tommycai

Dipped Only

• Member - Gold

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 December 2012 - 18:47

Hi

I received a Sheaffer's fountain pen from eBay, I've tried hard to find out the detailed information about it, but I still know little about it.

Here is a picture from the ebay site, I'm sorry but my camara does not work now.

Posted Image

The cap and clip seems are plated with gold. The nib is an inset one not a inlaid like the PFM or Legacy. It seems like a Sheaffer Stylist but the Stylist does not have any words on the nib. On the clip there is a small word "S" stamped just like the one painted on the box. Only "sheaffer" marked on the nib. The pen is using a cartridge.

Would anyone identify the pen?

Thanks

Xuzun

#2 raging.dragon

raging.dragon

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,967 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:28

The nib and section look like the Imperial I, but I don't think it's an exact match. And those had plastic caps. The nib and section also have me wondering if it could be a Waterman C/F?

http://www.penhero.c...erialsEarly.htm
http://www.richardsp...profiles/cf.htm

Edited by raging.dragon, 03 December 2012 - 05:28.

#3 Happy Harry

Happy Harry

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:40

I'm not really "up to speed" on these, so the nib dates the pen as l972 or later ( the small triumph nib ended then iirc, hence you see Lady Sheaffers with both nibs )and the clip is a Stylist style. Putting the two together says a late model Stylist most likely.

#4 tommycai

tommycai

Dipped Only

• Member - Gold

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 December 2012 - 17:50

The nib and section look like the Imperial I, but I don't think it's an exact match. And those had plastic caps. The nib and section also have me wondering if it could be a Waterman C/F?

http://www.penhero.c...erialsEarly.htm
http://www.richardsp...profiles/cf.htm

I have checked on the sheaffertarge.com site. The IMPERIAL I's nib outside the hood position looks like a "V" style, and my pen is the same as the waterman C/F's "U" style. But the nib has the kind of curve just like the nib of triumph.

I'm not really "up to speed" on these, so the nib dates the pen as l972 or later ( the small triumph nib ended then iirc, hence you see Lady Sheaffers with both nibs )and the clip is a Stylist style. Putting the two together says a late model Stylist most likely.

I share the same opinion with you, however, there is little information about the Sylist and Lady Sheaffer, so I could not make sure the exact model of this pen.

Thank you for your help.

#5 Ernst Bitterman

Ernst Bitterman

Nil Magnum Nisi Bonum

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,878 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 December 2012 - 18:10

I've got a red one with a chrome cap, and I'm in the same place of mystification. The shape of the S puts it post-1966, and I'll happily grab onto Harry's 1972-ish dating of the point style. I think, with trembling hesitation, that it is a Lady Sheaffer of some sort, but I'd welcome education from someone with actual reference materials for the time.
Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

#6 tommycai

tommycai

Dipped Only

• Member - Gold

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 December 2012 - 18:38

I've got a red one with a chrome cap, and I'm in the same place of mystification. The shape of the S puts it post-1966, and I'll happily grab onto Harry's 1972-ish dating of the point style. I think, with trembling hesitation, that it is a Lady Sheaffer of some sort, but I'd welcome education from someone with actual reference materials for the time.

Several times have the Sheaffer's pens made me puzzled.

#7 mrcharlie

mrcharlie

Peacock Blue

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:32

Is it possible this is non US production? A Sheaffer from Argentina, or Australia maybe?

#8 Happy Harry

Happy Harry

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:48

An issue with identifying these is that they where probably stickered with a 3 digit code, in this case it would most likely have been 770 (?) and that refers to the finish not necessarily the model, in this case gold cap with a plastic barrel. There are numerous examples of completely different Sheaffers having the same number on the sticker...just to make life easy !! I lean away from a L.Sheaffer only because I've not seen one with a non metal barrel. Then again there's always a surprise such as this, not sure if that's a "correct" nib.

#9 tommycai

tommycai

Dipped Only

• Member - Gold

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:14

An issue with identifying these is that they where probably stickered with a 3 digit code, in this case it would most likely have been 770 (?) and that refers to the finish not necessarily the model, in this case gold cap with a plastic barrel. There are numerous examples of completely different Sheaffers having the same number on the sticker...just to make life easy !! I lean away from a L.Sheaffer only because I've not seen one with a non metal barrel. Then again there's always a surprise such as this, not sure if that's a "correct" nib.

Here are some photos I've just taken by iphone, I think this will help you identifying this pen.

sheaffer pen nib 2.jpg

sheaffer pen nib 1.jpg

sheaffer pen nib 3.jpg