Why I Switched To Leuchtturm Master 1917 Notebook

leomitch

I like Leuchtturm a lot - better paper quality than Moleskine, not as good as Clairefontaine but good enough for fountain pen use and less expensive than Clairefontaine. It also has a larger paper size than Moleskine (which I prefer) numbered pages (very handy) and an index. It's my go-to brand for journals, though I also get Clairefontaine 1951 notebooks as well, depending on the purpose for which I need them.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• leomitch

• plc123

• Kate10

• NativeTxn

After despairing that I would have to make my own journals in the future, this post gives me hope that Leuchtturm might work for me! Thanks for sharing!

I just got the "Large" Hardcover Notebook. While the "fit and finish" of the notebook is great - nice cover, pocket in the back is handy, labels are great, etc. - the paper is not particularly good at preventing showthrough. In fact, the showthrough is probably the worst of any of the "nice" papers I have tried (Rhodia, Black n' Red, Apica premium and "regular", Kokuyo Hi Grade and regular, HP Laserjet 24 lb.).

I wasn't necessarily surprised that there was showthrough with a couple of Pilot 78G Broad nibs (one with Noodler's BBK and one with Diamine Sherwood Green), but I was definitely surprised at the noticeable showthrough with a couple of Pilot 78G Fine nibs (one with J. Herbin Perle Noire and one with Noodler's BBK).

Also, with the Pilot fine with J Herbin, the paper didn't seem to want to take some of the ink. There was even a bit of bleedthrough with my Lamy Safar EF with PR DC Supershow Blue as well as a touch of bleedthrough from the Esterbrook J with a 9556 fine nib and Diamine Sherwood Green. Also, there wasn't really any "feathering" in the normal sense, but I did notice that if the ink touched certain fibers in the paper, that it would suck up some of the ink and make it look like there was feathering.

IMO, the showthrough and other "issues" don't make it unusable, but it is very noticeable and annoying at times. I will use it, as it wasn't exactly an inexpensive journal; however, unless I can find a more suitable pen/ink combo for it, then I will probably not be using it for its originally intended purpose.

Where are they sold?

I'd also like to add Vickery which has a decent selection available, and is the only place I've found Leuchtturm planners. They also have a nice selection of other FP friendly notebooks and journals. Great to do business with as well, quick shipping, good customer service and free shipping after $75.

Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.

It might be just me, but I actually like some show through..Somehow it adds more character to a blank page as I'm writing.

+1 Same here.

I love my A5 1917, and even bought a Renaissance Art cover for it. It's the one I take with me even if I don't take my bag, and is my daily journal.

One thing I don't like is that the size of the A5 and the line spacing make it less than approachable for "drafting," where I need more room. But that's why I have others, and the A4 size seems even better than most.

Paper quality in Leuchtturm is a non-issue for me, and I write with wet inks and (now) a Pelikan 640 with a 1.1mm italic nib. The ghosting I see even with that is minimal.

But in general I might agree that some light ghosting is nice.

I enjoy my leuchtturm pocket notebook. In my opinion, the Rhodia can be too slick sometimes. It's good to be able to feel the paper a little bit. I don't get any bleedthrough, but as a pocket notebook for jotting things down, I only really use fine or at most medium tipped pens. I can see, if I really look, some showthrough. But as I'm not philosophically opposed to the very existence of showthrough it doesn't bother me. It's not bad showthrough in my opinion. You can see that the other side of the paper is written on, but it doesn't prevent me from writing on the other side.

http://stubblefield.me Inks Available for Sample Exchange: Noodler's Black, Blue Black, Apache Sunset, Private Reserve Black Cherry, Sherwood Green, Tanzanite, Velvet Black, De Atramentis Aubergine, J. Herbin Lie de The, 1670 Rouge Hematite, Bleu Ocean, Lamy Turquoise, Rohrer & Klingner Salix, Sheaffer Skrip Blue-Black, OS Red Rubber Ball, Parker Quink Blue (India version)

• 2 weeks later...

After despairing that I would have to make my own journals in the future, this post gives me hope that Leuchtturm might work for me! Thanks for sharing!

Maybe I just got a bad batch of paper, but my blank Master is unusable due to show-through, bleed-through, soak-through with several different pen/ink combinations. Great disappointment because I love the design and features of the notebook itself. So... I think I'm going to have a pad of my latest favorite paper made up and somehow mount it in the Master binding. Wish me luck.

I used my large journal that I mentioned in a previous post, and I am much more impressed with it than when I was just testing ink/pen combos on pages pulled out from the back. There is definitely some showthrough, but for me, it was not so bad that it is distracting or makes things unreadable or the paper unusable. There is no bleedthrough and no feathering.

I am currently using a Pilot 78G with a fine nib and Noodler's Bad Belted Kingfisher ink. It seems to actually be a pretty good combo.

So, now I have decided that the paper is definitely functional and quite usable for my needs. And I really like everything else about the notebook - the cover, the included labels (though I haven't actually used them yet), the back pocket, elastic closure, etc.

So, while originally I was worried that it might not be usable for my intended purpose, I think that it is now at least back in the running.

Leuchtturm is still my personal favorite. I do think the paper has changed over the last year/year and a half. I use a wet writing Olympio with Registrar's ink almost daily and hardly ever see any show-through. For me, it works beautifully. Especially in combination with all the things already mentioned.

"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special."-Jim Valvano

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem."-Ronald Reagan

I'm looking forward to a Leuchtturm Notebook, the big one as shown in the review.

Since I can't find this brands for sale here in Brazil I'll have to import.

As a friend told somewhere above I prefer to support a family business so Goulet's store appears to be a very nice choice.

As always... Thanks for the review! Very well done.

-kemuri

To the OP: Thank you for starting this thread! I had given up on Moleskine for journaling, and then my Clairefontaine(?) sketch book was discontinued.

Leuchtteurm gives me hope because they have a wonderful dot grid format, and the paper is lovely to write on. I like the show through! AND they numbered the pages and ideas can be indexed. Brilliant! I have had mine for a whole two days, and I think the notebook is awesome! I am wondering if I should order a box in case they decide to discontinue these one day...

While I prefer my Rhodia webbie for journaling, I find the Leuchtturm Master Dot great for note taking/research. The large pages allow for proofs/thoughts to spread across fewer sheets making for more readable information, while the slightly absorbent nature of the pages reduces the chance of smearing. Even with a 1.5mm nib, I don't have much of a problem with bleed through, it's pretty rare for me actually and the show through that does occur doesn't bother me and never competes with anything written on the page. There is some spread, which I could do with out, but it isn't bad. The numbered pages and index are also very helpful.

I also prefer the webbie for journaling but the organizational features of the Leuchtturm make it a natural for many other tasks. I use the smaller size notebbok as a medical journal, writing down questions to ask my doctor before I see him and then recording his responses and suggestions when in the office. Since I find it easier to write with a bp while in the doctor's office I avoid the bleed through/feathering issues and take advantage of the page numbering/table of contents to kep track of my info. I find FPs don't work well in every venue and the 1917's paper is glorious with a bp or mechanical pencil. vinper

I'm looking forward to a Leuchtturm Notebook, the big one as shown in the review.

Since I can't find this brands for sale here in Brazil I'll have to import.

As a friend told somewhere above I prefer to support a family business so Goulet's store appears to be a very nice choice.

As always... Thanks for the review! Very well done.

-kemuri

My pleasure! I just ordered a new one from Goulet's. This one instead having ruled pages, has dots to guide your writing.

Cheers

Leo

Leo James Mitchell

Two places that I know of are Goulet Pens (http://www.gouletpens.com/Leuchtturm1917_s/1320.htm) and Amazon.com. I prefer Goulet's because it's organized by size, color, and so forth. Plus, I prefer supporting a family business, and I'd like them to keep stocking the Leuchtturm line.

For the Brits here, my local Rymans has started stocking them - I haven't taken the plunge yet but I'm even more tempted now after reading this thread....... ;)

http://www.aysedasi.co.uk

She turned me into a newt.......

Thank you for posting - I've just ordered one :)

You are very welcome Kate. Please let us know if the note-book meets your expectations.

Best regards

Leo

Leo James Mitchell

I also prefer the webbie for journaling but the organizational features of the Leuchtturm make it a natural for many other tasks. I use the smaller size notebbok as a medical journal, writing down questions to ask my doctor before I see him and then recording his responses and suggestions when in the office. Since I find it easier to write with a bp while in the doctor's office I avoid the bleed through/feathering issues and take advantage of the page numbering/table of contents to kep track of my info. I find FPs don't work well in every venue and the 1917's paper is glorious with a bp or mechanical pencil. vinper

You are quite right! I just did some writing with a BB pen and a pencil and this paper is super for using those writing tools. Thanks for the heads up. I get so used to thinking in terms of FP that it didn't dawn on me to try the others. This makes it an all-around note-book for almost anyone.

Cheers

Leo

Leo James Mitchell

My new Leuchtturm 1917 Master Notebook arrived yesterday and it doesn't disappoint. I'm very pleased with it, I can very much see this being my preferred notebook going forwards. The table of contents at the beginning of each book, combined with the quality of the paper makes this notebook a winner for me.