10 replies to this topic

#1 Ron2

Ron2

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:07

I have had bad penmanship since I was in elementary school. One of my basic problems is lack of consistency in terms of writing the same letters. I find myself writing "t" and "s" and "r" and "f" and "I", etc., etc. in about 3 different ways in one sentence!! :crybaby:
I am assuming that "practice, practice, practice" will help me write the same letters in a constant style. I want to loose this bad habit, and want to write cursive rather than print.

I was wondering, do any of you have advice or suggestions as to how I should go about learning to write consistent letters, all the time(???)
My own ideas are to slow down, practice, repeat, trace, etc. But are there other techniques too that I haven't thought about?
I'm ready to take the plunge and finally learn how to write, consistently (and hopefully, "beautifully too":cloud9:)

Thanks.

#2 Jamesbmorley

Jamesbmorley

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:04

Slowing down helps me but also not being hard on myself in situations when I need to write fast and the quality suffers. I found it useful to start putting curls on the end of my printed letters and after a whole the joining up kind of started to happen naturally. I too write different letters in different ways but I quite like playing around with different styles so that I can create a way of writing that is mine. Enjoy the opportunity to relax by writing as you try things out and practice. :thumbup:
With thanks

J. B. Morley

#3 Susan3141

Susan3141

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 December 2012 - 13:40

I also have struggled with good handwriting. I've bought the recommended books (Write It Right and Write Now). But the thing that has really made the most difference in my handwriting is using italic nibs. For one, they make your writing look more like calligraphy. And they force you to slow down. For the first time EVER I've gotten compliments on my handwriting when I've used my italic nibs. I have a Pendleton Butter Cursive Italic on my TWSBI 540 and a Richard Binder italic on my Pelikan M600. I've also discovered that when I'm writing with regular nibs, if I slow down like I do with the italic nibs that helps me.

Good luck!
I can't stop buying pens and it scares me.
Pelikan M600 Green o' Green CI; Pelikan M205; Pelikan 140 Blue; Pelikan 100N; Platinum Maki-e Cherry Blossoms; TWSBI 540 CI; Parker Duofold Lapis; 1970s MB 146; 1920s Waterman 52 1/2V; 1990s Aurora Optima; 1980s W. Germ. Pelikan M800; Nakaya Piccolo Enjoying the Moon Cat CI; Naka-ai heki-tamenuri broad CI/stub oblique flex. Coming soon: Pelikan M600 w/ custom blue lizard binde.

#4 Paddler

Paddler

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,779 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 December 2012 - 15:38

When I am writing drafts for a journal article, my writing is nearly illegible, even to me. When I post the final draft into the journal, I slow down and try to "craft" each word as it is copied into the book. If I start to think about what the words are saying, I speed up and the writing begins to look horrible again. I have to stop, lighten my grip on the pen, turn off my brain, and just be a scribe. Writing with an italic nib helps with the idea of "crafting" the words. I don't know why that is; it just helps.
Can a calculator understand a cash register?

#5 ndw76

ndw76

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 16:04

I too suffer from bad hand writing. What I have found is that my writing gets bad when my arm and hand are tense. When this happens I have to stop, relax, and try to slow down.

When you start to do something wrong, stop. You don't want to practice bad habits.
Please call me Nathan. It is a pleasure to meet you.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#6 Stompie

Stompie

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 December 2012 - 16:34

But the thing that has really made the most difference in my handwriting is using italic nibs.
For one, they make your writing look more like calligraphy. And they force you to slow down. For the first time EVER I've gotten compliments on my handwriting when I've used my italic nibs.
I've also discovered that when I'm writing with regular nibs, if I slow down like I do with the italic nibs that helps me.

Good luck!

Not the first time I have heard this and definitely won't be the last!
Posted Image
Courtesy Prvt. Toter: Posted Image Posted Image

#7 Ron2

Ron2

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:24

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I forgot to mention that I am "left handed", if that has anything to do with my bad penmanship :lol:

I think that practice, and repeating slowly the same letters without getting stressed or tense, could help. I will also look into italic nibs, of which I currently own zero.

Edited by Ron2, 02 December 2012 - 09:25.

#8 Eudaemonic Plague

Eudaemonic Plague

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 22:31

I have had bad penmanship since I was in elementary school. One of my basic problems is lack of consistency in terms of writing the same letters. I find myself writing "t" and "s" and "r" and "f" and "I", etc., etc. in about 3 different ways in one sentence!! :crybaby:
I am assuming that "practice, practice, practice" will help me write the same letters in a constant style. I want to loose this bad habit, and want to write cursive rather than print.

What I'd like to know, is why do you feel it necessary to form your letters the same way? I deliberately change up, often in the same word, and add random flourishes. On the other hand, my handwriting has been pretty good since high school, when I began drawing imitations of various fonts, then once I could afford it, I started buying calligraphy pens. I guess it's all a matter of what you want it to look like...I don't want it to look machine-written.

Edited by Eudaemonic Plague, 04 December 2012 - 22:31.

#9 Sailor Kenshin

Sailor Kenshin

Heart of sword

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,518 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 December 2012 - 15:00

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I forgot to mention that I am "left handed", if that has anything to do with my bad penmanship :lol:

I think that practice, and repeating slowly the same letters without getting stressed or tense, could help. I will also look into italic nibs, of which I currently own zero.

Then we have something in common...except for the fact that I own more than one italic nib. I can recommend some inexpensive starters, too.

#10 StrangerT

StrangerT

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:59

If you'd like to try an italic nib without having to spend a fortune, look into Pilot Plumix. I bought mine in Staples (huzzah for instant gratification!) for 7~8 dollars.

I like my Plumix - it makes anything I write look fancy.

#11 Sailor Kenshin

Sailor Kenshin

Heart of sword

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,518 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 December 2012 - 14:20

I dug out my old Plumix and am cleaning it now! Thanks for the reminder.

Target used to sell them, too.