34 replies to this topic

#31 The Phoenix 924

The Phoenix 924

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:45

I will echo what someone said above and recommend MontBlanc Midnight Blue. I've fallen in love with the professional colour and performance of the ink, due to its quick dry time and it doesn't draw the eye unnecessarily. Since it isn't the run-of the mill blue or black either and it's iron gall, it works very well as an exam ink.

#32 JasonF

JasonF

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:08

So unless exam organizers have the gall to be serving up glorified TP for people to slave over for three hours

In my experience, that's a pretty accurate description of the paper in blue books. Absolutely awful. It's like that awful garbage they use for handwriting booklets in elementary school.

Some of the quick drying suggestions might be okay if used with an EF or F nib, but I would take some G2 pens along just in case.

Edited by JasonF, 17 December 2012 - 03:10.

#33 JefferyS

JefferyS

"Don't tase me, bro!"

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:28

The smoothest non-FP pens in my lifetime (so far) are the Retro gel pen and the Fisher Space Pen ballpoint. But if it were my neck on the line, I'd show up with 10 Zebras stuffed in my shirt pocket.
Jeffery
In the Irish Channel of
New Orleans, LA

#34 muskokabrian

muskokabrian

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:50

So in the end I used the Pelikan brilliant black I had on hand and it wrote very well with the M400 nib on the booklet they provided. The paper in the booklet wasnt as bad as i thought. I can say, without a doubt, given the choice to use an fp was a good one. My hand would have been aching otherwise. I tend to take the, throw everything at the wall approach, and went through a few booklets.

#35 Yomillio

Yomillio

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:58

So in the end I used the Pelikan brilliant black I had on hand and it wrote very well with the M400 nib on the booklet they provided. The paper in the booklet wasnt as bad as i thought. I can say, without a doubt, given the choice to use an fp was a good one. My hand would have been aching otherwise. I tend to take the, throw everything at the wall approach, and went through a few booklets.

Glad to hear it worked out. Those booklets are usually comprised of the worst-quality paper fathomable.

Never had time to worry about ink drying on my exams.

A Jetstream Uniball was a good exam writing pen.

Uniball Jetstreams are my go-to "cheap" ballpoint for applications where a fountain pen doesn't work. I probably have at least a dozen of them laying around my house. Probably started college with about 36 of them. They really write brilliantly for what they are. Extremely smooth, even with a fine refill.
Waterman Phileas F - Parker 51 Blue Diamond Vac - Esterbrook J 9788 (Extra Flex M) - Esterbrook J 2314M (Relief M Stub) - Lamy Safari XF - Hero 616

Posted Image