#31 osnofian

osnofian

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 923 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 December 2012 - 22:10

I wear no brassier; I carry no Montblanc.

Wait! If I carry a montblanc, should I now go and buy a Brassier? :roflmho:

Edited by osnofian, 07 December 2012 - 22:11.

#32 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

Generally, sleepy.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,730 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 22:31

I wear no brassier; I carry no Montblanc.

Wait! If I carry a montblanc, should I now go and buy a Brassier? :roflmho:

Of course. I thought that was clear! :ltcapd:
"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."
~ Benjamin Franklin

#33 rockspyder

rockspyder

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,136 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 December 2012 - 23:51

Please share your experiences.

They sell them in boutiques. Can you believe that?

You know what else is sold in boutiques? Like Victoria's Secret? Yep: brassieres.

Do you think a brassiere is going to last decades, much less a lifetime? Not bloody likely. So there, you have your answer: a Montblanc pen is about as reliable as a brassiere. This is my experience, or at least what I'm typing at the moment...

Do you often dress up in woman's underwear? :clap1:

Lots of high end products are sold in small boutiques.

:roflmho: :thumbup: well said Brandon!

Again, an assumptive response from someone who admits to not owning a Montblanc.
Invariably, those who bash the brand don't own any.
The bulk of criticism is based on preconceived ideas and assumptions, and sometimes an equally assumptive dislike of the company's business model. Again preconceived, because their business model remains successful, despite the economic climate being what it is. Like it or not, they continue to go forward. They somehow succeed to attract a returning client base.

I have plenty, plenty Montblancs. Like Brandon, I also have all the WE's, some even in duplicate with different nib sizes. All 21 plus 7 dulicates. 14 POA's/great persons/music donation pens and other LE's. 6 Skeletons. 9 149's, including a demonstrator, 2 with bespoke nibs, one a double-slit signature. 3 Starwalkers, 2 146's. Vintage ones I'll have to go and count, but it includes 3 139's. Somewhere close to 80 MB's last time someone counted.
I am a hoarder, I admit it.
So, yes, to the OP, I like their quality enough to keep buying their pens. Picking up 2 more beautiful MB's tomorrow, both with B nibs.. :puddle:

They can call their shops what they like. My shop knows me by name. They are never too busy to give me a cup of tea or some juice, even if I just pop in to take a look or say hello. They have made possible the Hamburg factory tour we had earlier this year. The place is always full of such beautiful stuff. I like them. So, if I have to buy from a shop called a boutique, so be it.

JonSzanto - c'mon, try it - dare going to the dark side, and get a Montblanc... ;) :thumbup:

#34 Ghost Plane

Ghost Plane

Indescribable

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,041 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 December 2012 - 23:58

I wear a bra. I love MBs. I prefer using a personal shopper as I have better things to do with my time. Welcome to the 21st century. :bunny01:

#35 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

Generally, sleepy.

• Member - Gold

• 2,730 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:02

JonSzanto - c'mon, try it - dare going to the dark side, and get a Montblanc... ;) :thumbup:

Please note my post where I wonder about the people taking me seriously. I honestly didn't think anyone would take this as a true critique of the pens or company. As for owning one, we'll see. I almost bough a 149 recently, but decided against it, and anyway, they're just pens.

I wear a bra. I love MBs. I prefer using a personal shopper as I have better things to do with my time. Welcome to the 21st century. :bunny01:

Let them eat cake.
"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."
~ Benjamin Franklin

#36 Plume145

Plume145

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 21:03

Let them eat cake.

oh man, yeah. Slooow down there, NOT using a personal shopper isn't exactly a sign that you're living in the past...unless you were just messing around?

I'm not affiliated with ANY of the brands/retailers/shops/ebay sellers/whatever I mention or recommend. If that ever changes, I will let you know :)

Looking for a cheap Pilot VP/Capless - willing to put up with lots of cosmetic damage. 

#37 Pen Nut

Pen Nut

"You open one safe door and another one closes"

• Member - Gold & Supporter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,181 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 December 2012 - 21:30

I once had a personal shoplifter because I didnt want to do the time :rolleyes:

My heart says English, my head says Japanese, my hand holds German (pens, cars or beer ?)

" I spend 95% of my income on pens..........the rest I just waste " 

#38 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

Generally, sleepy.

• Member - Gold

• 2,730 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 23:11

I once had a personal shoplifter because I didnt want to do the time :rolleyes:

Brilliant!
~ Benjamin Franklin

#39 Ghost Plane

Ghost Plane

Indescribable

• Moderators

• 23,041 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 December 2012 - 23:16

Is this the line for the guillotine? ;) :bunny01:

#40 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

Generally, sleepy.

• Member - Gold

• 2,730 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 00:34

Is this the line for the guillotine? ;) :bunny01:

Oh, good grief, I hope not! I thought they were handing out guilloche models. :gaah:
~ Benjamin Franklin

#41 talkinghead

talkinghead

Füllhaltersammler

• Member - Gold

• 1,680 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:42

I'll share my experiences. I own and have owned more Mont Blancs than probably 95% of people on here.

:ltcapd:

Oh, and its Montblanc by the way.

Mont Blanc is a mountain that lies in a range called the Graian Alps, between the regions of Aosta Valley, Italy, and Haute-Savoie, France.

Rick
MY-stair-shtook eyn-HOON-dairt noyn und FEART-seeg (Meisterstuck #149)
"the last pen I bought is the next to the last pen I will ever buy.."---jar
WTB: Sheaffer OS Balance with FLEX nibs
Posted Image
Porkopolis Penners Blog

#42 Pen Nut

Pen Nut

"You open one safe door and another one closes"

• Member - Gold & Supporter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,181 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:34

I'll share my experiences. I own and have owned more Mont Blancs than probably 95% of people on here.

Mont Blanc is a mountain that lies in a range called the Graian Alps, between the regions of Aosta Valley, Italy, and Haute-Savoie, France.

Rick

Actually its Montblanc writing instruments to get the grammer correct. Only know this because judging at the R-R.E.C. rally one year I got the lecture regarding " you do not refer to the group of vehicles as Rolls-Royces the term is Rolls-Royce motor cars " so I suppose Montblancs would also come under that banner of incorrect English ?

My heart says English, my head says Japanese, my hand holds German (pens, cars or beer ?)

" I spend 95% of my income on pens..........the rest I just waste " 

#43 Gcouch

Gcouch

What can't Ducktape fix?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 December 2012 - 16:31

I've never once had a problem with my MB's before. Great quality pens. But if you're still having doubts, get a Lamy. German engineering at reasonable prices.
...................__
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................'...../ BROFIST
..........''...\.......... _.·´
............\..............(

#44 mmahany

mmahany

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 December 2012 - 20:33

Rick

I'm not sure what was so funny about my post. It wasn't meant to be an arrogant comment. I was simply saying that I've had quite a bit of experience with many of their pens so I have had the opportunity to compare different models.

And I will continue to call them Mont Blanc pens. Especially because their brand is based around the mountain in the alps. I certainly don't think it's incorrect.

People commonly refer to the MB symbol as a "White Star." In reality, it represents the top of Mont Blanc. Why do you think their nibs read 4810 on them? That's the approx. heigh of Mont Blanc in meters.

You're welcome to laugh all you want, but this isn't a (bleep) match. The OP asked about the quality of their pens so I shared my personal experience.

#45 drgoretex

drgoretex

zookeeper of teenagers

• Premium - Ruby

• 1,354 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 December 2012 - 22:22

Say, is my Montblanc showing through my shirt?

#46 mongrelnomad

mongrelnomad

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,442 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 22:56

I have about 20 MBS and, from my experience, I find MBs (in relation to other similar-level producers) better put together and more reliable than:

Omas
Montegrappa
Parker
Conway Stewart
Visconti

but less well-built and less reliable than:

Aurora
Pilot
Sailor
Nakaya/Platinum
Onoto

and about the same as:

Pelikan

This is irrespective of my own personal subjective preference for nibs, designs, materials etc...

Edited by mongrelnomad, 11 December 2012 - 22:57.

Too many pens; too little writing.

#47 leod

leod

Inksane

• Member - Gold

• 1,026 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 December 2012 - 15:31

Aurora
Pilot
Sailor
Nakaya/Platinum
Onoto

a better comparison would be same filling mechanism, some of the above are C/C.
would a well built be a good description since they have lesser parts?
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing

#48 mongrelnomad

mongrelnomad

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,442 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 21:47

Aurora
Pilot
Sailor
Nakaya/Platinum
Onoto

a better comparison would be same filling mechanism, some of the above are C/C.
would a well built be a good description since they have lesser parts?

IMO fit and finish, tolerances and reliability can be a good estimation of quality, irrespective of filling mechanisms.
Too many pens; too little writing.

#49 Chrissy

Chrissy

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,260 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 December 2012 - 23:07

:thumbup:
I also wear a bra. I also love Mb's. I would like to use a personal shopper but have never had the opportunity....

postcardde9.png

#50 Ghost Plane

Ghost Plane

Indescribable

• Moderators

• 23,041 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 December 2012 - 23:15

Many mid-range US stores offer the service now to regular customers. Nice to be able to call my favorite shop and ask them to pull things in my size. Best of all, they'll do it a week before the sale, then hold what I'm interested in until the day of, when I come in and pay. Added to a card for that store that offers coupons for free clothes with a certain amount of purchases, I can put my regular expenses on that card [electric bill, groceries, etc], have the shopper pull clothes for me, then go in on the day and hand them a sheaf of coupons, thus walking out with lots of clothes for little money.

Helps to fund my MB habit. :bunny01:

#51 razr

razr

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:38

I've owned 6 MB pens through the years (ballpoints and FPs - Classique, Le Grand, Boheme, and Starwalker). The Le Grand BP is the best writing and best feeling BP I've ever used (especiallty with the Broad refill). The nibs are excellent on the FPs and I believe they're the only FP maker that still makes their nibs in-house. Personally I've always preferred the Meisterstuck line.

Yes, they're expensive but well worth the price.

#52 iamchum

iamchum

Oh Long Johnson

• Member - Gold

• 841 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:27

I will admit that the body of my 149, with its resin shininess, does little to impress me, in fact my big red feels better made despite being almost 90 years old, and suffering some consequences of old age (although the nib is still utterly gorgeous). But... that being said... The nib... oh boy. I nearly wet myself when I started writing with it.

My two best writers.

Posted Image..........Posted Image

.........I call this one Günter. ......... I call this one Michael Clarke Duncan.

#53 Koyote

Koyote

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,072 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:49

I've owned 6 MB pens through the years (ballpoints and FPs - Classique, Le Grand, Boheme, and Starwalker). The Le Grand BP is the best writing and best feeling BP I've ever used (especiallty with the Broad refill). The nibs are excellent on the FPs and I believe they're the only FP maker that still makes their nibs in-house. Personally I've always preferred the Meisterstuck line.

Yes, they're expensive but well worth the price.

That's not my understanding. Not by a long-shot.

#54 meiers

meiers

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,586 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:35

Recently I read posting on another forum where users had reported many problems with their MB pens' poor quality. Typical problems reported were: easily breakimg of the pen, even on a inor fall rom a shirt pocket, threads on the piston fills, etc. Some even recommended to acquire other quality pens such as Pelikan, which are better quality and lesser is price.

I am looking for 146, or 149, and I would like to make sure that I am making right decision of purchasing these pens. I would want to use the pen not display it.

Please share your experiences.

Thanks.

They are VERY good pens.

#55 vibin247

vibin247

Journaling for sanity everyday

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:04

The MB 146 was the first fountain pen I bought and used. It's still a joy to write with (despite it's current condition), because the nib has a feel that can be attuned to how your hand is feeling at the moment. As long as you keep your pen in working order, it should serve you well.
Parker 45 Black, B nib
Lamy Safari, Charcoal Black, EF and F nib

Platinum Century #3776 Chartres Blue, EF nib
My next pen: Platinum Century #3776 Black, M nib

#56 returnofpenguy

returnofpenguy

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 23:35

Thank you all for your detail responses, opinions, and experiences. Through your feedback I was able to make my decision of purchasing an MB 146. I have not yet received it, but anxiously waiting for it.

#57 Kalessin

Kalessin

Antique

• Moderators

• 1,647 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 22:48

With the concluding posting of the original poster, this thread has been gently closed.
-- Joel -- "I collect expensive and time-consuming hobbies."

INK (noun): A villainous compound of tannogallate of iron, gum-arabic and water,
chiefly used to facilitate the infection of idiocy and promote intellectual crime.
(from The Devil's Dictionary, by Ambrose Bierce)