J. Herbin Rouge Hematite 1670

mhphoto

The ink is interesting, but I don't get enough daily use out of it. Instead, it ends up crusting around the nib on my pen.

I may ink up a pen at Christmas to send out letters. Otherwise, I just don't use it enough. For some reason, I have two bottles. Looks like a lifetime+ supply.

You obviously don't do enough Christmas cards :D But I agree: this (the old formula) is the perfect ink for Christmas. I just filled my Vac 700 to remind me just how good it is.

I am no longer very active on FPN but feel free to message me. Or send me a postal letter!

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• Algester

• JonSzanto

• HalloweenHJB

My current sample portion is about done. I must have a new version cuz there aint no gold sheen like this! And I didn't even know....

So, my bottle (new formulation if people's descriptions are anything to go by: there's a visible, thin layer of gold sediment on the bottom after the bottle has been allowed to settle for a bit, rather than so much that it looks like there are two colours in the bottle) arrived a couple of days ago, and I've just filled a very wet flex pen with it.

I shook the living bejesus out of the bottle before filling, until there was nothing visible on the bottom at all, and the whole bottle was full of little bubbles. It's bought me better sheen than some with the new formulation have reported: but the sac is also, presumably, full of bubbles now, so it'll likely run out sooner than normal.

Anyway: pictures! The paper is Rhodia square (in both examples: just different sized booklets - and sorry, but I occasionally forget to follow the lines when I get excited), the pen is a Waterman 52 1/2 V.

Here it is wet, when the gold is REALLY gorgeous:

fpn_1382135682__rougehematitewet.jpg

And here's an example in my ink journal that's had an hour or so to dry.

fpn_1382135498__rougehematitedry.jpg

I'm actually very pleased with the results. I'd put off buying originally because I was uncomfortable using an ink with *that* much sediment in some of my pens, but I felt I could deal with the lesser amount in the new formulation. I'm delighted that the sheen's still pretty good (if not quite as magical as the original).

Christmas cards ahoy!

• 1 month later...

I really like the colour of this ink, but it crusted up my nib and it smudges days later. Even on Rhodia it smudges. I find it's nice to play with, but it's not an everyday ink.

It was love at first sight for me before I even bought my first pen. Ignoring all warnings, I got a sample and it's definitely "Buy a Whole Bottle" worthy! I may wait to see if they'd offer the older version, though.

"Ravens play with lost time."

• 4 months later...

I first saw this ink at a Seattle Pen Club meeting, and really liked it. The supply seemed to dry up (no pun intended) so I waited patiently for enough items to become available at the same time as the ink to give me free shipping. Last week all the stars lined up and Jet Pens had the ink and other items I wanted, so I ordered the ink. I filled a Lamy Safari with a 1.1 italic nib and looked in dismay as the ink came out a pinkish cherry red, I then found this review, with mention toward the end, of the ink being reformulated by J.Herbin... All I feel now is ripped off! Don't get me wrong here, the new formulation is nice enough. It's just not what I wanted and ordered!!

Wow, that looks awesome. Never seen anything like it before.

Hey, welcome.

Alas, there isn't anything like it - including the one with the same name in the same bottle.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 1 month later...

Just ordered a bottle through Amazon, and it arrived today --gold flecks and all. And yes, it did have a plastic shrink-wrap coating with "warning" stickers about using it with dip pens, and not letting it sit in a fountain pen for too long.

And it is a GREAT color. Brings tears to the eyes... :)

Indeed its lovely color, brought this one recently, but honestly I brought this for the bottle, its just simply looks good. Maybe will use it sometimes, but still have enough reds to choose, so it can remain safely as a decoration.

Indeed its lovely color, brought this one recently, but honestly I brought this for the bottle, its just simply looks good. Maybe will use it sometimes, but still have enough reds to choose, so it can remain safely as a decoration.

Well, in my humble opinion, you can buy one safely for show, and one for use! In the right pen --one with a generously wet output, the color combined with the gold sheen will have you staring at your own words and drawings more than may be good for your eyes... ;)

Could someone perhaps post another (more recent) writing example of this ink? I am eager to buying this ink because of the beautiful red colour combined with the gold sheen, but from all the more recent comments and videos, the gold sheen isn't as pronounced as it used to be.

Could someone perhaps post another (more recent) writing example of this ink? I am eager to buying this ink because of the beautiful red colour combined with the gold sheen, but from all the more recent comments and videos, the gold sheen isn't as pronounced as it used to be.

According to J. Herbin and their US distributor, the original formula is back, though I haven't gotten a new bottle to confirm this yet.

fpn_1451747045__img_1999-2.jpg

According to J. Herbin and their US distributor, the original formula is back, though I haven't gotten a new bottle to confirm this yet.

That's great to hear. I might be getting this ink mid June, so I'll try to post what I'm getting, if no one else is going to post beforehand. :)

This ink is definitely going on my wanted list, even if it's going to be one of those high-maintenance inks. Very pretty. Maybe I'll have to get out grandma's dip pen and play with it. :D

Don't be afraid. It's not *that* high maintenance...

Of course, I got the crappy RH that only shades greenish and has almost no gold, so maybe the stuff with more gold is a little more high maintenance. You just have to use normally it then clean the pen after. I've actually had a harder time rinsing some nothing special blues like DC Supershow out of a pen than the Rouge Hematite.

Awesome review! This ink is definitely going on my list for supplies when fall semester starts up!