Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 December 2012 - 06:43

Why I switched to Leuchtturm Master 1917 Notebook
Posted Image

I have been through the jungle of note-books and journals seeking the One. I have found it, at least to my satisfaction. Here are the reasons:
Posted Image

Lots of pages 233, that is both sides of 116 pages.
The paper is very good and friendly to fountain pens and most inks. No feathering these old eyes could discern and little if any bleed through. Broad or stub nibs using Diamine Syrah and Yama Budo do have some bleeding, but nothing enough to stop me from writing on the back of a page. There is shadowing but again it presents no problem.You can see the bleed through in this picture caused by Yama Budo ink on a stub nib...hardly a problem.
Posted Image

The space between ruled lines is 7mm as opposed to 5mm on my Quo Vadis journals. The lines are feint and so are unobtrusive.
Generous A4 oversized pages.
The paper is a not overly bright white and is smooth without being slippery. It is a touch absorbent and so the ink tends to dry a little faster. These are positive features in my view.
Numbered pages.
A Table of contents.
A date in the upper right hand corner.
A spot for a title and/or sub-title.
A handy margin which is good for annotating. The margin is on the right of the right hand pages and on the left on the other.
A sturdy and very handy storage pocket on the inside back cover.
Posted Image

Stickers are supplied for titling the notebook cover and spine.
There is the usual marker ribbon and elastic closure.
The note-book is bound very securely.
Very nice faux-leather covers...sturdy too.
The price is right for what you get.
Easily available at my and practically everyone else's favourite pen and ink store Goulet Pens.

If you have been searching for a great journal to write your memoirs as I am or other important writings, look no further. And your cat will like it too! ;)

Cheers
Leo
Leo James Mitchell

#2 mAnuscript69

mAnuscript69

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:18

Great review! I really enjoy Leuchtturm notebooks in A6 and A5. Good price, great features, dots, and feint ruling. I really like how Leuchtturm rulings are really feint, especially the dots. I find Rhodia dots to be too big and bold. Much prefer Leuchtturm dots.

#3 inkypete

inkypete

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,660 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:35

Nice notebooks, but the show through and bleed are deal breakers for me.
Posted Image

#4 Jamesbmorley

Jamesbmorley

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:41

Great review and handwriting Leo. I loved my a6 version but may be a while before I can spend that much on a notebook again - even though you do get absolute quality for the money. Enjoy yours?
With thanks

J. B. Morley

#5 leomitch

leomitch

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:47

Great review! I really enjoy Leuchtturm notebooks in A6 and A5. Good price, great features, dots, and feint ruling. I really like how Leuchtturm rulings are really feint, especially the dots. I find Rhodia dots to be too big and bold. Much prefer Leuchtturm dots.

Thanks for stopping by and reading the post mate. Certainly the feint lines and dots are really one of the advantages of these notebooks.
All the best mAnuscript

Leo
Leo James Mitchell

#6 leomitch

leomitch

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:55

Chacune a son goûte as the French like to say. For me that little bit doesn't make a lot of difference.
It seems their notebooks are gaining in popularity and I think they will raise the quality of their paper up a notch or two before long. Right now it suits me and maybe later it will suit you too! :thumbup:
Best regards mate
Leo
Leo James Mitchell

#7 leomitch

leomitch

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:59

Great review and handwriting Leo. I loved my a6 version but may be a while before I can spend that much on a notebook again - even though you do get absolute quality for the money. Enjoy yours?

Hi James
Thanks for the kind words! It was good of you to drop by and I hope you can get a couple of these in the near future. Maybe Santa will bring one for Christmas! ;) BTW, have a Merry Christmas mate!

Very best regards
Leo
Leo James Mitchell

#8 GreenVelvet

GreenVelvet

The Missive Maven

• Member - Gold

• 1,943 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 14:25

Ditto. I bought one, and love everything about it but that. I rarely use it now, because I consider only the fronts of the pages useable due to the show-through.

If they upgrade to a better quality paper in the future, then I'll definitely try one out again.

#9 torstar

torstar

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,420 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 December 2012 - 14:55

Great paper. Great review.

Best is the catbeast overseeing the project.

#10 leomitch

leomitch

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 December 2012 - 16:36

Great paper. Great review.

Best is the catbeast overseeing the project.

Thanks mate! Much appreciated by me and by Stella my cat! :thumbup:

Leo
Leo James Mitchell

#11 leomitch

leomitch

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 December 2012 - 16:38

Ditto. I bought one, and love everything about it but that. I rarely use it now, because I consider only the fronts of the pages useable due to the show-through.

If they upgrade to a better quality paper in the future, then I'll definitely try one out again.

When did you buy your note-book. I bought mine recently and I believe they upgraded the paper not so long ago.
If you look at the shot I posted, is there too much show-through there?

Best regards
Leo
Leo James Mitchell

#12 GreenVelvet

GreenVelvet

The Missive Maven

• Member - Gold

• 1,943 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 18:08

When did you buy your note-book. I bought mine recently and I believe they upgraded the paper not so long ago.

Best regards
Leo

I bought mine in April 2011. And goodness, yes, your show-through pictured is way too much! Looks like the same as mine. If I can see writing on the other side, it's too much in my book. Too many other excellent journals out there that have no show-through for me to be willing to put up with it.

On another note, I agree with torstar that the cat overseeing the review was a lovely bonus. :thumbup:

#13 mAnuscript69

mAnuscript69

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 December 2012 - 18:15

It might be just me, but I actually like some show through..Somehow it adds more character to a blank page as I'm writing.

#14 leomitch

leomitch

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 December 2012 - 19:52

Best regards
Leo

I bought mine in April 2011. And goodness, yes, your show-through pictured is way too much! Looks like the same as mine. If I can see writing on the other side, it's too much in my book. Too many other excellent journals out there that have no show-through for me to be willing to put up with it.

On another note, I agree with torstar that the cat overseeing the review was a lovely bonus. :thumbup:

I am happy you like Stella looking at my notes. She loves to get up and insinuate herself between my writing arm and the book, that way I have to stop writing and do important things...like pay attention to her. I have had cats since I was 4 in the 1939 and they are all the same!!!

Best regards
Leo
;)

Edited by leomitch, 18 December 2012 - 19:53.

Leo James Mitchell

#15 leomitch

leomitch

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 December 2012 - 19:55

It might be just me, but I actually like some show through..Somehow it adds more character to a blank page as I'm writing.

I kind of like it too just like you mate. Maybe it is us who are strange eh! LOL!

Very best regards

Leo
Leo James Mitchell

#16 lockesly

lockesly

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 June 2013 - 02:48

Where are they sold?

#17 N2theBreach

N2theBreach

Still learning

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 June 2013 - 03:19

Two places that I know of are Goulet Pens (http://www.gouletpen...1917_s/1320.htm) and Amazon.com. I prefer Goulet's because it's organized by size, color, and so forth. Plus, I prefer supporting a family business, and I'd like them to keep stocking the Leuchtturm line.

#18 Newjelan

Newjelan

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold & Supporter

• 1,134 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 June 2013 - 05:05

I bought the A4 Master (Dots) last August, because I loved the A5 ones so much. Even though the paper was heavier, I found I had heaps of feathering and bleed through with the Master and ended up tossing it. I was really disappointed because they are perfect for work.

#19 adamedwards

adamedwards

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 June 2013 - 13:35

These are my notebooks of choice now, and have been for just over a year.  I knw that there have been some issues over consistency with quality of paper.  The ink I have had problems with is Diamine Syrah, it doesn't exactly bleed through but it does shadow - which is a shame as the colour of the ink looks great against the cream paper

#20 enchiridion

enchiridion

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 June 2013 - 19:28

Great review. After years of Moleskines and Rhodia's I got a teneo recently and it is German but I can't find any references except Boesner shops.

#21 Ecriveur

Ecriveur

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 June 2013 - 02:18

I like Leuchtturm a lot - better paper quality than Moleskine, not as good as Clairefontaine but good enough for fountain pen use and less expensive than Clairefontaine. It also has a larger paper size than Moleskine (which I prefer) numbered pages (very handy) and an index.  It's my go-to brand for journals, though I also get Clairefontaine 1951 notebooks as well, depending on the purpose for which I need them.

#22 plc123

plc123

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 05:47

After despairing that I would have to make my own journals in the future, this post gives me hope that Leuchtturm might work for me! Thanks for sharing!

#23 NativeTxn

NativeTxn

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 June 2013 - 20:10

I just got the "Large" Hardcover Notebook. While the "fit and finish" of the notebook is great - nice cover, pocket in the back is handy, labels are great, etc. - the paper is not particularly good at preventing showthrough. In fact, the showthrough is probably the worst of any of the "nice" papers I have tried (Rhodia, Black n' Red, Apica premium and "regular", Kokuyo Hi Grade and regular, HP Laserjet 24 lb.).

I wasn't necessarily surprised that there was showthrough with a couple of Pilot 78G Broad nibs (one with Noodler's BBK and one with Diamine Sherwood Green), but I was definitely surprised at the noticeable showthrough with a couple of Pilot 78G Fine nibs (one with J. Herbin Perle Noire and one with Noodler's BBK).

Also, with the Pilot fine with J Herbin, the paper didn't seem to want to take some of the ink. There was even a bit of bleedthrough with my Lamy Safar EF with PR DC Supershow Blue as well as a touch of bleedthrough from the Esterbrook J with a 9556 fine nib and Diamine Sherwood Green. Also, there wasn't really any "feathering" in the normal sense, but I did notice that if the ink touched certain fibers in the paper, that it would suck up some of the ink and make it look like there was feathering.

IMO, the showthrough and other "issues" don't make it unusable, but it is very noticeable and annoying at times. I will use it, as it wasn't exactly an inexpensive journal; however, unless I can find a more suitable pen/ink combo for it, then I will probably not be using it for its originally intended purpose.

#24 K. Cakes

K. Cakes

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 21:12

Where are they sold?

I'd also like to add Vickery which has a decent selection available, and is the only place I've found Leuchtturm planners.  They also have a nice selection of other FP friendly notebooks and journals.  Great to do business with as well, quick shipping, good customer service and free shipping after $75.

Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.

#25 TSherbs

TSherbs

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 819 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 23:19

+1 Same here.

#26 johnmetta

johnmetta

Builder of the digital, lover of the analog

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 June 2013 - 22:49

I love my A5 1917, and even bought a Renaissance Art cover for it. It's the one I take with me even if I don't take my bag, and is my daily journal.

One thing I don't like is that the size of the A5 and the line spacing make it less than approachable for "drafting," where I need more room. But that's why I have others, and the A4 size seems even better than most.

Paper quality in Leuchtturm is a non-issue for me, and I write with wet inks and (now) a Pelikan 640 with a 1.1mm italic nib. The ghosting I see even with that is minimal.

But in general I might agree that some light ghosting is nice.

#27 nomadhacker

nomadhacker

Abyss of Useless Information

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:04

I enjoy my leuchtturm pocket notebook.  In my opinion, the Rhodia can be too slick sometimes.  It's good to be able to feel the paper a little bit.  I don't get any bleedthrough, but as a pocket notebook for jotting things down, I only really use fine or at most medium tipped pens.  I can see, if I really look, some showthrough.  But as I'm not philosophically opposed to the very existence of showthrough it doesn't bother me.  It's not bad showthrough in my opinion.  You can see that the other side of the paper is written on, but it doesn't prevent me from writing on the other side.

http://stubblefield.me Inks Available for Sample Exchange: Noodler's Blue Black, Apache Sunset, Private Reserve Black Cherry, Sherwood Green, Tanzanite, Velvet Black, De Atramentis Aubergine, J. Herbin Lie de The, 1670 Rouge Hematite, Bleu Ocean, Lamy Turquoise, Rohrer & Klingner Salix, Sheaffer Skrip Blue-Black, Organics Studio Foggy Bottom, Red Rubber Ball, Parker Quink Blue (India version)

#28 HDRoot

HDRoot

Dr. Moronica

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 July 2013 - 02:25

After despairing that I would have to make my own journals in the future, this post gives me hope that Leuchtturm might work for me! Thanks for sharing!

Maybe I just got a bad batch of paper, but my blank Master is unusable due to show-through, bleed-through, soak-through with several different pen/ink combinations. Great disappointment because I love the design and features of the notebook itself. So... I think I'm going to have a pad of my latest favorite paper made up and somehow mount it in the Master binding. Wish me luck.

#29 NativeTxn

NativeTxn

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 July 2013 - 05:42

I used my large journal that I mentioned in a previous post, and I am much more impressed with it than when I was just testing ink/pen combos on pages pulled out from the back. There is definitely some showthrough, but for me, it was not so bad that it is distracting or makes things unreadable or the paper unusable. There is no bleedthrough and no feathering.

I am currently using a Pilot 78G with a fine nib and Noodler's Bad Belted Kingfisher ink. It seems to actually be a pretty good combo.

So, now I have decided that the paper is definitely functional and quite usable for my needs. And I really like everything else about the notebook - the cover, the included labels (though I haven't actually used them yet), the back pocket, elastic closure, etc.

So, while originally I was worried that it might not be usable for my intended purpose, I think that it is now at least back in the running.

#30 thedeacon

thedeacon

We are the people our parents warned us about...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 July 2013 - 17:06

Leuchtturm is still my personal favorite.  I do think the paper has changed over the last year/year and a half.  I use a wet writing Olympio with Registrar's ink almost daily and hardly ever see any show-through.  For me, it works beautifully.  Especially in combination with all the things already mentioned.

"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special."-Jim Valvano