Platignum Studio

KrazyIvan

It's a very good review, but I wasn't as lucky as you on Platignum. A couple days ago I bought one from a local pen shop with a hooded nib. It's a sexy white pen and accepts my standard cartridges, but... The nib is terrible. It simply doesn't write most of the time. I tried to fix it without much success, and I don't want to return it, because I messed up with the nib a little.

I thought about sending it to someone, like Binder, but it would cost a lot for this cheap pen. Maybe I should buy another one.

I heard other people had nib problems with Platignum pens too. So, adding to your review, if you can, try the pen before buying.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KrazyIvan

• impossiblebird

• 79spitfire

• lreiley

And this from Jetpens who list standard international cartridges as a replacement.

Yes, this pen has a very standard setting/parts which allow it to be refilled by the cartridges that we listed on our website. The refill information we have on our website is provided by our suppliers for the products they sell to us.

X fountainpens.com also states that their Standard cartridges fit Platignum.

This also from JetPens, during the process of me returning mine:

"After further inspection, it does not appear that the Pelikan C499 converter (or any converter that we stock) will work with the Platignum fountain pens. We sincerely apologize for this error!

Unfortunately, our supplier had informed is that the international standard format cartridge and converter would work with these pens, but this appears to not be the case. We are currently working with the manufacturer directly to source the Platignum brand specific cartridges, and any converter they may offer."

I did return it, but it wrote like warm butter on a satin sheet.

Here in Egypt one finds a large variety of cartridge brands depending on whatever wholesalers can get their hands on when they go abroad. German, Spanish, Italian, Chinese, Czech, and French brands are par for the course. There is variation between them. Some have really sloppy tolerances for hole diameter, maximum width, and length. The result is some cartridges won't fit in some pens. My Platignum takes international cartridges.

Nice review Ivan...I have the Khaki version and I am using the small converter too. I like it very much...I dont there there is a stitch of plastic anywhere on it. I am thinking of the orange one next...I wish they made the black with black hardware..that would be sweet.

Nice review Ivan...I have the Khaki version and I am using the small converter too. I like it very much...I dont there there is a stitch of plastic anywhere on it. I am thinking of the orange one next...I wish they made the black with black hardware..that would be sweet.

That would be nice!

Black nib too!

Increase your IQ, use Linux AND a Fountain pen!!http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk11/79spitfire/Neko_animated.gif
http://fedoraproject.org/w/uploads/5/50/Fedorabutton-iusefedora.png

It's a very good review, but I wasn't as lucky as you on Platignum. A couple days ago I bought one from a local pen shop with a hooded nib. It's a sexy white pen and accepts my standard cartridges, but... The nib is terrible. It simply doesn't write most of the time. I tried to fix it without much success, and I don't want to return it, because I messed up with the nib a little.

I thought about sending it to someone, like Binder, but it would cost a lot for this cheap pen. Maybe I should buy another one.

I heard other people had nib problems with Platignum pens too. So, adding to your review, if you can, try the pen before buying.

An update on this issue: After flushing the pen a couple times more, it started writing. My bad.

I have two of these which I use for work, one yellow with Waterman black ink and one orange with Waterman red...the Monteverde mini converters work just fine. I quite like these pens, they're pretty smooth to write with, but I've found they tend to dry out easily through inactivity - just a couple of days and the nib needs a quick rinse under the tap to coax out any ink.

Yeah Black nib would be the bomb digidy....I have been writing with mine all day..using Noodlers 54th...smooth. I just want a finer nib....but what the heck it only cost 25 bucks.

An update on this issue: After flushing the pen a couple times more, it started writing. My bad.

that is good to hear. :D

I have this pen, and bought another for a friend. Said friend came back to me within a short time and said the clutch had gone on the cap when he'd posted it, and the pen would no longer stay securely capped. Blow me, if the same thing didn't happen to mine, as well. Not through over-enthusiastic posting, either. Can't get the cap to stay on the section now, at all. Shame, as it was otherwise sturdy, and a good writer, with a spookily smooth nib.

I reported this problem on another review page, and another FPN member reported the same problem. It's too low value to make return & repair a sensible option; the only solution seems to be making a desk pen out of the thing ... all I want is the time and inclination ... :rolleyes:

I reported this problem on another review page, and another FPN member reported the same problem. It's too low value to make return & repair a sensible option; the only solution seems to be making a desk pen out of the thing ... all I want is the time and inclination ... :rolleyes:

I returned mine for store credit on JetPens (who offered refund) but not for this reason. So return for repair and desk pen aren't necessarily the only options.

I am guessing you probably broke the inner cap. I do not post often but I will keep this in mind if I do. Thanks.

I had been pre-warned, and was posting the cap very carefully, but it broke anyway, and after very little use.

Anyway, I just thought I'd alert folks to what seemed to me to be a weakness in the cap design. Of course, I may be somewhat prejudiced by the fact that Platignum FPs were notoriously and consistently unsatisfying, for a variety of reasons, when I was at school. I've gone right off posting my caps these days, in any case.

I thought these pens had been discontinued?

Edited by impossiblebird

I returned mine for store credit on JetPens (who offered refund) but not for this reason. So return for repair and desk pen aren't necessarily the only options.

Cheers. I'm afraid I bought the pens from ebay, and the pens weren't put into service until records of the transaction had expired, and I couldn't remember who the seller had been. I did report the problem to Platignum, who did after all make them, but had no response. Wasted a tenner. Tant pis. :mellow:

Re: the converter conundrum, I'm pretty sure that cultpens used to recommend the Faber Castell converter for use with all new model Platignum pens other than the no.2. I'm equally sure that it was the Rotring converter I was using in the no.5 (I know I had a bunch of those, and hadn't got round to buying any Faber Castell converters; both are regarded as universal fit), and I do know it fit just fine.

I bet one of the 'plain Jane' Chinese converters - one with no metal fitting at the nipple end - would fit.

Incidentally, I used the aforementioned Platignum no.2 with this Kaweco converter, which was great until I decided the pen needed a thorough clean, and the converter was so tight that it would only come out with the aid of tweezers ... but that's another story.

Edited by impossiblebird

• 3 months later...

I had been pre-warned, and was posting the cap very carefully, but it broke anyway, and after very little use.

Anyway, I just thought I'd alert folks to what seemed to me to be a weakness in the cap design. Of course, I may be somewhat prejudiced by the fact that Platignum FPs were notoriously and consistently unsatisfying, for a variety of reasons, when I was at school. I've gone right off posting my caps these days, in any case.

I thought these pens had been discontinued?

Platignium pens were discontinued but Snowpake bought the name. Below is a quote from my enquiry to Platignium

"I have been passed responsibility, as Marketing Manager for all three brands, the responsibility of Platignum product development. Platignum was established in 1919, but we purchased the brand name and re-launched the brand in 2007. When we re-launched the brand, we developed 22 new products from our suppliers in the Far East, as we did not acquire any old branding or products with acquisition. Today all our products are designed in the UK but manufactured in the Far East.

Platignum does have a superb history and we have purchased several artefacts from Ebay. "

I also purchased a Studio no5 FP and BP set from the bay for the grand total of £5.50 inc. postage. As it is still all packaged it seems a shame to break into the pack, but here I go. Now to rinse the nib before ink................

Later.

Well it writes well now I have got the tines level. It seems more sensitive to line variation than some other pens. Not through flex, but just from ink flow. Perhaps it is a little dry, as it has a very tight nib slit. The quality of the pen is very good with so much metal involved and will probably get a place in my rotation.

Surprised though at the seeming retention of the old cartridge size. Some international carts are VERY tight, and how important to a "new" company, is supplying ink to previous era pen owners. It seems that they may care after all, which is good to see these days. Not to forget the importance of ink sales.

"This concludes the voting for England".

K

Edited by Durham K

I can't help but feel a tad ripped off by the fact that the pen is not made in Britain. I have some of the old 'silverline' pens (the ones with the interchangeable nibs) I was hoping for a continuation of the same theme...

Increase your IQ, use Linux AND a Fountain pen!!http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk11/79spitfire/Neko_animated.gif
http://fedoraproject.org/w/uploads/5/50/Fedorabutton-iusefedora.png