Repurposed Materials For Fp Uses?

Harlequin

I originally posted this in the "reviews" forum, which was probably the wrong move (I plead newbie-ness as my defense!). So I am reposting it here, with the permission of the mods, of course. If that is not looked upon favorably, please feel free to take any appropriate action.

Not that I have any opens to actually put in a case or display box or anything, but I was wondering. I've seen a lot of them just browsing through the various posts here and got to thinking, has anyone made an impressive case out of purely repurposed or upcycled stuff? Nothing built for holding pens or things like pens, mind you, but more along the lines of (to throw out some quick and perhaps not even plausible examples) using an old violin case that is cut down for storing and displaying pens? Or a nice tackle box/sewing case with all the fold out shelves that's modified so the pens are secure and fit well? I hope those make sense enough to kind of show what I'm talking about...

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Harlequin

• jbb

• Snowie

• J.R.

Top Posters In This Topic

I use the old, glass flower-frogs to hold the pens on my desks. When arranged with colors (by my wife, not me) - they're sometimes attractive.

Then, I load a couple of pens, and use 'em, - then I forget which hole they were s'posed to be in, and then it's a month before she arranges them again. And when she does, I can't find the ones with ink, so I load a couple more, and then...(insert cycle).

J.R.

Lol. How many do you keep inked at once? I'm just starting with FPs and I'm wary to keep more than maybe 2 or 3 inked (not counting cartridge pens), b/c I don't want any to dry out on me.

Lol. How many do you keep inked at once? I'm just starting with FPs and I'm wary to keep more than maybe 2 or 3 inked (not counting cartridge pens), b/c I don't want any to dry out on me.

Well-l-l-l... since I've become afflicted with CRS, I hafta write everything down. So, I'm always reaching for a pen. Don't have many dry out on me - but I "think" there's about a dozen on my desks, at the moment.

I have since given it away to a pipe smoker but I used to use a pipe rack for a pen rack. The pipe rack had a glass jar with a wood top on one side. In that went various incidentals related to pens - cartridges, wipes etc. The rack itself held 5 pens.

I, too, have numerous flower frogs. I also have two clear lucite pipe racks to hold pens pens in my office (hard to find, but oh so cool). In addition, i have several Frankoma pottery toothbrush stands; they hold four pens each. In other news, someone on the FPN list kindly made me a pen case from an old cigar box (painted and decoupaged). In addition, my husband found an old camera or photography box - maybe 18" square; it is not in the room with me right now so I'm not sure of the size - that we plan to fill with pen trays and use for storage.

And one more thing - one day we found a couple of beautiful mustard jars (again, they aren't in front of me right now, but I think they are ironstone), that would be perfect to hold cartridges. Once he cleaned them up, they slipped into my husband's stash; I need to go look for them this evening.

In short, go hunting with an open mind and you might be surprised what you will find. Antique/flea markets are great sources of storage stuff!

Sharon in Indiana

Edited by sharonspens

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway

Well, that brings up a question in my mind: What is the best way to "store" or display your pens? I know that most people seem to keep them horizontally, but that I think is not recommended b/c of the ink being able to enter and dry out in the feed, if left for a period of non-use. Similarly, I don't know if storing a pen with the cap at the top or the cap at the bottom is better. I would imagine that between the two, it's best for the pen to be vertical with the cap (and as a result, the nib and feed) at the top. But can someone clarify, not just from personal preference, but from hopefully from like "manufacturer's recommendations" kind of info?

• 2 weeks later...

Well, that brings up a question in my mind: What is the best way to "store" or display your pens? I know that most people seem to keep them horizontally, but that I think is not recommended b/c of the ink being able to enter and dry out in the feed, if left for a period of non-use. Similarly, I don't know if storing a pen with the cap at the top or the cap at the bottom is better. I would imagine that between the two, it's best for the pen to be vertical with the cap (and as a result, the nib and feed) at the top. But can someone clarify, not just from personal preference, but from hopefully from like "manufacturer's recommendations" kind of info?

I actually have this very same question. I'm having terrible troubles with dry nibs if a pen sits for a while. This mainly happens for pens that I have at work over the weekend. I was thinking of trying to store them vertically or diagonally but not sure if that would be best. If I go that way I'm thinking of either a test tube rack or a pipe rack to store them. Any suggestions or better ways to store my pens so they don't end up dry on Mondays? :)

I actually have this very same question. I'm having terrible troubles with dry nibs if a pen sits for a while. This mainly happens for pens that I have at work over the weekend. I was thinking of trying to store them vertically or diagonally but not sure if that would be best. If I go that way I'm thinking of either a test tube rack or a pipe rack to store them. Any suggestions or better ways to store my pens so they don't end up dry on Mondays? :)

I like storing my pens horizontally. That aside, some pens dry out more quickly than others. My most impressive not-drying-out pens are my Cross Radiances... they can sit used for ages and still write. My Parker 51s seem to write after long periods of neglect.

Edited by jbb

ooh, I like the test tube rack idea, but it would have to be the right height, sometimes those can be a little too "tall". A few minor modifications like some repurposed foam on the bottom to help keep the pens a little more stable and it would be a great storage device. I wonder also about magnetic collars (for non metal bodied pens) on a knife rack kind of thing to keep then on- obviously, metal bodied pens should stick to it by themselves.

if using a cigar box and want them REALLY cheap, dont forget about craisglist, or check your local cigar shops. Casa De La Habana here in detroit has REALLY nice ones that I picked up for $3 each. CANNOT beat that.

Signature left blank per new rules...

if using a cigar box and want them REALLY cheap, dont forget about craisglist, or check your local cigar shops. Casa De La Habana here in detroit has REALLY nice ones that I picked up for $3 each. CANNOT beat that.

Thanks for the idea, I think I will head over to my local tobaco store and check out their cigar boxes. I didn't realize that they were so inexpensive. :)