#1 Quigus

Quigus

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 December 2012 - 03:29

Today, I went to me nearest art supply store to buy a new pen with some money I made. When I was there I saw the Cross Tech 3 and I bought it for around 75$. Do you think I paid too much?

#2 jar

jar

A Vintage Pen has to be older than me.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,409 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 December 2012 - 03:33

Hi, welcome home. Pull up a stump and set a spell. If you like the pen then you didn't pay to much.

How pierceful grows the hazy yon! How myrtle petaled thou! For spring hath sprung the cyclotron - How high browse thou, brown cow? -- Churchy LaFemme, 1950

Anyone so limited that they can only spell a word one way suffers a severe handicap. -- jar

The last pen I bought will be the next to last pen I ever buy! --jar

#3 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,932 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 15:30

There are lots of pens that cost $50, 75, 100, 150. The 'middle class of pens'.

Often members started off, with a $30 :yikes: . Then they edge up, to :yikes: $50.
After that it becomes easy to say $80 for a Pelikan 200 is a good price, or start looking at $200 pens.

Used modern pens on the whole still work, and are so much cheaper than new.

As Jar said, if you like the pen, you didn't pay too much.

That you can buy a pen on Ebay for cheaper has nothing to do with it....even if you can buy a pen on line.

You went to the shop, liked the looks, liked the feel and how it wrote....so you got a deal. ;)

:W2FPN: This is where the nuts run the nut house.

Fountain pens, paper and inks are fun, or we'd not be here.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson, 07 December 2012 - 15:32.

Due to Mauricio's improved definition of Super-flex, I no longer use the term Easy Full Flex.

Semi-flex is an “almost” flex; not a ‘flex’ nib. It is great for regular writing with a touch of flair. It can give you some fancy; but it is not made for real fancy writing. For bit more of that get a 'flexi'/maxi-semi-flex. Both spread tines 3X.  Those are not "Flex" nibs. 

Odd, how many who should know better, compares Japanese F (which equals EF), with Western F, with out a second thought, but do not compare Japanese B with Western B.

Wider than Normal does not exist. Wider than Japanese does. Every company has it's very own standard + slop/tolerance. Developed from the users of it's pens only; not the users of other companies pens. The size you grind a nib to, is your standard only. Paper and ink matter to nib width. Thank god for 1/2 sizes or it would be boring.