Safari + Ink

skysora

I have used Diamine Sapphire and Herbin Sapphire with no problems.

Thanks, brownargus. I have a sample of the Herbin Sapphire--will give it a try!

brownargus, Herbin Sapphire did VERY well, indeed! Thanks for the tip!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• skysora

• maryannemoll

• 51ISH

• Renfield

Here are the inks I remember using with my Lamy Safari and Vista - none have exhibited the problems you reported:

1. Waterman Havana Brown (old bottle) - currently inked.

2. Pelikan Brilliant Black - in a Safari that I carried around and got knocked about a bit.

3. Pelikan Brilliant Brown.

4. Montblanc Racing Green.

5. Lamy Blue cartrige - used while travelling. This pen went through a lot of temperature changes - from 97 degrees outside to air-conditioned buildings.

I'm sure I have used others but can't remember for sure - I don't have any of the inks on your problem list though :-)

Salman

My daughter gets Nib creep with Pelikan Brilliant Black, However with Noodlers Black the Nib creep was unbelievable! and the flow was bad.

The Pelikan was the alternative and to be honest, better than the Noodlers

Thanks, Renfield. I'm going to order samples of a few Pelikans!

I also like Havana Brown in my Safari, medium nib. Currently inked.

Viper

"Hey, Cameron. You realize if we played by the rules right now we'd be in gym?"

. . . . Ferris B.

I also like Havana Brown in my Safari, medium nib. Currently inked.

Viper

Thanks, Viper. My husband is currently trying the black Lamy carts and he has not complained. Havana brown is next!

And no affiliation, but Brian G's recent mailbox Monday post answered my question, too:

http://www.inknouveau.com/2012/12/mailbox-monday-34.html?m=1

Thanks, all, for helping me figure this out.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't recall that with mine with either of the Levenger inks I have used (Raven Black & Cobalt Blue), Pelikan 4001 Blue Black.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

To 'solve' this issue myself I started filling the converter directly from the bottle. I tend to use only Diamine Inks in my Safaris (workhorses) and its practically a resolved issue now.

To 'solve' this issue myself I started filling the converter directly from the bottle. I tend to use only Diamine Inks in my Safaris (workhorses) and its practically a resolved issue now.

How often do you fill them? and do you find that the converter strats to get loose, with being repeatedly getting taken out?

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

I've had no problems with Waterman's Serenity Blue in mine. Good color and well behaved

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

I have seen many pens with this problem.

Could be because of over filling.

After each fill try letting off a few drops(4 to 5) of ink and then pull back the converter.

This prevents over flow.

I am not sure about cartridges but I have seen similar problems in pens using cartridges.

Quite messy so you need to clean both the pen and the cap.

CK

Thanks for the tip, CapeClear. As an experiment, I just filled a converter with Diamine Kelly Green, which is especially prone to this problem. Keeping my fingers crossed!

I have seen many pens with this problem.

Could be because of over filling.

After each fill try letting off a few drops(4 to 5) of ink and then pull back the converter.

This prevents over flow.

I am not sure about cartridges but I have seen similar problems in pens using cartridges.

Quite messy so you need to clean both the pen and the cap.

Thanks, Charles. I didn't think about the possibility of overfilling. As an experiment, I'm going to try your method with Noodler's Red Black, another gorgeous ink that's prone to cause the "ink pool" (in fact it's Red Black in my OP).

Edit: added detail in last sentence

Edited by skysora

I've had no problems with Waterman's Serenity Blue in mine. Good color and well behaved

sargetalon, just last week I read the thread on how Serenity Blue is a good tester ink. I think my sample is going to arrive tomorrow (along with Havana Brown). Can't wait to try it.

I don't recall that with mine with either of the Levenger inks I have used (Raven Black & Cobalt Blue), Pelikan 4001 Blue Black.

Runnin_Ute, I haven't tried Levenger inks. Raven Black is a cool name. I agree Safaris and Pelikan 4001 play real nice!

How often do you fill them? and do you find that the converter strats to get loose, with being repeatedly getting taken out?

2/3 times during a normal working week. To be honest I hadn't even considered that the converter might start to loosen...! I've been doing this with one pen for about 3 years and the other for about 2 so I suppose it's a good thing that I haven't noticed any loosening!

Thanks for the tip, CapeClear. As an experiment, I just filled a converter with Diamine Kelly Green, which is especially prone to this problem. Keeping my fingers crossed!

I hope it works out for you skysora. I genuinely only notice minimal, if any really, creep using this method.

2/3 times during a normal working week. To be honest I hadn't even considered that the converter might start to loosen...! I've been doing this with one pen for about 3 years and the other for about 2 so I suppose it's a good thing that I haven't noticed any loosening!

I hope it works out for you skysora. I genuinely only notice minimal, if any really, creep using this method.

Looking very good so far :thumbup:

What inks have you used, that act like this? How many have you tried so far? How do you fill the pen, by dipping into the bottle or with a syringe?

I've used mainly Diamine inks - Midnight, Umber, Damson have posed no problems so far for me. So far, the only ink that has creeped onto the nib of my Safari is MB Midnight Blue, but just around the nib slit.

Thanks so much for the swift response, wastelanded! I fill the pen by dipping into the bottle. I've tried many inks, but so far this has happened with:

PR Avacado

Platinum Carbon Black

Diamine Poppy Red

Diamine Kelly Green

Diamine Maroon (only when diluted)

R&K Verdigris

That's great to know about Midnight, Umber, and Damson, since I'm a big fan of Diamine inks.

Thank you for opening up this thread. The same issue occurred with my Lamy when I used Diamine Poppy Red and I naturally assumed it was just a bad ink bottle :P. Now I know better!

What inks have you used, that act like this? How many have you tried so far? How do you fill the pen, by dipping into the bottle or with a syringe?

I've used mainly Diamine inks - Midnight, Umber, Damson have posed no problems so far for me. So far, the only ink that has creeped onto the nib of my Safari is MB Midnight Blue, but just around the nib slit.

Thanks so much for the swift response, wastelanded! I fill the pen by dipping into the bottle. I've tried many inks, but so far this has happened with:

PR Avacado

Platinum Carbon Black

Diamine Poppy Red

Diamine Kelly Green

Diamine Maroon (only when diluted)

R&K Verdigris

That's great to know about Midnight, Umber, and Damson, since I'm a big fan of Diamine inks.

Thank you for opening up this thread. The same issue occurred with my Lamy when I used Diamine Poppy Red and I naturally assumed it was just a bad ink bottle :P. Now I know better!

You might give the cartridge method or release a few drops method a go? Both methods have been working very nicely for me.

I use waterman absolute brown (formerly havana brown) and its really well behaved.

I had a chance to try this ink today. Really lovely color and indeed well behaved! Thanks again for the suggestion.

I had this problem with my Safaris. Try diluting the ink. Start at a ratio of 4 parts ink, 1 part water and increase til problem is gone. I dilute 50% and don't have this problem anymore. Plus, the ink dries much faster and doesn't smear anymore.

Edited by aj3537