8 replies to this topic

#1 ballen98a

ballen98a

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 19:18

I have a Carene that I received as a gift, but the nib is an EF and I would like something broader. Nibs.com has replacement nibs, but they take time to order, I am impatient. I found this ebay posting, does anyone know if it will fit the current model Carene's or tell me more about the nib? The images look very similar to the nib on the pen.
Thanks!

#2 rochester21

rochester21

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 December 2012 - 19:36

No way, that`s a c/f nib. Very slim in comparison, to begin with.
I was looking for a cheap replacement too, but the nib sections are so expensive, that you`re better of buying a used pen all together.

Edited by rochester21, 01 December 2012 - 19:37.

#3 ballen98a

ballen98a

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 21:03

No way, that`s a c/f nib. Very slim in comparison, to begin with.
I was looking for a cheap replacement too, but the nib sections are so expensive, that you`re better of buying a used pen all together.

Thanks.

#4 Ghost Plane

Ghost Plane

Indescribable

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,183 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:09

Pilotfish on fleabay and Pen Seller From France on Amazon have them in all sizes including obliques. They're about half the price of a new pen.

#5 Force

Force

Fergus

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,396 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:26

You don't indicate where on this globe you are. If you buy from abroad you will no doubt have a 2, 3 even 4+ week wait anyway. Plus you may have to add on import duty and handling charges when it hits yours shores.

You do not state what model (hence trim) pen you have ie Gold or Silver becuase the nib should really match it.

Looking local, second hand, may be quicker. I have even seen them on the lesser known auction sites and at better prices than the bay.

Sections here on my homeland cost anywhere between £45 and £70 when a complete S/H pen can be had for £80 to £100. In fact a couple of stubs just sold for £45 each but I ummed and ahhhed too long.

If you do buy new you can still offest costs by selling the EF. If it makes half the new price then you have bought the new one for half price.

Someone out there is probably thinking I wish I could try a thinner nib...

#6 Koyote

Koyote

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:44

I have a medium Carene nib that I'm not using, but it is rhodium-plated - if you are interested just send me a message.

#7 Surf Monkey

Surf Monkey

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 December 2012 - 23:58

Interesting that this post was on the first page today.

Just a few minutes ago I dropped my Carene and of course it landed right on the nib, which bent badly. Now I need a replacement. I'll check the eBay sellers mentioned here. It's my favorite pen, so I'm all bummed out right now.

#8 Force

Force

Fergus

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,396 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:52

Interesting that this post was on the first page today.

Just a few minutes ago I dropped my Carene and of course it landed right on the nib, which bent badly. Now I need a replacement. I'll check the eBay sellers mentioned here. It's my favorite pen, so I'm all bummed out right now.

Please post a picture...

#9 Surf Monkey

Surf Monkey

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 December 2012 - 03:39

Please post a picture...

Sure thing! It's bent a little beyond 45 degrees. Like if you rolled your thumb over the top and just pressed it down. I'll grab my macro and get a shot shortly.