Photo

Got My Uncles Old Sheaffer Connoisseur, Need Help Cleaning/understanding.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Bobwayne17

Bobwayne17

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 19:03

Hey Everyone,

I finally got my first fountain pen! Sadly, I dont know how to clean it and it appears it has had an old cartridge in it for quite some time. It is from 1984.

Any tips or help you can give me for taking this apart and making it flow again?

#2 RMN

RMN

Museum Piece

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,378 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 December 2012 - 20:46

Hi and :W2FPN:

I have a Connaisseur myself and I consider it one of the best pens I own. So congratulations.

Cleaning a Connaisseur is basically not different from cleaning any cartridge/converter pen.

I think you would do best to buy a converter for your pen. The modern day converters will do perfectly. EDIT: If this is a very old pen you might need an older type (squeeze) converter.
This converter can be used for cleaning as well as for containing your ink. That is, if what you call the cartridge is not actually a converter. Is it all opaque plastic? Then it is a cartridge. If it has metal then it is probably a converter.

As you will not be able to get a new converter today (I guess) start by removing the cartridge, and then putting the section of your pen ( the part with the nib on it) in a glass of lukewarm water (say 25 dgr centigrade) and let it soak for some hours. Then rinse under the faucet and repeat the soaking.

When you have a converter push it in the section and start pulling water in through the nib. And empty again (flushing). Probably you will get a lot of old ink out that way. Keep repeating for some time till the water turns cleaner.
Then let it soak again with a full converter for a while. Then repeat the flushing.

When there is really a lot of dried ink the process may take some days. You could put a few drops of dish-washing soap in the water you use for flushing. Soak for a while with the soap in.

End by flushing with clear water.

If you get clear water out again after flushing the pens is likely clean. Then put the section nib down in a glass with some kitchen tissue in the bottom to get the water out Let it sit overnight.

Then you can put in a Sheaffer cartridge, or put some fountainpen ink in your converter.

Enjoy your Connaisseur.

D.ick

Edited by RMN, 26 December 2012 - 09:19.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation. :

#3 cuza

cuza

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 22:32

There is actually a lot of information on the web concerning the Connaisseur series from Sheaffer. The first model, an 810, was available in late 1986 and came with a "squeeze" converter and cartridges. [Note: not just any converter will work with your Connaisseur, It must be a Sheaffer. Again, there is info regarding Sheaffer converters online.] See www.Parkvillepen.com or www.sheaffertarga.com or www.peytonstreetpens.com

Soaking is the best approach as member RMN suggests. If you are lucky enough to have access to an ultrasonic cleaner... Voila!

Good luck.

cuza

#4 kpyeoman

kpyeoman

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 December 2012 - 23:36

If you don't have a converter for it, you can use a bulb syringe to push water through the feed and nib. You should be able to buy one at a drug store. They're not like regular syringes, but instead are used for flushing out ears. Works great!