Franklin-Christoph Pen Cases Review

mAnuscript69

First of all, this will be a verbose and image-heavy review. Also, I apologise for the poor pictures; these photos were taken with my mobile phone.

A little less than a week ago I received a USPS parcel from Franklin-Christoph. I had ordered the zippered 20-pen case in Boot Black with Brown binding and a 3-pen case in Black. I will review the 20-pen case and give my thoughts on the product followed by the 3-pen case which I’ll do the same.

Upon opening the mailing box, which was padded with packing paper, I was greeted with this:

Packaging.jpg

There’s nothing fancy about the packaging; an elegant approach reeking minimalism. I like that they kept packaging down to the bare minimum to reduce waste. That logo really stands out in the vast white space.

Let’s start with the Zippered 20-Pen Case.

Colour: Boot Black with Brown binding

Exterior Material: Boot leather (distressed)

Interior Material: Ribbed cloth

Interior Flap Material: Padded ribbed cloth

Exterior Stitching: Gold

Interior Stitching: Black

Dimensions: 9.35”L x 7.75” W x 1.75”D // 74cm L x 20cm W x 5cm D

20_front.jpg

20_back.jpg

I had a hard time deciding between the two available colours, they both looked so good! The Boot Brown with Black binding version comes with matching brown zippers. I opted for Boot Black because I’m boring like that. Upon unwrapping the shrink wrap I was greeted by the glorious smell of leather. No mistaking this for faux leather here. The leather feels good to the touch, with a matte feel and finish. Do note that the leather will scuff and wear with use; if you want your case to look pristine for years to come, this case is not for you.

Note that there are two zippers instead of one. I don’t know why they decided to go with two, but I am impartial to that decision. The zipper is very smooth and doesn’t snag. It seems well made and only time will reveal its durability. The stitching is very neat and well done.

20_logo.jpg

At the bottom of the case, down the binding you will find a subtly imprinted Franklin-Christoph logo. I like the fact that they decided to imprint their logo in an obscure position which isn’t very noticeable. The FC logo is also imprinted on the zippers.

20_inside.jpg

Opening up the case reveals two protective flaps, which is a nice touch for added protection. The interior lining is made from some kind of ribbed cloth of unknown material. It feels a little rough due to the ribs; I had worries about the material scratching my pens but seeing as FC is a pen company themselves, I trust that they have done their research. Further, I have been using this case for a little less than a week now and have not noticed any scratches on my pens, though the cloth has shown some marks of wear (which I happen to like). I believe this is intentional, as is the distressed leather. The flap is made of the same material as the interior, though it is padded. I don’t know what material is used for padding, but based on the sound it makes when I rub it, I’m guessing it's some kind of foam.

20_open.jpg

Flaps aside, there are 20 elastic loops firmly attached. When new, the elastic bands are very tight. They definitely require some breaking in but once they have been broken in, they can accommodate most pens. The elastic bands are thick and well spaced out to prevent pens from touching. Note the scuff marks present.

20_open-full.jpg

A thing to note that the interior stitching is done in black, instead of gold as per the pictures on FC’s website. I happen to like this as well but you might not. Also, I don’t like how the end loops are stitched into the zipper cloth. That makes it much harder to access and makes it more vulnerable to damage from the side. There is enough cover overhang to protect these pens but I would be more at ease if they were a little more spaced out from the zipper.

Let’s load this case up with some pens, shall we?

20_loaded-right.jpg

The right side of the case, loaded with some pens. Note that I do not use the loops at the ends due to the reasons mentioned above. Eventually when I fill this case up I will use them.

20_loaded-left.jpg

The left side of the case. Again, I am not using the end loops and yes, those are indeed ball point pens. In my defence I received them as gifts and the best that I could do for them is to give them a nice home to reside in, since I haven’t written with them in ages.

20_loaded-height.jpg

Lastly, the loaded case closed, with the FC 3-pen case and a Lamy Safari for scale. It is pretty thick, with some give when compressed.

What I like about the Zippered 20-Pen Case:

+ Pricing. At US$75 with free international shipping, there is great value to be had.

+ Stitching is very neat and well done

+ Leather smells good and feels good to the touch; wears over time

+ Elastic bands are firm and secure

+ Zipper is smooth and reliable

+ Two interior flaps for added protection

+ Minimal Packaging

+ Unobstrusive logo

What I don’t like about the Zippered 20-Pen Case:

- Elastic loops at the end of the case is sewn into the zipper. Very annoying.

- Interior cloth could be smoother to induce more confidence

- Only 1 elastic band for each pen; two would have been more secure

- Interior flap padding material could be improved. Something about the sound it makes gives a cheap impression.

Overall, I am very satisfied with this pen case. At this price point, the case is very well made and will last a very long time. The leather will wear over time, giving it a unique look which is very personal. If you are looking for a well made leather 20-pen case and aren’t quite ready to part with over a hundred dollars, this case is for you.

Still with me? Good. Get up, stretch a little, have a sip of tea because we’re moving on to the 3-Pen Case next.

Colour: Black

Material: Nappa Leather

Interior Divider Material: Nylon

Stitching: Gold

Dimensions: 5.5” L x 2.5” W x 1” D // 14cm L x 6.5cm W x 2.5cm D

3_front.jpg

The FC pen case is also available in 1-pen and 2-pen versions, in Black and Maroon. I opted for the Black 3-pen version. I’ll be honest. The pictures on FC’s website weren’t very enticing. What attracted me most was the price. Upon receiving the 3-Pen Case I was pleasantly surprised. The Nappa leather is supple and the stitching is very well done. The front and back of the case is padded with what I’m guessing is cardboard; it is very stiff and offers assurance for my pens. The sides and the bottom aren't padded but don’t feel like it will fall apart with use.

3_back.jpg

Nothing much going on at the back aside from branding. Again, the FC logo is ubobstrusively imprinted at the back of the case. Very elegant indeed. Unlike the Zippered 20-Pen Case, there isn’t a distinct leather smell reeking from the case. A huge whiff yields a familiar leather smell, but not as prominent as the 20-Pen Case.

3_logo.jpg

Note the little scuff at the bottom. I dropped this case from a shelf once and that was the result. I didn’t have high expectations for this case to begin with but that scuff shows how much leather is used in making this case (not much).

3_open.jpg

Opening up the case reveals a rather boxy design, with sewn in nylon dividers which run all the way down the case. The loops are rigid; the nylon is very stiff. As with the interior material of the Zippered 20-Pen Case, I feared that the nylon would scratch my pens. However, the nylon has broken in a little and is a little more flexible now. Leather or velvet would have been a better choice, but for a 3-pen case at this price, I guess a compromise has to be made somewhere. Also, some glue was visible behind the nylon loops but I have removed the residue with ease.

Let’s load this case up!

3_loaded.jpg

I am confident that this case will hold pens of most sizes. There is definitely a lot of room for girthier pens. This case swallowed up my Ahab with ease. Length wise, Pens longer than a Safari won’t fit without adding a bulge to the flap. If you don’t mind the top part of the case bulging out, you can easily fit pens up to the size of a Pilot Parallel in this case. One annoying this is that due to the boxy design of the case, some pens take some effort to be removed from the case. I had no issue with plastic pens like the Safari but pens with chrome caps seem to taunt me each time I pinch the top of the cap only to have my fingers slip. A simple taper or step down will save users a lot of frustration, I reckon.

3_size%20comparison.jpg

Finally, here’s a shot of the 3-Pen Case with a Lamy Safari to give you an idea of its size. I won’t be carrying this case in my shirt pocket.

What I like about the 3-Pen Case

+ Price.

+ Size accommodates most pens from small to large

+ Supple leather is pleasant to the touch

+ Stitching is very neat and well done.

+ Minimal packaging

What I don’t like about the 3-Pen Case

- Durability. You get what you pay for.

- Nylon loops aren’t very assuring.

- Removing pens from the case can be frustrating and incredibly annoying.

- Case is a little too bulky for my preference.

Overall, I am satisfied with Franklin-Christoph pen cases. I can definitely recommend the Zippered 20-Pen Case for storage. As for the 3-Pen Case, there are better options out there but if price is your main concern, this case will serve its purpose.

Edited by mAnuscript69

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mAnuscript69

• Sham69

• sargetalon

• cybaea

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've been considering their 6 and 13 pen cases but they have so few photos of them on their website it's hard to tell if they're exactly what I want so this review is quite helpful, even though you're reviewing different models.

I've been considering their 6 and 13 pen cases but they have so few photos of them on their website it's hard to tell if they're exactly what I want so this review is quite helpful, even though you're reviewing different models.

I was considering the Penvelope as well. What put me off was that the loops on the Penvelope obscure the pens too much! Otherwise a great looking case.

• 2 weeks later...

I own a FC 6-pen penvelope for some time now and I can without doubt recommend the product. Their workmanship is of great quality.

I am not an expert on leather quality but the leather of my aston pen cases seems to be more supple than the FC one (however for the same capacity of pens Aston is probably more expensive than FC).

To me, FC is way more stylish than the aston product that I have encountered do far.

My pens seems more comfortable in FC case than the Aston case*.

* to be fair: I am comparing two very different models.

Edited by isildur

“silence is the language of god,

all else is poor translation.”

Rumi

I own a FC 6-pen penvelope for some time now and I can without doubt recommend the product. Their workmanship is of great quality.

I am not an expert on leather quality but the leather of my aston pen cases seems to be more supple than the FC one (however for the same capacity of pens Aston is probably more expensive than FC).

To me, FC is way more stylish than the aston product that I have encountered do far.

Me pens seems more comfortable in FC case than the Aston case*.

* to be fair: I am comparing two very different models.

I have no experience with Aston cases, but I agree that FC cases are more rugged. Several other cases which I've handled have much more supple leather but usually cost much more. I almost pulled the trigger on an Aston case but shipping was prohibitive thus I went with the FC case instead.

Ugh. I'm stuck between the Aston and the FC 20 pen cases. I agree that he FC looks better on the exterior but think the Aston looks better on the interior. I also like the double loops of the Aston. Any problem with the single loops on the FC and pens knocking around?

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

Ugh. I'm stuck between the Aston and the FC 20 pen cases. I agree that he FC looks better on the exterior but think the Aston looks better on the interior. I also like the double loops of the Aston. Any problem with the single loops on the FC and pens knocking around?

So far I've had no problems with pens knocking about. When new, the elastic loops are really tight but stretch well. This allows the case to accommodate pens of varying thicknesses. Also, the loops are well spaced, allowing some leeway for pens to move a little without touching. However once the elastic is stretched, it takes awhile before shrinking again.

I haven't brought this case out for long commutes though; this case resides mostly at home for storage.

I just bought this 20 pen case from the manufacturer at the Philly Pen Show. This review paints a very detailed and accurate picture of the case itself and my experience so far has been similar to the OP.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

• 2 months later...

[...]

What I don’t like about the Zippered 20-Pen Case:

- Elastic loops at the end of the case is sewn into the zipper. Very annoying.

- Interior cloth could be smoother to induce more confidence

- Only 1 elastic band for each pen; two would have been more secure

- Interior flap padding material could be improved. Something about the sound it makes gives a cheap impression.

[...]

The images on their site now show it with two elastic bands, so maybe they have changed the design after reading your review! I have ordered one and will let you know.

http://www.franklin-christoph.com/uploads/1/0/4/5/10453260/3739657_orig.jpg

I am no longer very active on FPN but feel free to message me. Or send me a postal letter!

The images on their site now show it with two elastic bands, so maybe they have changed the design after reading your review! I have ordered one and will let you know.

http://www.franklin-christoph.com/uploads/1/0/4/5/10453260/3739657_orig.jpg

That's great! I hope they add a little space to the end elastics, it gets really annoying trying to get a pen out of those slots. Being so close to the zipper, you've got to be careful not to run the zipper over the pen.

That's great! I hope they add a little space to the end elastics, it gets really annoying trying to get a pen out of those slots. Being so close to the zipper, you've got to be careful not to run the zipper over the pen.

I got mine. They do now have two bands which is nice. On the down side, there are still four places "in the zipper" which limits their usefulness. And I find them just a little small: the attached shows the 20 pen case with the Montblanc 149 inserted.

post-101322-0-54344600-1365758146.jpg

I am no longer very active on FPN but feel free to message me. Or send me a postal letter!

+1 - It is constantly in my purse (brown croc finish) and looks fantastic after months of use and honestly abuse.

It seems to me very elegant, I like too much. Congratulations for the purchase.

My web-blog:

FPNheader-transparentepaxticolor.png

www.FountainPenLand.com

• 4 weeks later...

I received the 3-pen case in black leather recently and love the way it looks. However, I've been hesitant to put some of my more expensive pens in it because of the nylon padding. It feels a little rough to the touch, and as mentioned by the OP, I worry about it scratching certain finishes. I'd be interested to know if anyone's had that problem. It does seem like a very well made and sturdy case.

"Instant gratification takes too long."-Carrie Fisher

I looked at these this past Thursday at Vanness Pens and loved the 20 pen version. It is the new style with double bands. Needless to say it came home with me!!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I received the 3-pen case in black leather recently and love the way it looks. However, I've been hesitant to put some of my more expensive pens in it because of the nylon padding. It feels a little rough to the touch, and as mentioned by the OP, I worry about it scratching certain finishes. I'd be interested to know if anyone's had that problem. It does seem like a very well made and sturdy case.

I think that theoretically anyway, it'd be impossible for the nylon to scratch any fountain pen.

Keep in mind that to scratch a material requires a material harder than the material being scratched.

That nylon fiber isn't nearly as hard as any pen material. Therefore, it Can't scratch the pen.

Now, I'd agree there is another remote unlikelyhood that Could scratch the pen in that case and that would be if say the nylon

picked up (for the sake of discussion) some sand granules on it. It could be possible that the silica grains could be harder than a plastic or celluloid pen material and the embedded sand could scratch the pen but then technically it wouldn't be The Nylon Material doing the scratching.

I also agree that the 2 loops are more preferred to me than 1, in fact, Just One is a deal Breaker.

Bruce in Ocala, FL