#31 JustinJ

JustinJ

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 February 2013 - 18:32

I suggest buying samples of ink. I have tried most of the Iroshizuku inks through samples. I like the Iroshizuku inks but they are very expensive. You may not think they are are worth the money after sampling them. I bought a bottle of Fuyu-Gaki after trying out about ten samples of Pilot Iroshizuku inks. It was the only one of the ten samples that I liked enough to buy. I have to like a sample enough to load it two times in a row in my pen before I would even considering purchasing it.

You can buy samples from some of the FPN users in the classifieds, Goulet Pens, or Isellpens.com . I am sure there are other places to buy samples but these are the ones I'm familiar with.

In the past, I bought ink bottles based on reviews and color scans. I ended up more often with inks that were not as good as I thought and less money in my pocket.

Edited by JustinJ, 26 February 2013 - 20:26.

#32 dspeers58

dspeers58

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:38

I am glad the moderator chimed in. It is important to be able to hear candid opinions, especially for those of us who are still making our way in and among all the varieties of stuff available. I like Pilot/Namiki inks very much. The simple Namiki/Pilot blue is very cheap and behaves very well including some water resistance. The Iroshizuku inks that I have purchased have all been very well behaved, and work well in all my pens. They are about $0.55 per ml. Compared to Noodler's or Diamine or even the basic Pilot/Namiki Blue, generally speaking, the Iroshizuku inks are 4xs the cost. LIke pens, for some, the cost is not worth the pleasure of using the product. I cannot bring myself to even consider something like a Mont Blanc pen, but, for some reason, some Urushi pens (eg Nakaya, Platinum, Pilot) seem worth the money. The Pilot brand of ink is very good, throughout, in my opinion.

#33 VirtuThe3rd

VirtuThe3rd

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,005 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 February 2013 - 13:52

I did enjoy many kinds of samples. Thanks for sharing! :)
Here're my samples.

Just for your information,
Kota Adachi

ink comparison

Iroshizuku Kirisame

VirtuThe3rd

My primary topic : Masters of the fountain pen (Videos with English subtitles)

*Please feel free to comment on my topic! :vbg:

[ The Fountain Pen Tube ]

#34 Vshin

Vshin

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 15:54

I think it depends on each individual ink. Some Iroshizuku inks share the same color and behaviour of inks from less expensive producers (e.g. some of the blues/greens/browns). Of these, I don't see any real reason to buy the Iroshizuku versions.

But certain colors are rather unique or not reproduced exactly in terms of shading or saturation, such as the Tsuki-yo or Yama-budo. In addition, some colors aren't unique but behave better such as the Yu-yake (other saturated/high-shading oranges tend to precipitate or leave sediment on the nib). And of course there are other difference such as feathering, bleedthrough, wet/dryness, etc.

Therefore, I recommend you take a very selective approach when purchasing Iroshizuku inks. You want to have a specific reason in mind when you pick one, whether its for a unique color or better behavior. The best way to figure this out is to obtain a sample of the various colors from a seller or friends and test them out yourself before making a purchase - reading ink reviews is not sufficient. I would take any advice that praises or condemns the entire Iroshizuku lineup as a whole with a grain of salt.
Experience is a hard teacher. She gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.