#91 kde

kde

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 September 2013 - 14:56

I'm wondering what people are doing to get so much bleed-through. My larges hold up to most of the inks I've used, mostly through my Lamy Safari F and occasionally other pens. I can write on the backs of most pages. Yeah, it could be better, but it's rarely an issue. The Master has better paper than that.

I don't mind show through and actually prefer a hint of it, but my Large 1917 bled like crazy with a Lamy M with Lamy Blue-Black. Now I have a million different inks and different pens to try on it, so I should give it another chance. When I first started using it it reminded me of slightly better Moleskine paper (again, in the Large) so I wasn't too impressed. The Large has 80g paper and the Master has 100g.

Pelikan M1000 (Green Stripe), Pelikan M205 EF (White), Sheaffer Valor (M), Sailor Sapporo (Clear), TWSBI 580 EF, 1948 Parker 51 Vac F, Early 1950s Esterbrook J F, Jinhao x750 M, Eyedropper Ahab 

#92 cellmatrix

cellmatrix

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 September 2013 - 16:14

I don't mind show through and actually prefer a hint of it

Yes a bit of show through is ok with me too, its just bleedthrough which I do not like

Edited by cellmatrix, 21 September 2013 - 16:15.

#93 leomitch

leomitch

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 September 2013 - 17:29

Agreed. I don't think anyone likes bleedthrough very much. It used to be that bleedthrough was a problem, but in my experience the newer note-books don't have the problem anymore. I have to think that the negative examples we are seeing here are  examples of old stock. I am sure there are some inventories that still contain the Master 1917's with the poorer quality paper. Perhaps if one buys from a dealer that sells great quantities of stuff those inventories will no longer exist.

Having said that, I know there are ink and nib  combinations that act very aggressively on any paper, so one has to experiment with various combos  on one of the back pages that are perforated for tearing out easily. This way you can save messing up your note-book. Or better still, leave the page there so you can check in the future to see which combinations were no-no's.

Cheers

Leo

Leo James Mitchell

#94 kde

kde

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 September 2013 - 17:14

Agreed. I don't think anyone likes bleedthrough very much. It used to be that bleedthrough was a problem, but in my experience the newer note-books don't have the problem anymore. I have to think that the negative examples we are seeing here are  examples of old stock. I am sure there are some inventories that still contain the Master 1917's with the poorer quality paper. Perhaps if one buys from a dealer that sells great quantities of stuff those inventories will no longer exist.

Having said that, I know there are ink and nib  combinations that act very aggressively on any paper, so one has to experiment with various combos  on one of the back pages that are perforated for tearing out easily. This way you can save messing up your note-book. Or better still, leave the page there so you can check in the future to see which combinations were no-no's.

Cheers

Leo

I really like the organization of Leuchtturm notebooks which are, in my opinion, the best of the best for that feature. If the paper has really improved then I'll buy one, since that would make it the best all-around notebook I think. It would be perfect for me if they made a calendar version, too. I could have one for notes the other as my calendar. I did that for one semester with Moleskines (and ballpoints, obviously) and really liked the results.

Pelikan M1000 (Green Stripe), Pelikan M205 EF (White), Sheaffer Valor (M), Sailor Sapporo (Clear), TWSBI 580 EF, 1948 Parker 51 Vac F, Early 1950s Esterbrook J F, Jinhao x750 M, Eyedropper Ahab 

#95 plc123

plc123

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 00:08

@kde - I'm not sure how you use your calendar, but I thought this might be of help for setting up your own calendar / to do list.

http://www.bulletjournal.com/

hope this helps!

p

#96 leomitch

leomitch

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 September 2013 - 12:12

I really like the organization of Leuchtturm notebooks which are, in my opinion, the best of the best for that feature. If the paper has really improved then I'll buy one, since that would make it the best all-around notebook I think. It would be perfect for me if they made a calendar version, too. I could have one for notes the other as my calendar. I did that for one semester with Moleskines (and ballpoints, obviously) and really liked the results.

If you are going to try one, my advice would be to get one from Goulets since they have a big turnover in their stock and you will be unlikely to end up with one of the older versions with poorer quality paper. Just my two cents worth. :-)

Cheers

Leo

Edited by leomitch, 23 September 2013 - 12:13.

Leo James Mitchell

#97 kde

kde

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 September 2013 - 01:31

@kde - I'm not sure how you use your calendar, but I thought this might be of help for setting up your own calendar / to do list.

http://www.bulletjournal.com/

hope this helps!

p

That is very cool! Thanks for the recommendation! I'm going to give this system a real look over the weekend. I'm a sucker for A5 notebooks so this system in an Apica A5 would be perfect! 

If you are going to try one, my advice would be to get one from Goulets since they have a big turnover in their stock and you will be unlikely to end up with one of the older versions with poorer quality paper. Just my two cents worth. :-)

Cheers

Leo

Good tip, thanks ! I'll keep that in mind. Now for payday to come by!