Photo

Where Can I Find Sheaffer History (Post-1960)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 welch

welch

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,009 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:52

What are good sites to piece together Sheaffer's history after about 1960. I have a fairly clear idea of what pens they were making and when and why up through about 1960. After that, it is hard to pin down the various models of Imperial: triumph nib, inlaid, gold nib, touchdown filler, and the dreaded cartridge / converter. "Dreaded" because the converters seem to have changed size a few times with different models, although most Sheaffers appear to take a modern cartridge.

Then there are the look-alikes: the Legacy / Heritage that looks a lot like the PfM, for instance.

Then there are all the finishes: gold, silver, patterned, etc etc.

Parker is well documented at Tony Fischier's site, and the Doc of Vacs explains the Snorkels in describing his pens. I understand the competition over nibs and filling systems: Snorkel and P61 capillary, both trying to reduce the drips and drops of filling as against the clean new ballpoint.

But then??

Yes, the Sheaffer Museum has great stories, and I enjoy them, but I haven't seen something like a company history.
Don't take any job that requires new clothes.

#2 jar

jar

A Vintage Pen has to be older than me.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,941 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:59

Yup. No company history, no desire it seems from Sheaffer to create it. There are tons of materials but mostly in unindexed and unorganized boxes of papers. There are sites like SheafferTarga.com but it too was just a labor of love by a few people.

How pierceful grows the hazy yon! How myrtle petaled thou! For spring hath sprung the cyclotron - How high browse thou, brown cow? -- Churchy LaFemme, 1950

Anyone so limited that they can only spell a word one way suffers a severe handicap. -- jar

The last pen I bought will be the next to last pen I ever buy! --jar

#3 Ernst Bitterman

Ernst Bitterman

Nil Magnum Nisi Bonum

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,867 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 December 2012 - 15:55

I've got a bit of coverage for the modern era, but it's not what you'd call authoritative.
Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

#4 ashbridg

ashbridg

Wide Girth Vintage Sheaffers

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 750 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 19:42

I have a fairly clear idea of what pens they were making and when and why up through about 1960. After that, it is hard to pin down the various models of Imperial: triumph nib, inlaid, gold nib, touchdown filler, and the dreaded cartridge / converter.

The PCA archives online are good. The best resource for just the different models and dates is the Fischler and Schneider book, Fountain Pens and Pencils: The Golden Age of Writing Instruments, often referred to as the "F&S Bluebook." There is no comprehensive reference available for Sheaffer pens since the 1960s. Such a book would take thousands of pages.
Carpe Stilo

#5 welch

welch

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,009 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:09

I've got a bit of coverage for the modern era, but it's not what you'd call authoritative.

This is a very good "bit" of coverage.
Don't take any job that requires new clothes.

#6 Happy Harry

Happy Harry

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:47

A lot of info in a small package !! I could argue some of the model table on minor points but overall something to be proud about.