Mb Quality - How Good Is It?

returnofpenguy

Recently I read posting on another forum where users had reported many problems with their MB pens' poor quality. Typical problems reported were: easily breakimg of the pen, even on a inor fall rom a shirt pocket, threads on the piston fills, etc. Some even recommended to acquire other quality pens such as Pelikan, which are better quality and lesser is price.

I am looking for 146, or 149, and I would like to make sure that I am making right decision of purchasing these pens. I would want to use the pen not display it.

Please share your experiences.

Thanks.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JonSzanto

• Pen Nut

• Aysedasi

• ethernautrix

I only have one - a 149. It is a beautiful pen in all visual respects. Although the nib was tuned for me by Oxonian, I'm still to fall in love with it and would rather like to swap it... Or I may just sell the pen as I seldom use it.

http://www.aysedasi.co.uk

She turned me into a newt.......

If you can share the links to those forums/posts it would be useful to have as reference.

They sell thousands of pens per year, some of them will have problems, the same happens with pelikan and all other brands. The other problem is that some people buy fakes and complain about the quality...

Anyway, I digress. I never had any problem with any of my MB pens that wasn't solved painlessly by MB for free. I did have a piston unscrew on me once, but that took them 5 minutes to fix on-the-spot. I have several of their pens and never had one crack.

At the end of the day in your case, I would buy the pen I want... if you want a MB buy a MB, if you want a Pelikan, buy a Pelikan... they are wonderful pens, quite reliable and I love the fact you can change the nibs yourself (on Pelikans)...

Personally, I don't think Pelikan pens are significantly better than MBs, they are about the same.

A little reminder: Few people can actually really speak about the quality of MB, because most people only own few pens. And the experiences some have with a couple of pens don't tell much about the overall quality of a manufacturer with an output of hundreds of thousands of pens - neither in good nor in bad.

I haven't had any problems with my 149 so far, the quality is ok. Well done and it gets used sometimes - albeit rarely (because I have other pens I like more), but still: the pen gets out in a jacket pocket and returns home without damage and serves me well.

But it's not better or worse than with other good manufacturers.

Greetings,

Michael

Are MB good pens? Yes

Are MB overpriced? Yes

If you've tried one and liked it, go for it.

I have about 20 various MB models, and they are very nice, but not my favorites. One of the FP is chipped from dropping onto a glass desk from about a foot above. One cartridge model broke at the threads for unknown reason and was replaced by MB. The plastic seems to be more brittle than other brands, but other MB that I use have been fine (I have several NOS that are still in the boxes :headsmack: )

I feel that MB is more fragile than just about any of my Parker, Sheaffer, Waterman, Pelikan...

Qui me amat, amat et canem meum

Recently I read posting on another forum where users had reported many problems with their MB pens' poor quality. Typical problems reported were: easily breakimg of the pen, even on a inor fall rom a shirt pocket, threads on the piston fills, etc. Some even recommended to acquire other quality pens such as Pelikan, which are better quality and lesser is price.

I am looking for 146, or 149, and I would like to make sure that I am making right decision of purchasing these pens. I would want to use the pen not display it.

Thanks.

Can you post a link to this other thread, maybe people can answer the specific points that were raised? It almost seems pointless you starting another one when you've acknowledged that one already exists.

Do you honestly think that they'd sell so many pens and have so many fans if their product was not worth the money?

My Collection: Montblanc Writers Edition: Hemingway, Christie, Wilde, Voltaire, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Poe, Proust, Schiller, Dickens, Fitzgerald (set), Verne, Kafka, Cervantes, Woolf, Faulkner, Shaw, Mann, Twain, Collodi, Swift, Balzac, Defoe, Tolstoy, Shakespeare, Saint-Exupery, Homer & Kipling. Montblanc Einstein (3,000) FP. Montblanc Heritage 1912 Resin FP. Montblanc Starwalker Resin: FP/BP/MP. Montblanc Traveller FP.

I am not a MP expert - I have two modern 146 pens, one with a fine, one with a medium nib. Both pens write absolutely beautifully. Fountain pens are very personal, obviously, so your mileage may vary, but I have had very, very good luck with my MB 146. I also briefly wrote with a 144, and it was perfect, just too small for me.

Prior to buying my 146, I'd read quite a bit of negative comments about MB pens and the company itself. But I decided to give it a chance, and I am glad I did.

In terms of being fragile, I would say that pens are generally fragile, so I try to take good care of mine and be careful with them. Sure, they will survive a fall onto a carpeted floor when they roll off my desk, but if I hurled them across a hardwood floor, most pens would probably break :roflmho:

---

Please, visit my website at http://www.acousticpens.com/

Thanks.

146 and 149, both excellent choices.

I use both as everyday work-horse pens, they get no special treatment and are often handled robustly.

I can vouch for their quality because they withstand this on a daily basis. After a quick clean up, they look spectacular again.

For years I'd used cheaper pens, but had to replace them on a regular basis, as they could not take the wear and tear of everyday use over the long term.

I'd recommend you go for a 146. It's a superb everyday pen.

The 146s and 149s hold their value well (unless you're buying new, of course), so if the pen wasn't to your liking, you could probably sell it on with little loss or profit.

Just my 2p.

Good luck!

I'll echo what's already been said: I have both a semi-modern (80s/90s) 146 and a 149, and although I bought both used, they've been very reliable and surprisingly sturdy pens, at least IMHO. If you're unsure about MB, either try one in a boutique or try to find a used 146 off the FPN classifieds to give it a try. If you go the latter route, chances are that you'll keep the pen, but if you don't you'll probably be able to sell it for more-or-less what you paid (which obviously won't be the case if you buy a new 146 from a MB boutique).

I have a wide variety of MB pens - a few vintage, but mostly purchased new - a total of 20-25 pens.

I've not had a bit of trouble from them. They do not seem more fragile to me than other brands, though I would say that I treat them gently.

pentulant [adjective]: immodest or wanton in search of all things related to pens<BR> [proper noun]: Christine Witt Visit Pentulant<br>

President, Brush Dance - we make high-quality, mindful Calendars, Planners, Journals, and other fun stuff you'll love

I'll share my experiences. I own and have owned more Mont Blancs than probably 95% of people on here. Here is a snapshot of my "office pens." I also have another case at my apartment that has another 6 or 7 I think at the moment.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b186/mmahany/2012-12-06103301.jpg

I think I current own just under 20 Mont Blancs. I have also owned probably another 30-40 in the past year that were sold. I don't buy many writer's editions. Mostly Meisterstucks, starwalkers, and bohemes.

Here is my input on the pens I have experience with

Meisterstuck Resin Pens- Feel the best in my hand and write very well. However, they're cheaply made for the price. My 146 pens are my favorite to write with for long periods of time and my 149s are the pens I write with when I want to "feel important." But in the end, I would never spend more than $400-500 on one.

Meisterstuck Solitaire Pens-I find myself buying more of the Sterling Silver Meisterstucks. They're very pretty but not overly flashy. I own three different Sterling Silver 163 rollerballs and they're great pens to keep in my suit pocket or to carry with me to client appointments.

Starwalker Resin- But simply, I would never buy another. Cheaply made, feel cheap in my hand, and all around a dissappointment

Starwalker Metal- Oddly enough my favorite pens. I've owned over 10 metal Starwalkers. They're heavy but not too heavy, feel solid in my hand, and I've never had an issue with them. I've even dropped one before and it managed to walk away without a single scratch. My favorites are the Cool Blue (I own 2 currently).

Boheme resin- Sorry if this offends anyone, but the Boheme Ballpoint is a disgrace to the MB name. Cheap, small, and falls apart (the stone in mine fell out fairly easy). A colleague had the fountain pen version and he and I were severely dissapointed in its performance. The rollerball would be the only pen I'd consider in the boheme line.

Boheme Metal- The two Boheme Doue ballpoints I owned were well made, just too small. They are good to keep in a notebook or for a smaller hand, but I felt like a giant when I wrote with it. I've never owned a Metallic Boheme rollerball or fountain pen so I can't comment on those.

Favorite 3 Fountain Pens:

1.) 146 Sterling Silver- I have yet to own one, but it is number 1 on my want list. It's a beautiful pen. My uncle owns one and it's perfect (to me) in every way aside from the price.

2.) 149-I think any serious collector should own one. It's iconic and a "must own"

3.) 146- This is my favorite all around pen. It is slightly smaller than the 149 but the size and balance makes it to where I can write for long periods of time without my hand getting tired.

Favorite 3 Ballpoints I've owned:

1.) Le Grand Ballpoint-The le grand just feels best in my hand to write with. I wish I could find a good deal on a solitaire le grand

2.) Starwalker Cool Blue Ballpoint- Just a solid pen. Feels good to write with and the color is beautiful

3.) Stainless Steel Solitaire Ballpoint-It looks good, fits perfect in a suit jacket pocket, and it won't shatter if I drop it.

Favorite 3 Rollerballs

1.) Starwalker Cool Blue Fineliner. Just a wonderful all around pen. I love mine

2.) Tie between my 3 Sterling Silver 163s. They stand out, are simple, and each has a unique pattern

3.) 162 Le Grand Rollerball- The size and balance is why I like it. Again, I hope to find a solitaire version of this pen for the right price soon.

Pens that are either cheap or are not worth the price:

1.) Boheme Ballpoint-as said, just a cheap small poorly made pen

2.) Starwalker resin- Same, a cheap pen that feels poor in the hand

3.) 144 Fountain- It's an extremely popular pen. I've owned 5. They write well, but they're just too small for my hand

4.) Boheme Fountain- I hear about tons of problems with them and I've experienced many myself.

5.) 100th anniversary- I just sold one for $700. It is insanely over priced. It's a cheap pen that should be worth $300 fair market.

6.) 164, 163 or any "Classique" precious resin pen- These are "starter" pens. They're a dime a dozen. Tons of fakes out there, they break easy, and they're just too small for my hand. They're a good present for someone who doesn't collect, but if I get a good deal on one, it immediately goes up for sale. I've sold probably 15-20 for the record

Again, I don't have much experience with Writer's Editions so I won't touch on those.

I just think MB should have 'shops' like every one else...... ;)

Only problem is that not everyone has a shop. All Sailor pens that go in for repair must go to Japan. Itoya is very reluctant to give out spare parts and I know of no dealer that has been able to get any. Omas requires its pens to be sent to Italy. I bet there are a number of other pen manufacturers that also send their pens to the place of manufacture for repairs.

Montblanc does have a repair shop in Texas at least and somewhat near by in the US.

What Would The Flying Spaghetti Monster Do?

When I say 'shop' I'm only referring to the pretentiously titled 'boutiques'...... I thought those were where young ladies bought their clothes in the 60's and 70's.... ;)

Edited by Aysedasi

http://www.aysedasi.co.uk

She turned me into a newt.......

When I say 'shop' I'm only referring to the pretentiously titled 'boutiques'...... I thought those were where young ladies bought their clothes in the 60's and 70's.... ;)

I agree with you on this. I think boutique is a most unfortunate term to use. They should have used another term like errr.... ummmm...... how about "Tienda"?smile.gif

It reminds me of how some people call the junk they got out of abandoned storage room auctions as Antiques. Really?...... since when are vinyl records and cassette machines Antique?

What Would The Flying Spaghetti Monster Do?

.........I use a modern 149 and a 146..... they routinely hit the ground at high air speed velocities.....

often I fall asleep with my pen in bed, and the pen fall off while I sleep(there are no carpets).

worst, sometimes the pen got inside the blanket(quilt?) somewhere and when I get up and toss the blanket, the pen fly away like the space shuttle.

the pen also fly out of my hand/shirt/pocket while I was running on the school/street.....

And no. It never break, never leak, never no nothing.....

I'll share my experiences. I own and have owned more Mont Blancs than probably 95% of people on here. Here is a snapshot of my "office pens." I also have another case at my apartment that has another 6 or 7 I think at the moment.

I think I current own just under 20 Mont Blancs. I have also owned probably another 30-40 in the past year that were sold. I don't buy many writer's editions. Mostly Meisterstucks, starwalkers, and bohemes.

Here is my input on the pens I have experience with

Meisterstuck Resin Pens- Feel the best in my hand and write very well. However, they're cheaply made for the price. My 146 pens are my favorite to write with for long periods of time and my 149s are the pens I write with when I want to "feel important." But in the end, I would never spend more than $400-500 on one.

Meisterstuck Solitaire Pens-I find myself buying more of the Sterling Silver Meisterstucks. They're very pretty but not overly flashy. I own three different Sterling Silver 163 rollerballs and they're great pens to keep in my suit pocket or to carry with me to client appointments.

Starwalker Resin- But simply, I would never buy another. Cheaply made, feel cheap in my hand, and all around a dissappointment

Starwalker Metal- Oddly enough my favorite pens. I've owned over 10 metal Starwalkers. They're heavy but not too heavy, feel solid in my hand, and I've never had an issue with them. I've even dropped one before and it managed to walk away without a single scratch. My favorites are the Cool Blue (I own 2 currently).

Boheme resin- Sorry if this offends anyone, but the Boheme Ballpoint is a disgrace to the MB name. Cheap, small, and falls apart (the stone in mine fell out fairly easy). A colleague had the fountain pen version and he and I were severely dissapointed in its performance. The rollerball would be the only pen I'd consider in the boheme line.

Boheme Metal- The two Boheme Doue ballpoints I owned were well made, just too small. They are good to keep in a notebook or for a smaller hand, but I felt like a giant when I wrote with it. I've never owned a Metallic Boheme rollerball or fountain pen so I can't comment on those.

Favorite 3 Fountain Pens:

1.) 146 Sterling Silver- I have yet to own one, but it is number 1 on my want list. It's a beautiful pen. My uncle owns one and it's perfect (to me) in every way aside from the price.

2.) 149-I think any serious collector should own one. It's iconic and a "must own"

3.) 146- This is my favorite all around pen. It is slightly smaller than the 149 but the size and balance makes it to where I can write for long periods of time without my hand getting tired.

Favorite 3 Ballpoints I've owned:

1.) Le Grand Ballpoint-The le grand just feels best in my hand to write with. I wish I could find a good deal on a solitaire le grand

2.) Starwalker Cool Blue Ballpoint- Just a solid pen. Feels good to write with and the color is beautiful

3.) Stainless Steel Solitaire Ballpoint-It looks good, fits perfect in a suit jacket pocket, and it won't shatter if I drop it.

Favorite 3 Rollerballs

1.) Starwalker Cool Blue Fineliner. Just a wonderful all around pen. I love mine

2.) Tie between my 3 Sterling Silver 163s. They stand out, are simple, and each has a unique pattern

3.) 162 Le Grand Rollerball- The size and balance is why I like it. Again, I hope to find a solitaire version of this pen for the right price soon.

Pens that are either cheap or are not worth the price:

1.) Boheme Ballpoint-as said, just a cheap small poorly made pen

2.) Starwalker resin- Same, a cheap pen that feels poor in the hand

3.) 144 Fountain- It's an extremely popular pen. I've owned 5. They write well, but they're just too small for my hand

4.) Boheme Fountain- I hear about tons of problems with them and I've experienced many myself.

5.) 100th anniversary- I just sold one for $700. It is insanely over priced. It's a cheap pen that should be worth $300 fair market.

6.) 164, 163 or any "Classique" precious resin pen- These are "starter" pens. They're a dime a dozen. Tons of fakes out there, they break easy, and they're just too small for my hand. They're a good present for someone who doesn't collect, but if I get a good deal on one, it immediately goes up for sale. I've sold probably 15-20 for the record

Again, I don't have much experience with Writer's Editions so I won't touch on those.

Thank you very much for your insight into the world of MBs, it's not everyday someone with such significant experience with one brand speaks so candidly.

They sell them in boutiques. Can you believe that?

You know what else is sold in boutiques? Like Victoria's Secret? Yep: brassieres.

Do you think a brassiere is going to last decades, much less a lifetime? Not bloody likely. So there, you have your answer: a Montblanc pen is about as reliable as a brassiere. This is my experience, or at least what I'm typing at the moment...

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

.........I use a modern 149 and a 146..... they routinely hit the ground at high air speed velocities.....

Haha- I use a leGrand rollerball, and have sadly dropped it about 10 times within less than a year (so far so good) but I suspect I need to be more careful because my luck may not last…

Cheers

a newcomer to writing instruments…

1) Montblanc Meisterstuck Le Grand Black Resin & Gold 162 Rollerball Pen

wonder if the list will grow…

Very high quality writing instuments, performance is for another time, and I give that verdict after owning, and still owning, many from the 'entry level' to the 'way too expensive'models.

Why I feel I can say is that statement is due to my ownership of most other makers flagship models and others within the range they offer. I do still keep Waterman Edsons and Parker Duofold because I feel they are good. My Pelikans, YOL's Montegrappas etc have been moved out to make way for more Montblanc items.

One pen that I have not owned yet but I do get told that the top models are very well made is Dupont so just where MB quality sits alongside them is something I cannot comment on.

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......