7 replies to this topic

#1 humsin

humsin

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:11

My nib and feed has a gap between! I have tried to disassemble the unit and put it back, but after writing for a bit, the gap occurs again! What should I do???
The pen I write with, is the pen I use to sign my name.

#2 Ron Z

Ron Z

Museum Piece

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,669 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:05

What is the pen? There are too many variables that can cause this to give a good answer your to question without knowing.

Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...
The Blue Fingers Blog is live! Ramblings and musings (and occasional repair tips) from the bench.

#3 Koyote

Koyote

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 14:45

Is there a problem with the pen's writing performance?

#4 humsin

humsin

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,070 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 15:33

It's a Graf von Faber-Castell Classic. The problem is that ink is not flowing so no, the pen will not write.

#5 Ron Z

Ron Z

Museum Piece

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,669 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 15:52

OK, that's helpful. This is a modern pen, not vintage, which is also good to know.

The pen will of course not write if there is a gap between the nib and feed. The question is why there is a gap. One assumes that it did not come from the factory this way, so something changed.

So I would ask if the nib was bent in any way that would cause it to lift up away from the nib. If yes, it needs to be straightened. If no, we look elsewhere. You've had the nib and feed out of the pen, so is there damage to the feed? I would guess no.

Which leads to the collar. The Faber-Castell pens use a nib unit, the and feed contained in a collar, that screws into the section. Many manufacturers use nibs by Schmidt, Bock and Jowo, which use this basic design. If not supported by a brass ring (and many aren't) the collar can crack or break. This would allow the nib and feed to shift, or even the nib to lift away from the feed. The fact that it separates when you write after reassembly makes me suspect that the collar is damaged. Check the collar for cracks or an outright break. If cracked, it can be repaired. If broken or pieces missing, it will need to be replaced.

Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...
The Blue Fingers Blog is live! Ramblings and musings (and occasional repair tips) from the bench.

#6 AltecGreen

AltecGreen

Pen Snob

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,695 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 16:54

The pen will of course not write if there is a gap between the nib and feed. The question is why there is a gap. One assumes that it did not come from the factory this way, so something changed.

I think this thread from yesterday provides the answer.
"It is traditional and not to be questioned."

"You gotta get your Pen Posse on!"
-Ethernautrix

#7 humsin

humsin

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,070 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 17:29

This is weird because I've been using an older GvFC nib for a long time and never had any problems with it. I just got this as a replacement because my old one was monotone and this one's bicolour.

#8 mhosea

mhosea

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 December 2012 - 18:42

This is weird because I've been using an older GvFC nib for a long time and never had any problems with it. I just got this as a replacement because my old one was monotone and this one's bicolour.

Different alloys perhaps? Different nibs altogether? A pen maker can switch nib suppliers.
I know my id is "mhosea", but you can call me Mike. It's an old Unix thing.