Montegrappa Miya And 1930 Extra

BMG

Does anyone know why the latter costs approximately twice what the former costs?

Just curious.

Écrire c’est tenter de savoir ce qu’on écrirait si on écrivait. – M. Duras

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BMG

• jar

• eric47

• ele

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think that there is a qualitative difference. Some pens get popular and, when they do, they're rarely discounted by dealers and resale prices are higher. I have a dark blue Miya and it's both beautiful and functional. I got mine used in the mid-$200s. I would not have found a 1930 Extra at anywhere near that price - at least not one in the turtle brown that I find rather fetching. Thus, I don't own one.

Miya: C/C

Extra: piston filler

Extra = flagship non-LE Montegrappa

Anyone becomes mannered if you think too much about what other people think. (Kim Gordon)

Thanks for your replies. I had thought that the piston would make the 1930 more expensive than the Miya, but not nearly 100% more expensive. The bigger nib I suppose would also increase the price. Is there possibly anything more?

I have a Miya. I got one when they first came out. There were *many* problems with it; it had to be sent in for repairs repeatedly and was finally replaced with a new one (which has the "1912" date on the cap top, the first one did not). This pen is very fine, probably the nicest one I own and certainly the best writer. When the 1930 came out, especially in that tortoise finish (@PatientType -- ahem, ahem), I thought I might consider getting one until I saw how expensive they were, and this got me wondering about how the two models differed.

To be honest, I prefer the shape of the Miya, but am sorely tempted by the piston *and* the tortoise celluloid (tho' the bamboo's mighty nice, too!). Personally, I just find the price a bit difficult to justify.

Thanks for your replies. I had thought that the piston would make the 1930 more expensive than the Miya, but not nearly 100% more expensive. The bigger nib I suppose would also increase the price. Is there possibly anything more?

I have a Miya. I got one when they first came out. There were *many* problems with it; it had to be sent in for repairs repeatedly and was finally replaced with a new one (which has the "1912" date on the cap top, the first one did not). This pen is very fine, probably the nicest one I own and certainly the best writer. When the 1930 came out, especially in that tortoise finish (@PatientType -- ahem, ahem), I thought I might consider getting one until I saw how expensive they were, and this got me wondering about how the two models differed.

To be honest, I prefer the shape of the Miya, but am sorely tempted by the piston *and* the tortoise celluloid (tho' the bamboo's mighty nice, too!). Personally, I just find the price a bit difficult to justify.

The section is also larger and so add in some more Sterling Silver.

Here is the Extra nib next to a Classica nib which is the same size nib as the Miya so you can see relative sizes.

http://www.fototime.com/FEB44F1A2041E05/large.jpg

and here is the Extra nib with some other large nib pens like the Pelikan 1o50 and the Montblanc 149.

http://www.fototime.com/E53C6F2D0482746/large.jpg

My Website

Thanks, jar, for the further explanation and illustrations. The 1930 is a beautiful pen!

Hi Eric

Is the Extra a real piston filler, or does it "merely" have a captive internal converter?

John

Edited by Mr Ink

Hi Eric

Is the Extra a real piston filler, or does it "merely" have a captive internal converter?

John

I never much understood what difference that would make although I can see a few reasons why a captive converter might be far preferable.

My Website

Hi Eric

I never much understood what difference that would make although I can see a few reasons why a captive converter might be far preferable.

John I'm not sure. I know there's more than one version of the internal mechanism on those pens since the capacity varies depending on production.

Like jar, I'm not sure how much a difference it would make since one could consider piston fillers that use internal liners (rather than having the ink and seal in direct contact with the inside of the barrel) as forms of captive converters. The New Paragon, many Stipulas either by name or for others (like some Tibaldis) for instance use inner liners. Of course there are the Stipula Etruria Convertibles, which have a big internal unit like a converter, albeit with much larger capacity.

I suppose it would matter with capacity if a pen is really just using a standard type of converter like the celluloid Montegrappa Classicas.

Anyone becomes mannered if you think too much about what other people think. (Kim Gordon)

If the trapped converter is just a Schmidt K5 or K6 that would matter a lot to me. In that case I would rather have a C/C option where I have the choice, and can also use other type of converters like the Schmidt K1 or K2.

I seem to have a constant quarrel with the plastic used in the K5-K6, because of trapped airbubbles. This may be caused by the fact that this type of plastic can get a lot of static electricity.

It was the reason I choose for the C/C option as a special feature on my Conway Stewart Winston.

The mammuth Stipula Etruria convertible piston would be a whole different matter. Because of the large diameter there is no problem with trapped bubbles to be expected.

If I know a "twist-filler" is a trapped converter I won't buy.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

One more thing...if I'm not mistaken, I think the Extra 1930 has a big ebonite feed behind that big nib.....not sure if the Miya has same or a plastic feed?

FP Addict & Pretty Nice Guy

The section is also larger and so add in some more Sterling Silver.

Here is the Extra nib next to a Classica nib which is the same size nib as the Miya so you can see relative sizes.

http://www.fototime.com/FEB44F1A2041E05/large.jpg

and here is the Extra nib with some other large nib pens like the Pelikan 1o50 and the Montblanc 149.

http://www.fototime.com/E53C6F2D0482746/large.jpg

best compliment for the photos .... which camera have you used ?????? it is so clean images ....

One more thing...if I'm not mistaken, I think the Extra 1930 has a big ebonite feed behind that big nib.....not sure if the Miya has same or a plastic feed?

Did some additional sniffing around and found that both the Miya and the 1930 have ebonite feeds.

Also, for the curious, found the 1930s on amazon for under $900...

I bought my 1930 extra in second hand today and it was overhauled by Montegrappa, paid 470€ for it. I will post pics and make a review of it as soon as I have the time.

Edited by georges zaslavsky

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

They're both c/c pens. The captive converter of the Extra is just what it is...a captive converter.

The Extra doesn't hold appreciably more ink than the Miya. I personally don't like the hump on the Miya as well since it's about where I like to hold a pen. 6 turns to unscrew the cap, lovely silver section as you've seen and I think the Extra is meant to be comparable to the MB 149. Have 4 of them and they're lovely, if not as flashy as the Miyas in color.

They're both c/c pens. The captive converter of the Extra is just what it is...a captive converter.

The first 'c' is 'c/c' is usually 'cartridge'. How do you easily use a cartridge in an Extra? The 'captive converter' in the Extra if that's what's in the current production models, itself has a piston.