Dearest Friends and Visitors of the Fountain Pen Network,
We have started implementing the changes we promised here: Upcoming Changes To FPN
Please do read the linked message above.

Photo

Safari + Ink

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#61 1563s

1563s

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 January 2013 - 22:04

Sorry to have come to this one late.

I have had the same problem with Safari/Vista and thought it was just me! It's improved since I started concentrating more on (1) transporting the pens nib-up and (2) putting the caps on and taking them off with the pen nib-up ... but it hasn't totally disappeared. Up until now I've mostly been using Lamy cartridges and it certainly has happened with black and green for me. Recently started using bottled ink/converter - my first ink was Waterman Havana Brown and it's been just fine so far! Looking forward to trying some more inks. Bought Diamine Blue-Black today but haven't had the chance to ink a pen with it yet.

What the problem has done is make me consider moving up the price range a bit and try a Studio as it looks like the front doesn't have the ink-gathering lip and so it should be better at keeping my fingers ink-free. I'll let you know in due course!

Edited by 1563s, 11 January 2013 - 22:05.

#62 skysora

skysora

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:23

Sorry to have come to this one late.

I have had the same problem with Safari/Vista and thought it was just me! It's improved since I started concentrating more on (1) transporting the pens nib-up and (2) putting the caps on and taking them off with the pen nib-up ... but it hasn't totally disappeared. Up until now I've mostly been using Lamy cartridges and it certainly has happened with black and green for me. Recently started using bottled ink/converter - my first ink was Waterman Havana Brown and it's been just fine so far! Looking forward to trying some more inks. Bought Diamine Blue-Black today but haven't had the chance to ink a pen with it yet.

What the problem has done is make me consider moving up the price range a bit and try a Studio as it looks like the front doesn't have the ink-gathering lip and so it should be better at keeping my fingers ink-free. I'll let you know in due course!

Hi 1563s! Nope, nope, nope--it's not you! And I really think it's only an issue with a limited number of inks with certain properties. I think Waterman Havana Brown works really well with the Safari! And what a pretty color...

Yes, please keep us posted!

#63 maryannemoll

maryannemoll

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 15:31

Oh, by the way, there IS one ink that I call the "nib-creeper," because it gets nib creeb on all my pens, regardless of the nib size, pen brand, etc. It's Noodler's Zhivago. But It doesn't bother me, because the nib creep always seems semi-dry so it doesn't get on anything else.

Last week I loaded Zhivago into a glossy black Safari with a broad nib, and the morning after, hello, nib creep! However, the ink still doesn't get on the neck of the section. (Or maybe now I can't see it, because the pen is black.)

Last time I used Zhivago on the Grand Place (a pen which I have recently placed on semi-retirement), it caused nib creep as well.

Oh, well.

#64 skysora

skysora

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 15:51

maryannemoll, my "nib-creeper" seems to be one of my favorites: Diamine Kelly Green. It was way cool to see the crusty build-up on my Vanishing Point nib the other day. And it never fails to create the neck ring, no matter what method I use. Can't help loving it and using it ;)

Edit: typo :gaah:

Edited by skysora, 12 January 2013 - 15:51.

#65 maryannemoll

maryannemoll

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 980 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:36

maryannemoll, my "nib-creeper" seems to be one of my favorites: Diamine Kelly Green. It was way cool to see the crusty build-up on my Vanishing Point nib the other day. And it never fails to create the neck ring, no matter what method I use. Can't help loving it and using it ;)

I love Kelly Green, too! Diamine doesn't cause any nib creeps on my Lamy nibs. Good thing, because I love Diamine!

I already retired my Pilot VP after years of major use, and I remember it having the nib creep only with Zhivago. I'm thinking maybe that's an effect that some Noodler's bullet-proof inks have; both the Antietam and the Black Swan - Aussie (both non bullet-proof) don't cause nib creep on any of my pens.

Edited by maryannemoll, 14 January 2013 - 02:01.

#66 51ISH

51ISH

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,045 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 January 2013 - 21:51

I love Kelly Green, too! Diamine doesn't cause any nib creeps on my Lamy nibs. Good thing, because I love Diamine!

I already retired my Pilot VP after years of major use, and I remember it having the nib creep only with Zhivago. I'm thinking maybe that's an effect that some Noodler's bullet-proof inks have; both the Antietam and the Black Swan - Aussie (both non bullet-proof) don't cause nib creep on any of my pens.

Not the same I know, but if you like Diamine ....Sherwood Green is 'well behaved' in my experience...if you like the colour... :unsure:

#67 maryannemoll

maryannemoll

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 980 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 22:49

I also have the Sherwood Green. It's my very first Diamine, and I fell in love with it right away! Diamine inks do behave well.

#68 51ISH

51ISH

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,045 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 January 2013 - 21:06

I also have the Sherwood Green. It's my very first Diamine, and I fell in love with it right away! Diamine inks do behave well.

Hi

From what I have read here Sherwood is particularly well behaved...so maybe not all are so welcoming...although I too love Diamines' range :thumbup: