30 December 2012 - 19:27.

~

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

#6 Dillo

Dillo

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 6,643 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:10

Hi,

It's probably possible to restore the converter. It looks interesting. I have restored a few rare converters with sacs like the converter that comes with the MB Carrera.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Dillon

#7 esteroids

esteroids

Extremely Rare

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 December 2012 - 21:09

Is that not a capillary X pen, like the Parker 61?
The capillary, when not blocked with dry ink, will fill itself by capillary action when the nib is left immersed in ink (sorry for the circular definition).

I was able to take apart the capillary filler on my 61 to clean it. It was filled with a rolled wire mesh - like door screening. When it works it's not bad, but there is a reason they were manufactured for only a short period.

I've been on the prowl for an X pen to see if I can have the same fun with a Waterman.

#8 Force

Force

Fergus 1998-2015

• Member - Gold

• 6,271 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 December 2012 - 21:38

Is that not a capillary X pen, like the Parker 61?
The capillary, when not blocked with dry ink, will fill itself by capillary action when the nib is left immersed in ink (sorry for the circular definition).

I was able to take apart the capillary filler on my 61 to clean it. It was filled with a rolled wire mesh - like door screening. When it works it's not bad, but there is a reason they were manufactured for only a short period.

I've been on the prowl for an X pen to see if I can have the same fun with a Waterman.

No, it's an Aerometric filler. Dip nib into ink, activate lever and let it go upon which the ink is drawn into the sac. Repeat until no bubbles are seen in the ink when lever is activated.

There was a topic during the year which included details on this filler, here tis.

Here is a capillary filler pen showing clearly the mesh cartridge.

Edited by Force, 01 January 2013 - 16:15.

Sponsored Content

|