3 replies to this topic

#1 dmmay

dmmay

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:51

I recently purchased a green Dollar Mechanical Pencil. It is nice and works well, but it does not have an eraser (or the metal band that holds the eraser). [I will ask the next time before I bid.] I have read on this forum that one could get a particular Sheaffer eraser refill (#86135) that would fit. However, all the places I looked online for this item are out of stock. (Some claim to have it, but when I ordered they had to refund my money because they did not have it). I wonder if it is discontinued?

Does anyone have another solution?

Many Thanks,

David

#2 Hobiwan

Hobiwan

All I ever wanted was a nice pen to write with...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:26

You might, just for chuckles, look up inside the far back end of the cap. I'd say that 6 out of 10 Esty push pencils I've found in the wild "without erasers" have had them somehow jammed back up into the cap. Just recently I dug two out; one from a pushmaster and one from a pastel. Seems to be a uniquely "Esty" disease, and there's no obvious symptom like "doesn't operate correctly" to tell you. You just have to look, and hope you can get lucky, THEN, be able to dig it out .....

Otherwise, Esty erasers show up now and again on ebay. They come in a small red box of four, with one of them having a retainer ring. Depending on the size, they might work.

Years ago, I went to a store that sold writing/art supplies and bought one of every kind of eraser. If memory serves, I got lucky with a Sheaffer, but I've forgotten what the size was.

Hope This Helps.
Best Regards
Paul

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
– Albert Einstein

#3 welch

welch

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,023 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 November 2012 - 13:09

Pendemonium usually sells the 86135 Sheaffer erasers. I get mine from Art Brown's, since I live in Manhattan. When I bought a package a couple of weeks ago, the staffer mentioned that Sheaffer was now making pencils without erasers. If so, stock up! (Both Brown's and Pendemonium sell online)

I don't know if the Sheaffer eraser fits an Esterbrook pencil -- never had an Estie pencil -- but they fit all versions of the Parker 51 pencil, and even a Parker 21 pencil. Handy.
Don't take any job that requires new clothes.

#4 dmmay

dmmay

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:18

Thanks for suggestions. Alas no eraser stuck in the top. I have an email out to Pendemonium. A few years ago, I was in Fort Madison, IA, and stopped into Pendemonium--a very nice shop.