#31 RMN

RMN

Museum Piece

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,409 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 December 2012 - 19:47

I've never heard of a captured converter pen that having problems with ink getting trapped in the converter. I assume that pens with a captured converter use something higher quality and more durable than a standard converter.

I have been wondering about that.

But my guess is producers just buy these units standard from Schmidt.

If you go to the Schmidt webside you can download their catalogue, with many complete sets. As a penmaker you just have to make a nice coat for these systems and you are ready to go.

But a pen like the CS Winston can be had with a standard C/C. So I guess the trapped converter is just standard, with just a system to operate the screw from behing instead of opening the pen.

Tha large Stipula converter is a whole different matter. This is a metal affair if I remember well. Perhaps WIMG can shed some light on that.

D.ick

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation. :

#32 BMG

BMG

Medium Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 20:13

FWIW, just stumbled across a 2007 review of the 1930 here in the FPN, and the reviewer had this to say about the C/C:

Quirk #2 -- the internal converter. This pen fills like a piston filler, but I don't think it is a real piston filler, I think it's just a converter that's permanently mounted inside the pen and actuated by turning the blind cap on the back end. The first clue is that when you turn the blind cap to fill the pen, it doesn't screw out and away from the body of the pen like my Pelikan or Omas piston fillers do -- the blind cap stays in place and merely rotates. This doesn't make much of a practical difference, in my mind. The second clue, however, does make a practical difference: the pen does not hold nearly as much ink as a true piston filler would. It holds about the same amount of ink you would expect to get into a pen with a converter. I am enough of a pen snob that I prefer real piston fillers to cartridge/converter filling pens. However, at least pens with removable converters can be more easily flushed out and offer the option of using a cartridge in a pinch (for example, when traveling or at a meeting outside the office). Being stuck with a captive internal converter, you get all of the disadvantages of a converter filler with none of the advantages. As I said, this is not really a flaw, in my view, but it is rather annoying. (For the record, Montegrappa's website suggests that the version of this pen with gold trim is a piston filler. I have not seen the gold trim version and prefer the look of the sterling trim to the gold; if given the choice, I think I might still choose the silver trim version with an internal converter to the gold trim version with a real piston filler.)

I've never used a C/C and so don't really have an opinion about them one way or the other. I use a converter with the Miya -- it screws in, BTW.
C’est en écrivant qu'on devient écrevisse.

#33 RMN

RMN

Museum Piece

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,409 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 December 2012 - 20:27

FWIW, just stumbled across a 2007 review of the 1930 here in the FPN, and the reviewer had this to say about the C/C:

I've never used a C/C and so don't really have an opinion about them one way or the other. I use a converter with the Miya -- it screws in, BTW.

Sorry, I do not understand. You have not used a C/C but have used a converter?

In my world a converter is part of C/C (= cartridges/converter) Where you can choose between the two. Apparently you just chose the converter. Or do I misinterprate your post?

D.ick

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation. :

#34 BMG

BMG

Medium Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 01:36

I'm sorry -- I meant what folks above are calling a captive internal converter.

Apologies for any confusion.

#35 Ghost Plane

Ghost Plane

Indescribable

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,353 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:00

They're pretty idiot proof [have to be since I use 'em! :ltcapd: ]. I've only had one leak and it was in a Krone, which has a lifetime warranty. Buy and enjoy. :thumbup:

#36 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,576 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 December 2012 - 10:24

here are pics of my 1930 extra

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time
Posted Image

#37 VaN GoGh

VaN GoGh

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 December 2012 - 13:26

here are pics of my 1930 extra

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Congratulations with you new pen. looks beautiful :thumbup: now I have to decide to buy the Green bamboo which I found for € 565

#38 Ghost Plane

Ghost Plane

Indescribable

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,353 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 December 2012 - 01:46

You should love it. :thumbup:

What no photo ever shows about the tortoise is the translucense of the color. :puddle:

#39 journalist

journalist

Dipped Only

• Member - Gold

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 January 2013 - 15:31

Miya: C/C
Extra: piston filler

Extra = flagship non-LE Montegrappa

Hi Eric

Is the Extra a real piston filler, or does it "merely" have a captive internal converter?

John

The Extra does indeed have a true piston filling system. I don't think any converter system could be considered "captive" or it wouldn't be a "converter."

#40 BMG

BMG

Medium Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 20:40

The Extra does indeed have a true piston filling system. I don't think any converter system could be considered "captive" or it wouldn't be a "converter."

According to the review I quote from above, it would seem to be a captive converter, as opposed to a "true" piston like Pelikan uses. I'm not claiming that one is better or worse than the other, whatever that might mean, just that it's not the same thing apparently.

#41 ArchiMark

ArchiMark

Pen Nut & Pretty Good Guy

• Member - Gold & Supporter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,125 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 January 2013 - 00:30

It's called a captive converter in the sense that it has a cartridge converter permanently installed.

In this situation can't be removed in order to put in a cartridge. Since it can't be removed, it is a 'captive of the pen'. Hence, the term 'captive converter' as opposed to the more common situation where the converter can be removed by opening up the pen.

While in this situation, it appears as if it has a piston filler mechanism, as you turn the blind cap the same as on pens with a piston filler, it has a different mechanism inside, the converter.

In the end, don't think filling mechanism type matters much, at least to me. Main thing for me is how does the pen write, how does it feel in the hand, and do I like the way it looks and feels to the touch.

Both the converter and piston filler mechanisms, both fill the pens with ink. Only real difference is that in some cases, one might hold a bit more ink than the other. There are examples of each type that are of larger and smaller capacities. So, no hard and fast rule about this.

Hope this clarifies......and of course YMMV......

:)
Digerati & FP Addict
Diplomat #055

*** Please check my for sale posts in Classifieds ***

#42 VaN GoGh

VaN GoGh

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:58