#1 blackcat99

blackcat99

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 December 2012 - 14:01

First time I have done a review so not sure if this covers everything - anyone want me to try something with this paper please let me know !

These are the standard B5 notebooks from Muji (not the charcoal ones)

I found them to have very nice paper in, with a bit of showthrough - that would cause a few problems if you wanted to write on the other side of the page, but not impossible

First picture is of several fountain pens writing on the page:

Posted Image

2nd picture is of the show through:

Posted Image

Picture of the actual books:

Posted Image

And lastly a cover you can purchase in Muji to go over the book:

Posted Image

Cheers

#2 mm1624124

mm1624124

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 19:22

Thank you! :bunny01:

I love these unassuming notebooks. Except for a peel-off sticker on the back of the notebook, it is completely autonomous. There is nothing fancy about cover or paper as far as aesthetics, but the paper is VERY good for fountain pens. I attribute the show through due to the paper weight. The lines on the paper are uniformly spaced so that up/down left/right is up to the user--a symmetry that appeals to me.

Is the notebook in your review saddle stitched?

#3 blackcat99

blackcat99

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 December 2012 - 13:33

Thank you! :bunny01:

I love these unassuming notebooks. Except for a peel-off sticker on the back of the notebook, it is completely autonomous. There is nothing fancy about cover or paper as far as aesthetics, but the paper is VERY good for fountain pens. I attribute the show through due to the paper weight. The lines on the paper are uniformly spaced so that up/down left/right is up to the user--a symmetry that appeals to me.

Is the notebook in your review saddle stitched?

#

Hi, yes these are saddle stitched .....

#4 WillSW

WillSW

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 22:43

I keep a few of these around. They're cheap, good quality, good looking, and pleasant for notes. Thanks for the review.

#5 BMG

BMG

Medium Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 23:07

I also prefer notebooks (and just about every other type of product) that are not marred by the manufacturer's logo.

I have many Muji products, including some old notebooks, but not any of their more recent offerings. I'll have to check these out when I'm next in a Muji store.
Écrire c’est tenter de savoir ce qu’on écrirait si on écrivait. – M. Duras

#6 muskets

muskets

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 December 2012 - 01:10

I ordered a pack of these and one of the covers - they look like they'll be good for keeping in my bag for notetaking!

#7 mm1624124

mm1624124

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 17:12

I ordered a pack of these and one of the covers - they look like they'll be good for keeping in my bag for notetaking!

If you haven't tried one of the covers, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. I recently ordered an A5 notebook cover to try and it fits the Midori notebooks perfectly. The denim tag material and smell are addicting. I think my two oberon notebooks covers may have gotten the boot.

Edit to add that I already have the B5 notebook covers to marry with the Tsubame 200 sheet notebook. :cloud9: :cloud9:

Edited by mm1624124, 25 December 2012 - 17:34.

#8 muskets

muskets

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 December 2012 - 16:18

Agh, they make covers that'll fit Midori MD notebooks? That's it, I'm doomed x.x The Midori paper is my favourite by far

#9 mm1624124

mm1624124

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 20:25

I was fiddling around with the muji notebook as displayed by blackcat99 and must report that there is some minor feathering when using a pen that lays down massive quantities of ink (i.e.: broad, wet nibs with heavy flow). I couldn't perceive any bleeding, though. I prefer XF-M nibs, so this isn't an issue for me. And for those who care, the line on the paper does not absorb ink so the line shows through for any lettering that crosses it.

The cheaper 5pk/$3.95 notebooks have yet to display any abhorrent behavior. Hubby eyed my cache and nabbed two for his own uses. I tend to clean out the store's stock whenever I can. :ninja: :embarrassed_smile: So, he is a lucky fellow.

Agh, they make covers that'll fit Midori MD notebooks? That's it, I'm doomed x.x The Midori paper is my favourite by far

I know...I know... :gaah: I am so captivated by Midori that I find reasons to use them and then buy them and then find MORE uses for them...I simply love the japanese notebooks--all that I have tried, but it has come down to zen of simplicity, economy, austerity, and modesty, which Muji, Tsubame, and Midori embody. They are not my perfect, idealized notebooks but the wabi-sabi aesthetics are hard to resist. Whatever it is they lack, I've learned I never really *needed* after all.

"The emptiness of spatial arrangement that reduces everything down to the most essential quality."

#10 muskets

muskets

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 December 2012 - 23:16

I know...I know... :gaah: I am so captivated by Midori that I find reasons to use them and then buy them and then find MORE uses for them...I simply love the japanese notebooks--all that I have tried, but it has come down to zen of simplicity, economy, austerity, and modesty, which Muji, Tsubame, and Midori embody. They are not my perfect, idealized notebooks but the wabi-sabi aesthetics are hard to resist. Whatever it is they lack, I've learned I never really *needed* after all.

"The emptiness of spatial arrangement that reduces everything down to the most essential quality."

Yep, you got me. If I like the cover when it arrives (hopefully tomorrow), then I'll have to send out two more orders - one to Muji for an A5 cover, and one to The Journal Shop for an A5 grid-paper MD notebook...

#11 inkypete

inkypete

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,720 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:03

If you haven't tried one of the covers, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. I recently ordered an A5 notebook cover to try and it fits the Midori notebooks perfectly. The denim tag material and smell are addicting. I think my two oberon notebooks covers may have gotten the boot.

Edit to add that I already have the B5 notebook covers to marry with the Tsubame 200 sheet notebook. :cloud9: :cloud9:

Agree. A dear friend in NY was kind enough to send me a few of the A5 covers. they are fantastic, especially given the price. Ridiculously cheap. They fit the Clairefontaine A5 essentials prefectly. Just great value, very practical, very well made and a little different. Highly recommended!!!
Posted Image