Mb Quality - How Good Is It?

returnofpenguy

Their warranty is pretty good, and for the price ... it should be.

As to actual quality ... it's a mass produced plastic pen.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed ..."

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JonSzanto

• Pen Nut

• Aysedasi

• ethernautrix

Their warranty is pretty good, and for the price ... it should be.

As to actual quality ... it's a mass produced plastic pen.

Presuming you own the ones in 'plastic' of course.

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

Please share your experiences.

They sell them in boutiques. Can you believe that?

You know what else is sold in boutiques? Like Victoria's Secret? Yep: brassieres.

Do you think a brassiere is going to last decades, much less a lifetime? Not bloody likely. So there, you have your answer: a Montblanc pen is about as reliable as a brassiere. This is my experience, or at least what I'm typing at the moment...

Do you often dress up in woman's underwear? :clap1:

Lots of high end products are sold in small boutiques.

My Collection: Montblanc Writers Edition: Hemingway, Christie, Wilde, Voltaire, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Poe, Proust, Schiller, Dickens, Fitzgerald (set), Verne, Kafka, Cervantes, Woolf, Faulkner, Shaw, Mann, Twain, Collodi, Swift, Balzac, Defoe, Tolstoy, Shakespeare, Saint-Exupery, Homer & Kipling. Montblanc Einstein (3,000) FP. Montblanc Heritage 1912 Resin FP. Montblanc Starwalker Resin: FP/BP/MP. Montblanc Traveller FP.

You know what else is sold in boutiques? Like Victoria's Secret? Yep: brassieres.

Do you think a brassiere is going to last decades, much less a lifetime? Not bloody likely. So there, you have your answer: a Montblanc pen is about as reliable as a brassiere. This is my experience, or at least what I'm typing at the moment...

Well, if you want to look at a MB pen this way, you need to ask the following:

- does a MB pen give you support where you need it? (yes, if we're talking about having something to write with)

- does a MB pen make you look better/feel more confident when you're wearing it (I think so, but YMMV)

- do people notice when you're NOT wearing/using your MB? (depends on your work & your other daily carries, but it's possible and even likely)

- will you make a statement when you take it off? (ooh...that might send shivers down some of our spines - especially if we can try it)

Of course I'm being facetious above, but it's worth pointing out that many of us have and are writing with MBs from the 1920s (or even earlier) onwards, which is >1 generation ago. After all, how many threads on this forum started with "Well I found my Mom's/Dad's/Grandparents' MB pens..."? And while I'll certainly concede that the MB of the 1940s/1950s is a (much) different company than the luxury/status-driven MB of today, the 146 and 149 have remained more-or-less unchanged.

So I'd say that even the modern MBs will certainly outlast a brassiere...except maybe the diamond-encrusted ones favoured by Madonna and/or Lady Gaga! ;)

Actually, some of those VS bras seem designed only for...umm...special occasions, if you get my drift. Might actually be serviceable long after the...umm...need for such things has long passed.

worst, sometimes the pen got inside the blanket(quilt?) somewhere and when I get up and toss the blanket, the pen fly away like the space shuttle.

I saw this clearly (have seen it happen to my own pens) -- very vivid response, tempo. *Like*

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

Actually, some of those VS bras seem designed only for...umm...special occasions, if you get my drift. Might actually be serviceable long after the...umm...need for such things has long passed.

One doesn't need those VS bras. A towel--...never mind.

Also, YMMV.

etherX in To Miasto

Well, if you want to look at a MB pen this way, you need to ask the following:

- does a MB pen give you support where you need it? (yes, if we're talking about having something to write with)

- does a MB pen make you look better/feel more confident when you're wearing it (I think so, but YMMV)

- do people notice when you're NOT wearing/using your MB? (depends on your work & your other daily carries, but it's possible and even likely)

- will you make a statement when you take it off? (ooh...that might send shivers down some of our spines - especially if we can try it)

Of course I'm being facetious above, but it's worth pointing out that many of us have and are writing with MBs from the 1920s (or even earlier) onwards, which is >1 generation ago. After all, how many threads on this forum started with "Well I found my Mom's/Dad's/Grandparents' MB pens..."? And while I'll certainly concede that the MB of the 1940s/1950s is a (much) different company than the luxury/status-driven MB of today, the 146 and 149 have remained more-or-less unchanged.

So I'd say that even the modern MBs will certainly outlast a brassiere...except maybe the diamond-encrusted ones favoured by Madonna and/or Lady Gaga! ;)

Good points!

etherX in To Miasto

Comparisons are helpful, not sure about some comparisons, but how about Volkswagon versus Porsche? Both great cars. If you want, and can afford the high end item, go for it! Just don't ever scratch the Porsche or you find out about real high end maintenance. Not too many owners complaining about the quality though.

Currently, I have five 146s and nine 149s, all excellent pens. Only one problem, I want more!

If you purchase either of these pens, or a Pelikan, Sheaffer, Omas, Visconti, Aurora etc, protect them in an appropriate case.

All of my pens travel in Montblanc Siena cases or cases by Pelikan and Omas. My pens have traveled internationally,in a backpack, to jungle rainforests in some extreme conditions, and to mountain tops. They have even made it through Homeland Security. :thumbup:

Other pens I own are those listed above and Sailor, Pilot/Namiki, Delta.

Pen most used? Montblanc 146 or 149. My eldest 146 is almost sixty years old, still going strong.

I wear no brassier; I carry no Montblanc.

But really now, ladies and gentlemen: some obviously got the drift, but I didn't think *anyone* would take my comparison seriously.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Wait! If I carry a montblanc, should I now go and buy a Brassier? :roflmho:

Edited by osnofian

Wait! If I carry a montblanc, should I now go and buy a Brassier? :roflmho:

Of course. I thought that was clear! :ltcapd:

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Do you often dress up in woman's underwear? :clap1:

Lots of high end products are sold in small boutiques.

:roflmho: :thumbup: well said Brandon!

Again, an assumptive response from someone who admits to not owning a Montblanc.

Invariably, those who bash the brand don't own any.

The bulk of criticism is based on preconceived ideas and assumptions, and sometimes an equally assumptive dislike of the company's business model. Again preconceived, because their business model remains successful, despite the economic climate being what it is. Like it or not, they continue to go forward. They somehow succeed to attract a returning client base.

I have plenty, plenty Montblancs. Like Brandon, I also have all the WE's, some even in duplicate with different nib sizes. All 21 plus 7 dulicates. 14 POA's/great persons/music donation pens and other LE's. 6 Skeletons. 9 149's, including a demonstrator, 2 with bespoke nibs, one a double-slit signature. 3 Starwalkers, 2 146's. Vintage ones I'll have to go and count, but it includes 3 139's. Somewhere close to 80 MB's last time someone counted.

I am a hoarder, I admit it.

So, yes, to the OP, I like their quality enough to keep buying their pens. Picking up 2 more beautiful MB's tomorrow, both with B nibs.. :puddle:

They can call their shops what they like. My shop knows me by name. They are never too busy to give me a cup of tea or some juice, even if I just pop in to take a look or say hello. They have made possible the Hamburg factory tour we had earlier this year. The place is always full of such beautiful stuff. I like them. So, if I have to buy from a shop called a boutique, so be it.

JonSzanto - c'mon, try it - dare going to the dark side, and get a Montblanc... ;) :thumbup:

I wear a bra. I love MBs. I prefer using a personal shopper as I have better things to do with my time. Welcome to the 21st century. :bunny01:

JonSzanto - c'mon, try it - dare going to the dark side, and get a Montblanc... ;) :thumbup:

Please note my post where I wonder about the people taking me seriously. I honestly didn't think anyone would take this as a true critique of the pens or company. As for owning one, we'll see. I almost bough a 149 recently, but decided against it, and anyway, they're just pens.

I wear a bra. I love MBs. I prefer using a personal shopper as I have better things to do with my time. Welcome to the 21st century. :bunny01:

Let them eat cake.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Let them eat cake.

oh man, yeah. Slooow down there, NOT using a personal shopper isn't exactly a sign that you're living in the past...unless you were just messing around?

I'm not affiliated with ANY of the brands/retailers/shops/ebay sellers/whatever I mention or recommend. If that ever changes, I will let you know :)

Looking for a cheap Pilot VP/Capless - willing to put up with lots of cosmetic damage.

I once had a personal shoplifter because I didnt want to do the time :rolleyes:

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

I once had a personal shoplifter because I didnt want to do the time :rolleyes:

Brilliant!

~ Benjamin Franklin

Is this the line for the guillotine? ;) :bunny01:

Oh, good grief, I hope not! I thought they were handing out guilloche models. :gaah:

~ Benjamin Franklin