#31 raging.dragon

raging.dragon

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,987 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 December 2012 - 21:57

most materials will break if they hit a hard floor JUUUUST right...

For pens pretty much the only exceptions are metals. Micarta and other fibre reinforced plastics would also be be awfully hard to damage. Now just imagine a porcelain Montblanc or Sailor dropping onto a hard floor....

:yikes:

#32 karmakoda

karmakoda

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 December 2012 - 23:18

Offering most sincere sympathies, gawd, those photos are painful to look at.
Yes, I know the feeling, I destroyed a gorgeous vintage Montblanc, dropped and damaged another perfect Montblanc, and lost my favorite Omas.
In each case, I forced myself to replace the pens immediately.
I've only heard great compliments about nibs.com, so hopefully a new cap will be on it's way to you soon.
If it were me, I would send the whole pen back, trade it in and start all over.
Best wishes for a speedy resolution.

#33 Yomillio

Yomillio

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:26

Ugh, that's brutal. My heart would drop if I were in that situation... here's to hoping that they will sort it out for you!
Waterman Phileas F - Parker 51 Blue Diamond Vac - Esterbrook J 9788 (Extra Flex M) - Esterbrook J 2314M (Relief M Stub) - Lamy Safari XF - Hero 616

Posted Image

#34 Frank C

Frank C

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:55

Very sorry to hear about your pen. Fountain pens are very personal items and become "part of the family". I have dropped several of my Nakayas at work. They all survived without any visible damage.

Ebonite is a fairly durable material, which is, in part, why it is used in pens. Yours appears to have broken at the beginning of the threads--always a potential weak spot. I would think that Nakaya will do what they can to fix your pen.

When I read your post, I went to check my Nakayas. Most were resting quietly in their kimonos. But one of them, a heki-tamenuri decapod with a broad nib was sneaking out of his. I put him back in and tied the kimono up after showing him your picture of what can happen. He is a writer and a decapod, so I don't think he would have gone too far. He may have been trying to get closer to a demure araishu piccolo with a fine nib. She is the latest addition and I may not have warned her sufficiently about some of her siblings!

See what i mean, "part of the family".
"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson
I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

#35 JefferyS

JefferyS

"Don't tase me, bro!"

• Moderators

• 3,211 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:06

I had a new Sheaffer Balance II that had a very unusual tiger stripe pattern in the resin. The first week, I tried to unscrew the cap and the cap broke, right along one of the tiger stripes. I tried to epoxy it back together, but it didn't come close to working.
Jeffery
In the Irish Channel of
New Orleans, LA

#36 Dillo

Dillo

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,527 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:00

Hi,

I'll also come back to echo the sentiment that these pens are quite durable. Mine have survived a few drops and they are still like they were when they were new. They were capped when it happened, but the material is generally quite durable. Once it is fixed again, I don't think you have to worry.

Dillon

Sheaffer Lady and Parker Falcon fs
Apple Macbook owners, please read!
HP/RPN fellowship

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Dillon

#37 raging.dragon

raging.dragon

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,987 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:12

I had a new Sheaffer Balance II that had a very unusual tiger stripe pattern in the resin. The first week, I tried to unscrew the cap and the cap broke, right along one of the tiger stripes. I tried to epoxy it back together, but it didn't come close to working.

The tiger eye Balance II is beautful, but they (and the other patterned Balance II's as well) are infamous for cracking.

#38 mbradley

mbradley

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:41

I truly mourn this temporary loss with you, I would be just as devastated as you are feeling if it happened to me. I don't think ebonite is a very brittle substance, perhaps the hardness of the Urushi Lacquer was able to transmit the shock of the fall in a way that wouldn't have happened to a hard rubber pen minus this very durable coating material ? The combining of differing materials can sometimes change the structural nature of the base material. I hope that Nakaya will be able to help you in a satisfactory way.

Michael

Edited by mbradley, 28 December 2012 - 06:41.

#39 NedC

NedC

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 December 2012 - 16:19

most materials will break if they hit a hard floor JUUUUST right...

For pens pretty much the only exceptions are metals. Micarta and other fibre reinforced plastics would also be be awfully hard to damage. Now just imagine a porcelain Montblanc or Sailor dropping onto a hard floor....

:yikes:

ABS is also pretty tough and especially impact resistant, but rather opaque—I'm waiting to see if anyone will make a demonstrator out of Trivex which is as tough as polycarbonate but much less prone to stress cracking, is optically clearer, less susceptible to scratching and much more chemical resistant.

#40 pavoni

pavoni

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 December 2012 - 21:25

Gosh :yikes: I am really sorry to hear of your misfortune Suziq. The title of your post drew me like some awful newspaper headline. Poor thing.

Building on all the good will shown by the good folk here at FPN, we all look forward to hearing that your enquiries of Nakaya/Nibs have been fruitful and that they have met your every expectation. ;) Please keep us informed.

Pavoni.

#41 Susan3141

Susan3141

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 December 2012 - 23:08

Hi all,

Here's an update.

Nakaya asked Nibs.com to send the pen. So, I guess that means that they will try to repair it or replace it. I still don't really know.

So, I sent my precious off blanketed in bubble wrap to Los Angeles for her even longer trip to Japan. The UPS lady looked at me strangely when I asked to see her put the packing sticker on the package. In fact, she said that she was going to have to put it in a bigger box. So I didn't actually see it stickered. I should have insisted upon staying and watching that process, but I didn't want her to see me cry. Only other pen addicts would understand.
I can't stop buying pens and it scares me.
Pelikan M600 Green o' Green CI; Pelikan M205; Pelikan 140 Blue; Pelikan 100N; Platinum Maki-e Cherry Blossoms; TWSBI 540 CI; Parker Duofold Lapis; 1970s MB 146; 1920s Waterman 52 1/2V; 1990s Aurora Optima; 1980s W. Germ. Pelikan M800; Nakaya Piccolo Enjoying the Moon Cat CI; Naka-ai heki-tamenuri broad CI/stub oblique flex. Coming soon: Pelikan M600 w/ custom blue lizard binde.

#42 Chrissy

Chrissy

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,534 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 December 2012 - 23:22

Hi Suzy

I really feel your pain and I know I would also be very upset if the same thing had happened to me.

I hope that Nakaya provide you with a satisfactory solution and will look forward to hearing what happens

postcardde9.png

#43 Soulmaker1

Soulmaker1

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,687 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 December 2012 - 23:23

That's great news! Glad that Nakaya is being proactive in helping you. This is truly the best advertising a company can have. Excellent customer service and support is what will get any company new customers. I haven't purchased a Nakaya yet, but this may sway me over, especially if they take care of this issue.

Best of luck, and hope it all works out!

Edited by Soulmaker1, 28 December 2012 - 23:42.

MB 149 YWC, MB Doue BP, Parker Sterling Silver Cisele BP & RB

#44 mhosea

mhosea

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,775 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 December 2012 - 23:28

So, I sent my precious off blanketed in bubble wrap to Los Angeles for her even longer trip to Japan.

Ah, the bittersweet start of a happy ending. Time to buy more pens. You know it will make you feel better.

I know my id is "mhosea", but you can call me Mike. It's an old Unix thing.

#45 tenney

tenney

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,549 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:51

I, too, feel your pain. Good luck!

My favorite little MB 234 1/2 fell out of my pocket when I was getting out (or into) the car at a pen posse, and it cracked on the end of the piston barrel. FarmBoy did his best and most patient chemical welding and it looked all ready to go... and then it re-cracked. Such a short fall and such damage when it hits just so "wrong".
--
Glenn (I have a "pen" circle on G+)

#46 TDL

TDL

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:38

I am certain that the skills and professionalism of Nibs.com and Nakaya will come up with a good solution, as they did with my Blue Dragon back in Januray. It may not be quick, but it will make your pen a moon cat that purrs again in your hand.
The Answer to Life, The Universe and Everything? 42 or Good fountain pens and Ink?

#47 reprieve

reprieve

And how does the sun even fit in the sky?

• Member - Gold

• 2,939 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 14:24

Oh no! That is absolutely heartbreaking!

I'm so glad Nibs.com and Nakaya are helping. Surely they will be able to make a new cap and your beautiful pen will be whole again.

#48 Dillo

Dillo

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,527 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 23:27

Hi,

Wow! I hope everything works out for you. We do often get very attached to our pens, don't we?

Dillon

Sheaffer Lady and Parker Falcon fs
Apple Macbook owners, please read!
HP/RPN fellowship

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Dillon

#49 caribbean_skye

caribbean_skye

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:23

Oh no. I was heartbroken before I even read what had happened. I'm so sorry to hear that. Due to meeting Ether at the Atlanta Pen show Nakaya is now my grail pen and I had been drooling over the same one you bought.

Very pleased to hear that nibs.com and Nakaya are taking care of this, please keep us updated.

Such a shame and on your first day un-boxing it too. I'm sure after reading your post loads of us will be taking extra special care of our pens.
Posted Image

#50 bilbobagginz

bilbobagginz

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:09

they say "(bleep) happens" but this is really too much

#51 myn

myn

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,614 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 December 2012 - 15:43

Hang in there Suzyq - You've already shown incredible patience in waiting to open your pen. This little journey to Japan and back will be over before you know it. I can just imagine your joy when that day arrives and your Nakaya is safely back in your hands.
"Minds are like parachutes. They only function when open." James Dewar
Posted Image

#52 elderberry

elderberry

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 December 2012 - 21:37

What an unlucky fall! I can remember dropping a Nakaya Piccolo and a Danitrio Genkai before (the latter on concrete, ouch) but they came out with, if any, very superficial damage. A Delta Dolce Vita was an entirely different matter... But I'll be even more careful with my Nakayas from now on.

Nobody enjoys an experience like this, but I'm sure everything will turn out all right and your pen will return to you in flawless condition.
Read more about me, my pens, photography & so on my little blog

#53 karmakoda

karmakoda

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,958 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 January 2013 - 17:12

Nakaya have done a good thing, taking the whole pen back for a fresh start. None of my pen accidents compare with the shock of this story.
Can't wait for the new photos, difficult to take with shaking hands. Two words: 1. careful 2. tripod

I wish you much happiness unwrapping your new pen again, and a lifetime of enjoyment from your beautiful Piccolo.