#1 majorworks

majorworks

Paperback Writer

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 December 2012 - 17:44

I've had this set for a few weeks but haven't gotten around to taking or posting pictures, poor as they may be. I picked up this Parker 45 set from a neighbor who runs a small jewelry store and dabbles in antiques. It cost me $20 (I had to make her take the whole $20). How did I do?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Happiness is an Indian ED!

#2 jbb

jbb

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,037 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 December 2012 - 18:01

That's simply lovely. :cloud9: I think you did great! I'm a big fan of Parker 45s. :clap1:

#3 majorworks

majorworks

Paperback Writer

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 December 2012 - 19:09

Thanks! I'm pleased with it. It's my first and only 45. The pen and pencil are both very clean, no scratches, marks, or anything, really. The little paper insert and converter were under the tray, too. The converter seemed new and unused but when I flushed the pen, I got some blue ink. So I guess someone had a cartridge in it. The pencil seems NIB. The eraser is dried out but unused.

I've got Pelikan Royal Blue in it for starters. It writes smoothly. All good!

#4 nickapos

nickapos

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 December 2012 - 19:20

I think you got a bargain. Enjoy your 45. I am to add one of my burgundy 45's in my rotation tommorow
Nick Apostolakis
Msc in IT, University of Glasgow
GPG ID: 0xBDF1848D
e-mail: nickapos@oncrete.gr
Web Site: http://nick.oncrete.gr

#5 jbb

jbb

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 6,037 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 December 2012 - 19:46

Does it have a steel nib or a gold one?

#6 Joe in Seattle

Joe in Seattle

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 December 2012 - 19:51

Nice! I have a SS FlighterAnd that is one of my sweetest writers.
"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

#7 majorworks

majorworks

Paperback Writer

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 December 2012 - 20:00

Does it have a steel nib or a gold one?

The nib is a steel medium. It wasn't *that* good of a deal!

Edited by majorworks, 05 December 2012 - 20:00.

#8 JRW711

JRW711

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:55

Just acquired my first Parker 45 with a SS nib, a silver cap, gold clip and navy body. It cost $15. After cleaning it, I installed a cartridge. Once the ink was "drawn" out with an occasional water dip, it writes smoothly...no skips, jumps or other problems. I am not sure if I will like the pressure fit cap as compared to a screw on type cap. I am not sure what these sell for, but I believe I got a fair deal. My newest "addiction" grows..... :)

#9 Amberjack

Amberjack

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 December 2012 - 13:30

Very nice!

P45s are one of the best bargains going today and are great writers as well.

AJ
"Men are qualified for civil liberty in exact proportion to their disposition to put moral chains upon their own appetites..." Edmund Burke, 1791
Posted Image

#10 majorworks

majorworks

Paperback Writer

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 December 2012 - 14:33

Just acquired my first Parker 45 with a SS nib, a silver cap, gold clip and navy body. It cost $15. After cleaning it, I installed a cartridge. Once the ink was "drawn" out with an occasional water dip, it writes smoothly...no skips, jumps or other problems. I am not sure if I will like the pressure fit cap as compared to a screw on type cap. I am not sure what these sell for, but I believe I got a fair deal. My newest "addiction" grows..... :)

I'd always heard that 45s were great little pens, and our mutual experience bears that out. I, too, am on the fence about the cap. Can any of the more experienced 45 owners comment on whether the fit of the cap loosens up a little over time? With mine, I have to give it a pretty good push to get the cap all the way on, and likewise a firm tug to get it off.

#11 OcalaFlGuy

OcalaFlGuy

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,741 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 December 2012 - 16:46

Posted Image

#12 nxn96

nxn96

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,115 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 December 2012 - 18:33

First of all, congratulations on a nice 45 set. I'm not surprised that the converter was unused but there was some ink residue when you flushed the system. Who wouldn't have wanted to give this new gift a try when it arrived, and well, there was the ready-to-go cartridge? Well, that's what I did...

The 45 is, to my mind, a much under-appreciated Parker series; particularly those produced in the era when Parker was more focused on the 51, 61, 75etc., as the "better" end of the line. They were, but, there was a lot of good engineering and build quality in the 45 line. If you look at the history of the 45, it "crept up" to the middle to upper middle end of the Parker pen line over time, while still maintaining its "schoolpen" base.

Again, it sounds as if you've got a really nice pen.

#13 wvbeetlebug

wvbeetlebug

GO EERS!!!

• Member - Gold

• 2,110 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:13

Very nice!

:happycloud9:

Cathy L. Carter

Live. Love. Write.

#14 Motomo

Motomo

Eclectic Tastes

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:05

Few weeks ago I bid on a random auction for a Parker 45 set in black...it was just one of those late night ebay impulse buys...turns out, unlike the normal train wreck of my impulse buys, that it has become one of my favorite pens...since I have bought two more in other nib sizes and one for a coworker....I think you did quite well
Giving money and power to the government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys - P. J. O'Rourke

#15 MCameron

MCameron

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 00:14

First, for $20 you got a heck of a good deal. Next, I wish everyone would stop extolling the virtues of Parker 45s! If more people appreciate these pens, then more people will buy them. That would be bad...because I want them all!

#16 79spitfire

79spitfire

No the car is NOT painted with Bay State Blue..

• Member - Gold

• 5,237 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 December 2012 - 00:48

First, for $20 you got a heck of a good deal. Next, I wish everyone would stop extolling the virtues of Parker 45s! If more people appreciate these pens, then more people will buy them. That would be bad...because I want them all!

+1!!

Increase your IQ, use Linux AND a Fountain pen!!Neko_animated.gif
Fedorabutton-iusefedora.png

#17 ajcoleman

ajcoleman

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:26

congratulations! I have several 45's and particularly enjoy carrying matching sets -- I wish more pens came with matching pencils!

It is pretty normal in my experience for the pencil eraser to be too dried out to use. If you want to replace it, I have found that the vinyl eraser from a Bic disposable pencil is a pretty close fit in many cases. A regular size Autopoint pencil eraser is another option. It is a bit too large in diameter, but is soft enough to shave down and make fit pretty easily.

Enjoy!
Adam
Dayton, OH

It is the glory of God to conceal a matter; to search out a matter is the glory of kings.

-- Prov 25:2

#18 lbr218

lbr218

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:51

I'm quite jealous!! I really want another 45, and the gray looks really nice. :puddle:

#19 M@rtin

M@rtin

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 December 2012 - 17:05

Congratulations!!! enjoy the set

#20 majorworks

majorworks

Paperback Writer

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 December 2012 - 17:35

Thanks, everyone, for the comments. I'm glad you enjoyed the photos.

The same neighbor from whom I acquired the 45 set tells me she's got another Parker of some flavor and a Sheaffer to show me. She's not a pen person so she couldn't describe them well or name models. I'll report back when I've had a chance to check them out.