Singapore, A Platinum And A Nakaya

KarloT

I was lucky enough to drop by Aesthetic Bay in Singapore for the Nakaya clinic last week. I had brought a Higo Zogan Fine and a 3776 ReCelluloid Kuro Ringu for tuning by Nakaya's nib technician, Shinichi Yoshida, and hoped to add a President to my wrap.

The staff brought out a few Presidents for me to try. I sampled one Medium and two Broads and chose to bag the wetter of the B nibs. I took the President to Mr. Yoshida, who subtly aligned the nib and feed. Before his touch, the nib had a bit of the typical silky 3776 feedback. After his gentle adjustments, the feedback was almost imperceptible.

I guesstimate flow to be about a 7/10 using Platinum non-carbon black. Line width is closer to a Pelikan Medium. This may be too narrow for those who like Teutonic Broads but those who are accustomed to Japanese line widths will not mind.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8061/8236159849_a20661d5dc.jpg"

I like how this nib looks. Very Art Deco in some ways.

Posted, the pen is only slightly longer than a Sailor 1911 Large but is lighter in weight. Balance is more neutral compared to the Sailor's forward bias. I have found this pen to be just as comfortable as the 1911 Large for long writing sessions and I am surprised that there are very few reviews of this model here on FPN.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8480/8237230222_a3509a8af1.jpg

I would have been happy to go home with the President and my older pens in tow, but Yoshida had something on his table that called out to me. I have seen Platinum and Nakaya Briars in Light before and while they were pretty, the magic just wasn't there. In Dark however, the attraction was fatal.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8488/8237232102_9223de2d21_z.jpg

I asked Mr. Yoshida to fit a Music nib to the pen and if possible, to thin the cross-stroke a bit more. He nodded and went to work. After setting the feed and nib with steam, his honing stones got busy. Twenty minutes and one adjustment later, I was entranced by the lush lines that the reground Music nib was dishing out.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8199/8236157893_2751e00201_c.jpg

The Briar is about the same size as my Higo Zogan and shares the wasp-waisted section that Platinum/Nakaya uses on its slip-capped pens. Unlike the featherweight Zogan, this one feels dense. It does not handle sluggishly but its heft is immediately (and pleasantly) noticeable. The balance while posted is exquisite, but I prefer not to post this model if I can help it.

Both pens are excellent examples of what Platinum/Nakaya offers to the pen-loving public. But what eclipses the craftsmanship of each pen is the time I got to spend with the people who make the pens and this hobby so great. The Singapore pen posse is one of the most welcoming communities I have ever encountered and I am happy to have met the faces behind FPN handles.

I don't think the Nakaya clinic will be a regular flick at a theater near you. But if it does come to your neck of the woods, I urge you to fall in line and enjoy the show.

Edited by KarloT

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KarloT

• ychung

• PatientType

• geoduc

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for sharing. The President is a good pen. I've enjoyed mine. But you were wise to pick up the Briarwood. I've never seen one in that hue and to get it custom adjusted ... wow!

Very nice, congratulations. The briar is beautiful and that music nib looks superb. You're very fortunate to have Mr. Yoshida there to adjust your nibs on the spot.

Oo! I like the line variation you're getting with the Platinum! Well, with both nibs. NICE!

Yeah, I'm going to have to stay alert for a Yoshida visit to the states. Maybe he'll make one to Los Angeles.

Nice, Karlo! Happy for you!

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

Oo! I like the line variation you're getting with the Platinum! Well, with both nibs. NICE!

Yeah, I'm going to have to stay alert for a Yoshida visit to the states. Maybe he'll make one to Los Angeles.

Nice, Karlo! Happy for you!

Hi Lisa!

The Platinum nib is stock. He only set the feed and handed the pen back to me. biggrin.gif

Now, my dreams have been overrun by clipped Decapods, Neo Standards and Naka-Ai Writers. Aaaaargh!!!! roflmho.gif

Congratulations and thank you for sharing your story. I have a deep gloss brirwood on order and am just awaiting delivery!

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj162/mjgordon8081/Briarwood_Capped3.jpg

Nakaya Briarwood Deep Gloss

"Your friends will know you better in the first minute you meet than your acquaintances will know you in a thousand years."

Neat additions to your already cool Platinum/Nakaya collection. The higo zogan is soooooo handsome, btw.

It is good that there is not a Nakaya clinic in my area. I know I could not walk away without more than one pen!

...writing only requires focus, and something to write on. —John August

...and a pen that's comfortable in the hand.—moi

hi Karlo

nice pens! :thumbup:

wanted to ask you about the music nib. does your music nib have any flex to it? does leigh have a music elastic nib to compare? I am considering the nib for my next nakaya and thinking about a music elastic.

only problem is that music elastics need to be ordered direct fr nakaya. Nibs.com doesntdo them

anyone else out there has tried a music vs a music elastic on a nakaya?

thanks!

Neat additions to your already cool Platinum/Nakaya collection. The higo zogan is soooooo handsome, btw.

It is good that there is not a Nakaya clinic in my area. I know I could not walk away without more than one pen!

You are absolutely spot on.

I ended up with 3! wallbash.gif

You are absolutely spot on.

I ended up with 3! wallbash.gif

the clinic left me wanting more....and that's not good :gaah:

Thanks for sharing your pens with us. I too have a President and I think it is a good pen, mine has a 21C Broad Nib. I was unhappy with the ink flow and toothiness of the nib. After struggling for a year to "like" my pen I pulled the nib and aligned the tines, I also opened the feed channel so that it now delivers more ink, now I am happy with the pen. I think the Briar models are quite nice looking pens.

Michael