Exam Ink

muskokabrian

I take evening classes at a university and now that its exam time i'm looking for a fast drying ink that does not bleed or feather too much on the lower grade paper that the exam booklets contain. Blue would be my preference but black would do. There is a three hour essay component to the exams so the light touch of an fp is really nice on the hand compared to a ballpoint. Previously I've used Lamy blue cartridge ink and it was ok but it bled through and feathered. I will be writing with my Pelikan m200 with an m400 fine nib. Noodlers X-feather dries too slow, btw.

Edited by muskokabrian

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JefferyS

• muskokabrian

• torstar

• ravantra

I never can think of that Noodler's ink that can be applied and then dunked into water and pounded with Nathan's fist without smearing.

What was that ink?

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA

I never can think of that Noodler's ink that can be applied and then dunked into water and pounded with Nathan's fist without smearing.

What was that ink?

It can't be regular Black. That ink leaves a layer of unbonded ink that smears with my sweaty palm. Must be BSB, that ink is completely water proof.

I wanted to suggest Lamy Blue-black but it was reformulated to the cartridge version and I have no first hand experience with that. Try diamine registrar or ESSRI or MontBlanc Midnight blue. They're great for lousy paper.

In my experience, the Pelikan m200 with an F nib writes very well with Montblanc Midnight blue. It has replaced Noodler's black as my ink of choice in that particular pen. :cloud9:

Edited by carlos.q

Noodler's Kung Te Cheng is completely waterproof and smear resistant.

Change is not mandatory, Survival is not required.

What was that ink?

Bernanke Black/Blue?

What was that ink?

Bernanke Black/Blue?

That sounds right.

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA

Pilot Blue is fast drying and works well on cheap paper, bottles are readily availible. Diamine Washable Blue is my go to blue with DeAtramentis Ferdinand von Zeppelin and Rohrer and Klingner Salix close behind. All of those should work well for you.

What was that ink?

Bernanke Black/Blue?

That sounds right.

The Bernanke inks are not waterproof. They dry in the blink of an eye, but a dunk into water will leave nary a trace on the paper.

Exams tend to involve least common denominator paper or, better said, never involve higher quality finished papers. Noodler's Black dries very quickly on cheaper grades of paper and will not bleed through or show through on anything more substantial than a tissue. Bulletproof Black would be my choice for this application. Any of the iron gall inks would serve as well, but Bulletproof Black has better lubrication and flow than any iron gall ink I've ever tried.

JLT (J. L. Trasancos, Barneveld, NY)

"People with courage and character always seem sinister to the rest."

Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962)

1354842708[/url]' post='2528898']

ESS Registrar's Ink.

Yeah, hard to argue otherwise. It really grabs the paper.

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA

3 hour exams ..... Glad it's not me (again).

You need to take in more than one pen.

Bernanke inks dry really really fast. HOWEVER

KTC is the original exam ink (think bar exam in time of Confucius). Load KTC in several pens. Try it out on cheap paper (only casebooks have thinner paper).

Take multiple pens!!!

Take different types of pens. I'd take a few G2 Gels, a few fountain pens and a Sensa loaded with a Fisher space pen refill. Oh and don't forget a No. 2 pencil.

If that sounds like overkill, remember, these 3 hour exams likely lead to all day exams. Learn what you need now.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

+1 for waterproofness. Markers will carry scripts around outdoors (usually in supermarket carrier bags - look for the people with carrier bags full of paper and very long faces) and mark them at the dining table. Plenty of opportunity for the papers to get damp.

I'd also avoid pens with hard, nail-like nibs (sorry, P51 fans. I found my wrist aching after a day marking with a Lamy Safari, but the next day a soft Osmiroid in an Estebrook was far better.

3 hour exams ..... Glad it's not me (again).

You need to take in more than one pen.

Bernanke inks dry really really fast. HOWEVER

KTC is the original exam ink (think bar exam in time of Confucius). Load KTC in several pens. Try it out on cheap paper (only casebooks have thinner paper).

Take multiple pens!!!

Take different types of pens. I'd take a few G2 Gels, a few fountain pens and a Sensa loaded with a Fisher space pen refill. Oh and don't forget a No. 2 pencil.

If that sounds like overkill, remember, these 3 hour exams likely lead to all day exams. Learn what you need now.

Excellent suggestion!

What Little Lord Fauntleroy set of exams are these people writing that they can stop to load their pens again and worry about ink drying?

Sure wasn't anything I experienced in 20 years of the hell of exam writing.

I'll be honest. Don't bring a FP to an exam. You're not going to appreciate the smooth writing experience when you are desperately trying to answer questions. Resign yourself to a Pilot G2 (best RB IMO) and be done with it. After the test, break out your FP and journal about how well/badly you did on the test.

Excellent suggestion!

What Little Lord Fauntleroy set of exams are these people writing that they can stop to load their pens again and worry about ink drying?

Sure wasn't anything I experienced in 20 years of the hell of exam writing.

Well that's a rude response. Because the poster wanted to be well prepared for their exam, making sure they had proper materials that won't smudge means they're spoiled? That's ludicrous. As the poster said, writing with a fountain pen for three hours is a lot easier on the hand than a ballpoint will be. And how is popping in a spare cartridge any different than grabbing a new ballpoint when yours runs out? If spending that small amount of time switching inks is problematic then obviously you are not well prepared for the exam in the first place.

Anyway, to the original poster I'll third the recommendations for iron galls on cheaper paper. I almost always use fountain pens on exams and have yet to have any sort of problem.

Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.

I'm getting ready to do a lot of library research on invertebrates for a possible future course. I'm going to use ESS iron gall ink because of the very things the OP is requesting. I find it a bit dry, but wet inks stay wet. Should be fine in a fine point TWSBI.

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA