Duo 7

Left FPN

I have been watching this for a week and decided to bung in a low bid and won. The description gives little hope of it being a user but lets see if that beyond repair means what it says. It may not be as bad as the Carene I managed to bring back to life...

Is the 7 a big'ish nib.

Edited by Force

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Left FPN

• Scrawler

• Xof72000

• Ernst Bitterman

I cannot clearly see the tip. Is a bit broken off? If not and it is just twisted it can be burnished with good results. I have one #7 Pink in an unassuming block body. I like keyhole nibs. Yes #7 is a beautiful big nib. After reading up about the #7 keyhole nib you may well think it worth your while to have this restored.

I cannot clearly see the tip. Is a bit broken off? If not and it is just twisted it can be burnished with good results. I have one #7 Pink in an unassuming block body. I like keyhole nibs. Yes #7 is a beautiful big nib. After reading up about the #7 keyhole nib you may well think it worth your while to have this restored.

OK thanks. I requested close up pictures of the nib but left it rather late to expect a reply. As always I looked at the sellers history and it was not pens so I thought he/she might assume a bend or twist to be beyond repair. When it arrives I will post some pics.

DUO 7 nibs have a little "inflexion" (don't know if this word is english ... :embarrassed_smile: ) on the end (I will post later a picture of the nib of mine, so you could see).

I'm not sure this one was bend.

But the ring on the section seems to be gone ... it's with it that the cap is closed.

DUO 7 nibs have a little "inflexion" (don't know if this word is english ... :embarrassed_smile: ) on the end (I will post later a picture of the nib of mine, so you could see).

I'm not sure this one was bend.

But the ring on the section seems to be gone ... it's with it that the cap is closed.

Yes, I have seen the "inflexion" (scallop shaped indents just behind the tip) and yes, I now see the ring is missing. I will turn a brass one and speak to an electronic component gold plater near our business who might just pop it in along with some other parts.

Edited by Force

Here are the promised pix... but don't know if they are very usefull, I haven't got the good camera (or skill) to make the proper image ...

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i404/Xof72000/SAM_2835.jpg?t=1355666194

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i404/Xof72000/SAM_2833.jpg?t=1355666192

Well the pen has arrived and the seller was close with the nib description. It's not pretty but with a little care I think it might be made functional. It will never be like new but perhaps useable. A Xmas project in the making.

It's in the ultrasonic at the moment so will take a few pics for tomorrow.

It came without a cartridge fitted so that's my next problem.

Well the pen has arrived and the seller was close with the nib description. It's not pretty but with a little care I think it might be made functional. It will never be like new but perhaps useable. A Xmas project in the making.

It's in the ultrasonic at the moment so will take a few pics for tomorrow.

It came without a cartridge fitted so that's my next problem.

These nibs can be fixed. They can either be burnished, have small bits of gold welded on, or be cut to a stub. I am very pleased with the results of 3 that have been fixed up for me. The problem comes when the cost of repair outstrips the value of the pen.

The seal also, can very easily be repaired : http://www.richardspens.com/?page=ref/repair/glasscart.htm

Thank you X. I was just going to say...where's the seal, it's gone. Now I know how to repair that bit as well. :notworthy1: Plus I know how to get the feed/nib out. This is all interesting stuff. But where to get a glass cartridge...ebay I suppose.

Edited by Force

The seal also, can very easily be repaired : http://www.richardspens.com/?page=ref/repair/glasscart.htm

Thank you X. I was just going to say...where's the seal, it's gone. Now I know how to repair that bit as well. :notworthy1: Plus I know how to get the feed/nib out. This is all interesting stuff. But where to get a glass cartridge...ebay I suppose.

You're welcome Force ! :happyberet:

Happy to help !

I've got some glass cartridge : send me a MP and I'll do what I can do for you :thumbup:

Ouch...

fpn_1356159509__dscn0231.jpg

fpn_1356159725__dscn0250.jpg

fpn_1356160791__dscn0257.jpg

Otherwise it's in good enough shape to consider ploughing on with the cost of an overhaul :bunny01:

Many thanks X I will PM you today :thumbup:

Edited by Force

Ouch...

<snip>

Otherwise it's in good enough shape to consider ploughing on with the cost of an overhaul :bunny01:

I recently had a nib in virtually identical condition straightened out by Gerry (Repair Q&A)

Ouch...

<snip>

I recently had a nib in virtually identical condition straightened out by Gerry (Repair Q&A)

Thanks but the shipping charges (from UK) alone might just outway the value.

I am anxious to get my special tweezers, which I left at work :headsmack: onto the bent bits. I have ordered a new sack for the seal and one for my 512V at the same time. It's going to be a new year project now.

Ouch...

<snip>

Thanks but the shipping charges (from UK) alone might just outway the value.

I am anxious to get my special tweezers, which I left at work :headsmack: onto the bent bits. I have ordered a new sack for the seal and one for my 512V at the same time. It's going to be a new year project now.

I am not suggesting you send it to Canada, just letting you know I think it can be done. I have never used the services of a restorer in Britain, but I feel confident that there should be someone there who is experienced in this.

• 2 weeks later...