#1 hharry

hharry

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:31

I'm looking for a jack of all trades. A notebook/journal for quick notetaking and maybe drawings bit combined with a weekplanner, a agenda. Preferably refillable in a nice and sturdy cover.

Is there a reasonable one out there? A bit like Staples Arc system but without the rings and better quality.

Who can point me in the right direction?

#2 mAnuscript69

mAnuscript69

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 December 2012 - 13:11

You're looking at Filofax, and maybe Midori Traveller's Notebook. The Pelle Journal is inspired by the Midori Notebook. With these you can customise the inserts to your liking.

#3 Charel29

Charel29

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 December 2012 - 14:16

you should look at X47 (x47.com or x17.com), you can buy planners, graph, lined or make your own.

#4 Linsolv

Linsolv

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 December 2012 - 18:25

Yes, the Arc system from Staples (or Circa from Levenger, or Rollabind's system, or Myndology's) are completely customizeable. As of right now, my notebook has a full 2013 planner (with a few extra days to finish out the year), 12 sheets of cornell-style dot-grid paper for taking notes for my Arabic class next semester (presumably, I will need more than 12 sheets, but since it's replaceable, I have 12 more sheets waiting in the wings, and the pdf sitting safely on my computer), and a few dozen standard notebook pages that came with it. Granted it may be a bit full now.

Edited by Linsolv, 18 December 2012 - 18:30.

#5 hharry

hharry

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 December 2012 - 18:26

How is the paper quality of aforementioned?

#6 chiaroscuro

chiaroscuro

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:40

The Delfonics Rollbahn 2013 sounds like a good option (they combine a planner section and the grid paper from the regular Rollbahns), but they have a certain "look" that you either appreciate or you don't. They're also hard to find, depending on where you are.

The Midori traveller's series that was already mentioned has FP friendly inserts (look for the ones labelled MD paper; I tried it today and it's alright) and is highly customizable, but again, they have a very definite aesthetic that you may or may not be into. The Midori can be used for years while the Rollbahn is not customizable.

There's also a company called Bound that makes custom notebooks where you can combine any kind of ruling or blank paper and many kinds of planner styles. The jury is still out on whether or not they're FP friendly, though.

#7 hharry

hharry

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 December 2012 - 17:45

Are there any European suppliers for the Midori? Still not very cheap tough. Thanks for the advice.

#8 hharry

hharry

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 December 2012 - 22:37

Are there any European suppliers for the Midori? Still not very cheap tough. Thanks for the advice.

Part of me thinks that it is weard that most systems cost such a bundle while it is such a simple question! A agenda annex notebook, that's all I want. Offcourse I understand the market but why should a leather cover cost over 100 dollar and why do they all look the same???

#9 bogiesan

bogiesan

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 December 2012 - 03:15

http://www.planneris...e-here.html?m=1

I have used the Franklin dayplanner for 20 years. These systems come in various sizes and are based on 6- and 7-ring binders, which can be really luxe. The paper is NOT pen-firnedly, we're neither in their demographic nor in their quality vision. I always a carry notebook that accepts my pens.
I ride a recumbent, I play go, I use Macintosh so of course I use a fountain pen.

#10 ObserveClosely

ObserveClosely

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 18:11

For a very long list of European retailers, go to this webpage ---> http://www.travelers-notebook.com/
Click on "Retailers".

It is not "cheap" because it's built to last decades. But it is tough!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

#11 JOBPM

JOBPM

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:05

If you're a little adventurous you can make your own Midori/Pelle style journal cover relatively cheaply and easily. I made one to fit three small Banditapple Carnet notebooks and it sits in my back pocket everyday.

#12 Letsdisinfect

Letsdisinfect

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 December 2012 - 23:39

Yes, the Arc system from Staples (or Circa from Levenger, or Rollabind's system, or Myndology's) are completely customizeable. As of right now, my notebook has a full 2013 planner (with a few extra days to finish out the year), 12 sheets of cornell-style dot-grid paper for taking notes for my Arabic class next semester (presumably, I will need more than 12 sheets, but since it's replaceable, I have 12 more sheets waiting in the wings, and the pdf sitting safely on my computer), and a few dozen standard notebook pages that came with it. Granted it may be a bit full now.

Could you point me in the direction of that .pdf? That sounds like the paper format I've been searching for!

#13 Letsdisinfect

Letsdisinfect

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 December 2012 - 23:40

Could you point me in the direction of that .pdf? That sounds like the paper format I've been searching for!

#14 gosudar

gosudar

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 January 2013 - 14:08

Letsdisifect - hi:

I think you should be able to find the pdf. you're looking for at incompetech.com - I think under 'notes' in one of the graph-paper sections.

Hope that is what you're after,

G

#15 awilliamson

awilliamson

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:37

I've got an A5 and A4 Brown leather ARC, and I think they are really good value and surprisingly good quality for the money and very versatile with the addins etc... But they certainly do not have a "special" feel.
I've also got a Midori Travellers Notebook and that does have a "special" feel. I always have 2 Midori pads in there, a lined for journals and a blank for sketching. I'm thinking about making my own inserts for it, so I can use my own favourite paper, even though the Midori paper is good.

#16 Anne-Sophie

Anne-Sophie

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:02

You can use any A5 binder available where you are then fill it with Clairefontaine paper from wirebound notepads (5-1/4" x 8-1/4")

Then use D.I .Y Planner.com to print out your own calendar on fountain pen friendly printer paper.

This way you have a fountain pen friendly paper planner and a journal all in one!
Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

#17 countrydirt

countrydirt

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 January 2013 - 13:13

http://www.plannerisms.com/2012/11/2013-plannerisms-planners-are-here.html?m=1I have used the Franklin dayplanner for 20 years. These systems come in various sizes and are based on 6- and 7-ring binders, which can be really luxe. The paper is NOT pen-firnedly, we're neither in their demographic nor in their quality vision. I always a carry notebook that accepts my pens.

I've used Franklin for quite a few years as well. I bought the Monticello refill for 2013 and was surprised that it seems to be friendly to fountain pens - granted I am using an EF Lamy nib and Scribal Workshop ink.

Edited by countrydirt, 03 January 2013 - 13:14.

#18 PaperDarts

PaperDarts

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 January 2013 - 20:14

I've used the Succes (that's the way it's spelled) system from the Netherlands (www.succes.com) for many years. It's a ring binder system that comes in several sizes and can be customized with different calendar styles (month/day/week), address section, financial records, notes section - really, anything you can fit into the binder, and you can name your own sections with the blank divider tabs provided. You buy a refill each year, as well as any specialty paper you want - coloured, blank, lined, grid, fold-out for larger diagrams or drawings, etc.
I find the Succes paper to be FP friendly with fairly fine nibs - broader nibs tend to bleed through but not always - depends on the ink.
Great topic for the beginning of a new year!
"Life would split asunder without letters." Virginia Woolf

#19 rpmoyer100

rpmoyer100

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:12

Always looking for a good multipurpose journal. the Midori looks great. I'm always amazed to find things mentioned here I've never seen!