Merry Christmas - To Me

DrCodfish

After sending off the gifts to friends and family, paying outstanding bills, and making a number of cheritable contributions, I once again considered a gift from me, ... to me.

I had been lusting for a Pelikan M200 Demonstrator for the last few months. I like the way the gold accents stand out on the transparent body and I imagined that certain bright colored inks could really make this a dramatic looking pen. Further, I have developed a taste for stub nibs, and though this seemed a self indulgent excess, it appeared that the budget could stand one more end-of-the-year expenditure. I made an inquiry to Classsic Fountain Pens, aka nibs.com and after some discussion I submitted an order for this pen with a custom ground (0.9mm stub) 14k M250 single tone gold nib.

On my way home late on Christmas eve I stopped by the small post office in our little town and to my great pleasure the package from southern California was there waiting for me. Arriving home I set the package aside as I attended to chores needing to be done. Once the cat was fed, dinner in the oven, and the house suitably warmed, I turned my attention to the pleasurable task of opening up the package and revealing my new treasure.

I realize that this pen does not stack up to a new Maki-e Renjishi, or a vintage Toledo, pens I would love to, but likely never shall own. Still, for me this is a big deal and based on previous experiences, both with CFP, and Pelikan pens, I expect that it will give me great pleasure over time.

I knew befor I even received this pen that I was going to fill it, at least initially, with a very vibrant, colorful ink. I selected Diamine Matador, a saturated red ink, which yielded the anticipated effect: The rich red ink stands out in the barrel of the pen and does a wonderful job of complimenting the rich gold accents of the pen.

In addition to its outstanding looks, the pen performs perfectly, a standard I have come to expect from nibs tuned or customized by Mr. Motishaw at CFP. Though my writing is atrocious, this pen is such a joy to use that it inspires me to write more, ... and more.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RobertJRB

• collado

• DrCodfish

• tandaina

The new Pelikan M200 demonstrator is a great pen, I especially like it's translucent piston holder which is different from the old style.

Congrats with a real nice gift. I agree on the gold with transparant color. It looks stunning.

Oh, about ink. I really like edelstein topaz for my m800 demo. It has a real nice deep color with I think works really good with the gold and transparant resin of the pens.

Pelikan nut

Your new pen is a beauty! I think that the M200 series is very underrated. Especially if you upgrade one with a gold nib from Mr. Mottishaw, it will write better and longer than 99% of fountain pens out there. If you add in the fact that it is a demonstrator with interesting ink, it is a complete winner!

As far as writing goes, fountain pens make my scrawl look more interesting, if not better. Sometimes they slow me down enough that my writing gets compliments. This is from someone who routinely received a "D" in penmanship! If only they had given me a real pen!

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

Wonderful Christmas gift for yourself! Love those Pelicans! The 200 Demonstrator is a very good choice, Congrats!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Congratulations. I have a clear M200 and love it as well. Wish it was a little heavier but the pen is gorgeous and writes beautifully (mine has Pelikan's italic nib).

Cheers,

NM