#1 drgoretex

drgoretex

zookeeper of teenagers

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 December 2012 - 22:04

I recently saw Kevin's ad for the Conway Stewart Limited Edition 'Medical Sciences' pen in black ebonite. Being I am an MD and use FP all the time at work, I was instantly tempted into buying one.

The pen arrived just yesterday, and I am incredibly impressed. The presentation was extremely extravagant, with a large hinged box holding the pen, a cleaning cloth, a bottle of ink, and a decorative plate etched with 'Medical Sciences' and Aesculepias' rod.

The pen itself is stellar! A beautifully weighted chased black ebonite pen of perfect size to fit shirt pocket, with a most amazing, smooth gold nib.

Again, extremely impressed. I suspect another CS will be in my future. If my wife doesn't find out first...

Will prepare a proper review and post after I have been using this pen for a few weeks.

Cheers,

Ken

#2 RMN

RMN

Museum Piece

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,737 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:09

It looks like the pen is based on the Nelson, which is a great pen.
The other pen, the doctors pen which I have is based on the same pen.

The only thing I dislike is the silly dome on the cap.

The former pens had a cadduceus-sign. I had mine altered to an Aesculap.
Is the Aesculap too on this pen? or only on the plaquette?

Price looks good. But I would not order it from Europe because of import-dues.
What nib did you choose?

D.ick

Edited by RMN, 15 December 2012 - 08:51.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation. :

#3 drgoretex

drgoretex

zookeeper of teenagers

• Premium - Ruby

• 1,365 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:24

Actually, you are quite correct, it is a caduceus, not Aesculpias's rod. It is not on the pen, but rather on an ornamental plate in the presentation case. The pen's cap ring is engraved with the quote "Ars long, vita brevis".

I chose a medium nib (writes kind of medium-fine) which is far and away most useful for me at work (EMR is my enemy).

Ken

#4 mallymal1

mallymal1

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 December 2012 - 18:57

Hello Ken. Conratulations on your new pen! Looking forward to your review. :thumbup:

#5 alc3261

alc3261

50 Something Callinebephile!!

• Member - Gold & Supporter

• 1,356 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:36

Looks nice!!

button2.png                                                                            letterji9.png

My Pen Wraps are for sale in my Etsy shop

#6 goldenkrishna

goldenkrishna

goldenkrishna

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:07

Hello Ken,

Congratulations on acquiring such a high quality FP. I recently purchased a CS Winston Classic Claret with IB nib. It oozes quality, though I have to get used to the nib's writing characteristics.

Enjoy your FP!

With love,
goldenkrishna
Ik tik

#7 Chingona

Chingona

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:23

Hi Ken,

I've been thinking about buying the Kipling and was searching the CS forum to try to decide b/t an EF or F nib. However, I'm wondering if I shouldn't be rethinking those choices after reading your post, as I am currently a med student: why do you say that EMR lends itself to a medium nib? I would think narrower would be better for all of that red tape and those little boxes to check off?!? (Sadly, this question is being asked in earnest.)

My second question is: do you generally prefer European M nibs outside of work; or rather, would you choose a different sized nib if it *weren't* for all of that red tape? (Even more sadly, if the answer is that EMR is dictating a choice that I consider to be quite "intimate"! Ah, thank God I found this site for communing w/others who share my addiction for FPs...)

Edited by Chingona, 24 January 2013 - 05:25.

#8 alc3261

alc3261

• 1,356 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 January 2013 - 16:30

Hi Ken,

I've been thinking about buying the Kipling and was searching the CS forum to try to decide b/t an EF or F nib. However, I'm wondering if I shouldn't be rethinking those choices after reading your post, as I am currently a med student: why do you say that EMR lends itself to a medium nib? I would think narrower would be better for all of that red tape and those little boxes to check off?!? (Sadly, this question is being asked in earnest.)

My second question is: do you generally prefer European M nibs outside of work; or rather, would you choose a different sized nib if it *weren't* for all of that red tape? (Even more sadly, if the answer is that EMR is dictating a choice that I consider to be quite "intimate"! Ah, thank God I found this site for communing w/others who share my addiction for FPs...)

I believe the implication was that drgoretex does not like EMR!!
The Conway Stewart nibs tend to be on the broad side of European average (if that helps you?)

button2.png                                                                            letterji9.png

#9 drgoretex

drgoretex

zookeeper of teenagers

• Premium - Ruby

• 1,365 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:10

Yep - exactly :bonk:

#10 alc3261

alc3261

• 1,356 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:52

Yep - exactly :bonk:

Me neither!!