29 replies to this topic

#1 CryptoDave

CryptoDave

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 17:54

I just found out about this brand of ink, iroshizuku, made by Pilot. It contains eel and is supposedly a very fine ink and is a good lubricator for your pen.

If anyone has any experience with this ink please feel free to comment.

Thanks,

Dave

Edited by CryptoDave, 26 November 2012 - 18:04.

#2 WhosYerBob

WhosYerBob

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 November 2012 - 18:14

Eel? I haven't heard anything about it containing eel...
Mitch
=======
Personal blog
Flickr

#3 Ghost Plane

Ghost Plane

Indescribable

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,037 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 November 2012 - 18:32

You'll find thread after thread of rave reviews. It's one of my "safe" inks for high end pens.

#4 RudyR

RudyR

Man O' Blues

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 November 2012 - 18:55

DAVE,

Who is giving you all this information? This is the second post of what seems to be, misleading information. EEL? Let us know who this is so we can send a ninja to take care of him/her.Posted Image Or at least let us know so that someone who is more knowledgeable can take that persons job. We have enough problems with service to have such a person selling pens.

Either that or you are hearing things wrong. The only ink that even mentions eel is Noodles Eel Series of ink which doesn't have eel in it but is formulated to lubricate a pens innards. Hence the slippery eel connection.
Fountain Pen is SPY!!

#5 torstar

torstar

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,416 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 November 2012 - 19:20

No unagi to be found in the ink.

Awaiting my first bottle's delivery...

#6 KCat

KCat

Ancient Artifact

• Admin Hon.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,529 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 November 2012 - 19:24

Sounds like a weird conglomeration of discussions of Noodler's Eel ink and Iroshizuku, Inks I think are very similar in lubrication qualities. Neither contain eel. Both are wonderfully smooth inks. I have three or four favorite Iroshizuku inks and will try to keep room in my budget for at least one of them in the future.
KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

#7 Lloyd

Lloyd

Can a nib be smoothed by psychokinesis?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,493 posts
  • Location:Trapped inside of a snowglobe that is resting upon a mantel in a home in Massachusetts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 22:12

Should Nathan make some highlighting eel inks called Electric Eel?
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."
Oscar Wilde

#8 CryptoDave

CryptoDave

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 22:38

The eel was told to me by the salesperson, I should have known better than to repeat it. I assumed she was knowledgeable and knew her stuff.

I appologize for the misinformation. From now on I will try harder to cross check my facts before I post.

Thanks,

Dave

#9 Chrissy

Chrissy

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 November 2012 - 22:46

You'll find thread after thread of rave reviews. It's one of my "safe" inks for high end pens.

Thank you. That's well worth knowing. I bought some Chiku-rin when I was in Florida and I haven't used it yet. I might try it in one of my piston fillers now. :thumbup:

postcardde9.png

#10 jttoft

jttoft

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 November 2012 - 23:16

Iroshizuku is fantastc ink. But unfortunately extremely expensive for anyone outside Japan. :(

As you read more about it, you'll find it's one of the highest regarded ink brands out there.
Sometime soon, I'll have to get a full bottle of Tsuki-yo!

#11 Essensia

Essensia

In it for the ink

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 November 2012 - 23:50

Mmmmm, unagi. If Iroshizuku ink contained eel, I'd be drinkin' it, not writin' with it. :D

#12 Wheatflower

Wheatflower

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 November 2012 - 00:49

Posts like this scare me, because I just ordered a bunch of Iroshizuku samples today. I knew it was a bad idea, but I was overcome by the combination of a stressed-out work week and the Goulet sample sale. I'm doomed, DOOMED!
Fountain Pens: Still cheaper than playing Warhammer 40K

#13 RoriRants

RoriRants

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:15

It has EEL? Groovy!! Great stuff though--all of it. :thumbup:

#14 Ghost Plane

Ghost Plane

Indescribable

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,037 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:30

Posts like this scare me, because I just ordered a bunch of Iroshizuku samples today. I knew it was a bad idea, but I was overcome by the combination of a stressed-out work week and the Goulet sample sale. I'm doomed, DOOMED!

But what a way to go!

#15 mstone

mstone

Pensive Penman

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:58

The eel was told to me by the salesperson, I should have known better than to repeat it. I assumed she was knowledgeable and knew her stuff.

You're as likely to find a gourmet chef at McDonald's as an expert salesperson at most stores.

#16 PAC 1957

PAC 1957

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 November 2012 - 13:04

Iroshizuku inks to me are the best inks on the market today:expensive, but definitely worth the extra money; almost all pems I filled them with write much better than before, with very few exceptions ( for example Pelikan Edlestein Topaz)
My favourites:
Kon-peki
Tsuky-yo
Ku-yaku
Tsuyu-kusa
Asa-gao
Yu-kake
Yama-guri
Fuyu-syogun

Best
Piero

#17 KCat

KCat

Ancient Artifact

• Admin Hon.

• 10,529 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 November 2012 - 17:51

I appologize for the misinformation. From now on I will try harder to cross check my facts before I post.

Thanks,

Dave

Well, a major purpose of this forum is to provide information and some information simply isn't readily available. True, there is a particular topic for which there is a great deal of information which was pointed out earlier in the now-closed thread. And there are multiple "blackest black" threads and the like. You might want to check out the poorly-named pinned topic, "Noteworthy Ink Topics" thread. I swear, someday we mods will fix that thread. Time just hasn't been a luxury in that regard.

But not a one of us has heard that rumor before, I'm sure. No way you could have found that little tidbit out by doing anything other than asking someone in the know or acquiring the MSDS. So, don't sweat it. As I said, elsewhere, new folks get a pass if they miss things (at least, they do from me). It can be hard to sort through all the gazillion posts here and the FPN search function leaves a lot to be desired. I highly recommend using the advanced functions on a standard search engine rather than using FPN's search. Just put in the FPN URL where required. That is, if you go to search for something rather than ask.

That said, we love to talk about the stuff on which we have opinions. A lot.
KCat

Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

#18 JefferyS

JefferyS

"Don't tase me, bro!"

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,198 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 November 2012 - 22:11

Reminds me of the question of how many babies it takes to make a bottle of baby oil.
Jeffery
In the Irish Channel of
New Orleans, LA

#19 CryptoDave

CryptoDave

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 00:17

KCat,

Thanks much appreciated.

Dave

#20 KCat

KCat

Ancient Artifact

• Admin Hon.

• 10,529 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 November 2012 - 00:22

Reminds me of the question of how many babies it takes to make a bottle of baby oil.

Eeewww. :sick:
KCat

#21 blopplop

blopplop

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,136 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:55

:ltcapd:
2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
http://www.the-highw..._questions.html

Posted Image

#22 Daisy

Daisy

Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you are

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:36

Dave, I'm so glad you posted. Gave me a good chuckle, thinking about Iroshizuku with the eel and tequila with the worm and babies in oil and so forth.

And you know, I might have made your mistake as well, trusting that salesperson. I mean, how would *I* know what they put in inks? Eel sounds as plausible as anything else, frankly... :D

Not really a scribe, more of a Pharisee...

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."
-- Fourth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution

#23 Lloyd

Lloyd

Can a nib be smoothed by psychokinesis?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,493 posts
  • Location:Trapped inside of a snowglobe that is resting upon a mantel in a home in Massachusetts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:39

Does this mean that Iroshi can be used as nam pla ( fish sauce)?
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."
Oscar Wilde

#24 blopplop

blopplop

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,136 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:47

Only Iroshizuku Tsukushi :)
2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
http://www.the-highw..._questions.html

Posted Image

#25 ehemem

ehemem

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 November 2012 - 17:50

I doubt that the eels are fermented.

#26 Robinkeys

Robinkeys

Pen Geek

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:17

DAVE,

Who is giving you all this information? This is the second post of what seems to be, misleading information. EEL? Let us know who this is so we can send a ninja to take care of him/her.Posted Image Or at least let us know so that someone who is more knowledgeable can take that persons job. We have enough problems with service to have such a person selling pens.

Either that or you are hearing things wrong. The only ink that even mentions eel is Noodles Eel Series of ink which doesn't have eel in it but is formulated to lubricate a pens innards. Hence the slippery eel connection.

Ohhh... I always wondered what use the ninja emoticon would do anyone... Now I see its use

"One's greatness is defined not only by their deeds, but also by the pen they carry."

My YouTube Channel: InkyJoys

Inky Meanderings: my pen, paper and ink blog 

Best Non-FP user line ever: "Is that a calligraphy pen?"

#27 dork

dork

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:39

Well, ignoring the whole eel thing, I can agree with everyone else saying that Iroshizuku ink is great! It writes so smoothly, and has this wonderful shading on most of its colors. They're my favorite ink brand :thumbup:

#28 torstar

torstar

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,416 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 December 2012 - 17:22

Well, ignoring the whole eel thing, I can agree with everyone else saying that Iroshizuku ink is great! It writes so smoothly, and has this wonderful shading on most of its colors. They're my favorite ink brand :thumbup:

Those who will eternally know far more than I do tell me it has the safety and reliability of WM ink with far better colour.

#29 nana_kathy

nana_kathy

Pen Happy

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 December 2012 - 17:33

Not only is the ink about the best on the market... it's in a great bottle too! :cloud9:
Posted ImageMember since July 2012... so many inks, so little time!

To err is human, to make a real mess, you need a computer.

#30 notbob

notbob

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 December 2012 - 18:12

I just found out about this brand of ink, iroshizuku, made by Pilot. It contains eel and is supposedly a very fine ink and is a good lubricator for your pen.

Whatta great rumor!

My late father-in-law, who loved eel fishing, usta be amazed by how slimey eels were. He'd rave on about cleaning eels and how their skin exuded copious amounts of slime, despite their thin skin being a mere 0.002" thick. I have no idea about how eel skin generates "slime", but sounds like great PR.

"Pssst..... no tell, but our ink have eel slime. Why write so smooth." :glare:

I love it!!
nulla dies sine linea