Whats Your Choice Of Mechanical Pencil?

jbjr11

I'm in the market to buy a mechanical pencil. Just so happens that in my line of work pencils are used a fair amount.

I saw and tested the MB Le Grand Platinum but it felt a little characterless and boring (as I already have the RB and BP) and wanted to see if anyone has any unusual mechanical pencils - or if you have any recommendations?

Would be good to see the broad spectrum from the very expensive to affordable to fairly cheap!

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MYU

• Dillo

• flatline

• mrcharlie

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Two options pop in my head- the cheap one would be a parker jotter(all metal version). Simple, elegant- hard to beat. The expensive version- a yard-o-lead. Again, hard to beat in terms of elegance and prestige.

Personally, for everyday use, I use a Kuru Toga. It

so the tip is always sharp. All the different models of the Kuru Toga are great, I have both a 0.5 Roulette and a 0.3 High Grade.

Take a look at jetpens.com they have a number of very nice choices in lead sizes from .3mm. My personal favorites are Platinum Pro use 2, Pilot S20 and the Ohto Super Promecha. The Rotring and Pilot Automac are more expensive but also excellent choices. Don't forget to check out all the leads they have many that are not normally found in the US.

Amos

The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once.

Albert Einstein

vintage sheaffer mechanical or parker mechanical

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

You didn't state what line of work in which you plan on using your pencils. Any fixed sleeve drafting pencil can also be used for general writing but it will probably not be pocket-safe. Most writing pencils are not suitable for drafting work since they either have no sleeve or the sleeve is conical; they are usually pocket safe.

Inexpensive

AutoPoint Twin-Point All American. A double-ended pencil in 0.5, 0.9 or 1.1mm. Ends are black/red, blue/red, or green/red. Pencils like this used to be a mainstay of teachers, editors and draftsmen.

AutoPoint All-American Standard 0.7, .09, 1.1mm. An inexpensive retro twist pencil. It recalls the days of grammar school pre-mid-60s.

AutoPoint Jumbo All-American. A thicker version of the above. 0.9 and 1.1mm

Helix Anchor. 0.5 and 0.7mm. You can usually find these separately or as sets in the drafting section of the big box office supply stores. Retractable tip, pocket safe but meant for drafting.

Pentel P Series P203, P204 (Japan only), P205, P207, P209. The last digit is the lead diameter. These are not pocket-safe.

Pentel QuickerClicker (original series - no rubber grip). 0.5 and 0.7 when you can find them. This was my back-up pencil to the Pentel PG5, discussed below. The new model has rubber grips which I don't like.

Pentel TechniClick. Side click, drafting pencil, not pocket safe.

Pentel Quick-Dock 0.5 and 0.7mm. A cassette system. The cassette includes the leads and the extendible eraser. Pocket-safe. I think Pentel should make cassettes with different color lead in them. That would make this pencil even more useful.

Pentel Fiesta - 0.5, 0.7, 1.3mm. Pocket-safe.

PaperMate Apex

Staedtler Mars Micro. Not pocket-safe

Moderate and Up Price

Faber Castell TK-Fine-Vario. Various sizes, I have the 0.3 and 0.9mm. Not pocket-safe. Various adjustments included tip hardness, for drawing versus drafting.

Ohto Promecha - various sizes, I have the 0.7mm. Several user adjustments are possible. Drafting quality with a retractable tip. Pocket-safe.

Ohto Super Promecha - various sizes, I have the 0.9mm. Many more adjustments than the Promecha, a pencil for gear-heads. Drafting quality with a retractable tip. Pocket-safe.

Pentel Sharp Kerry. Capped so it is pocket-safe. Very professional looking.

Ohto Tasche. Capped so it is pocket-safe. Very professional looking.

Pentel Deluxe. 0.5 and 0.7mm.

Pentel PG/PMG series. PG2, PMG (0.3), PG4, PG5, PG7. Not pocket-safe. Can be hard to find. For many years the PG5 was my go-to pencil when I wrote computer programs on coding forms (and dinosaurs still roamed the earth)

Pentel GraphGear 1000 series. .3, .4, .5, .7, .9. Drafting quality with a retractable tip making them pocket safe. Has an interesting metal/rubber grip. One of the few rubber grips I like.

Pentel Tradio. A big capped pencil, especially when posted. I didn't like the Tradio fountain pen, I gave it away, but the pencil is a keeper.

Pilot S10. Not pocket-safe.

Stadler 925-25 Series. Various sizes. I have the 925-25-07 (0.7mm) and 925-25-20 (2.0mm). The latter is a lead holder. If you like your pencils to match, the 925 series is one of the few series that has a matching 2.0mm leadholder. Not pocket-safe.

My Favorite Mechanical Pencil

Rotring 600 0.5 and 0.7mm. These weren't available for a while, but posts on this board state they are available again. The production is in Japan. Not pocket-safe but built like a Mack truck.

I also have several Cross Century pen and pencil sets as well as one Parker Jotter set. Those have retractable tips and are not suitable for drafting.

If you are just starting out in the world of mechanical pencils than you should see Dave's Mechanical Pencil blog. Be sure to check out his top pencil lists in the top menu bar. If your interest is in drafting pencils and leadholders than stop by DB Smith's Leadholder The Drafting Pencil Museum

Edited by pencils+pens

I use a rotring 600 but I think I might downgrade to a rotring 500 bc it is a bit heavy

http://i.imgur.com/EZMTw.gif "Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored" -Aldous Huxley

Parker 45 F, Lamy Safari EF, Lamy 2000 F, TWSBI Diamond 530 F, Reform 1745 F, Hero 616 F, Pilot Varsity F, Pilot 78g F,

You first have to ask yourself several questions before you can begin deciding what's right for you.

Here goes:

What is my pencil going to be used for?

A pencil that's being used for precast lettering and often used with templates for making flow charts and other sorts of diagrams will probably work better if it has a longer fixed guide pipe for the lead whereas a if you prefer to write boldly or do rough sketches a simple cone type point would work better, and if you're heavy handed with a pencil a cushion point may help.

What's you style?

Traditional or technical? Do you want a pencil that matches your pen?

Is 'pocket safe' important?

Pencils with retractable tips. sliding sleeves, fairly blunt models with fixed pipes e.g. some 2mm mechanical pencils and capped models like the Pentel Sharp Kerry or the Tombow Zoom 505sh won't poke be likely to holes in your shirt pocket or you and even more importantly the fragile guide pipes are much less likely to get bent out of shape.

What are your ergonomic preferences?

Thick or thin? Light or heavy? Long or short? What type of grip do you prefer, knurled or smooth, rubberized, gel, faceted?

What lead thickness do you want?

You've got a choice of from 0.3mm to 5.6mm with 0.5mm being the most common.

What lead hardness do you want to use?

Unlike wooden pencils there is a more limited range of hardnesses available for mechanical pencils though 0.5mm has a pretty wide choice of hardnesses and colours available but the broadest choice is in 2mm and there are click advance 2mm and twist propelling 2mm pencils out there not just clutch lead holders.

What sort of advance mechanism do you prefer?

Standard click, twist propeller, shaker, side click, automatic feed, gravity clutch, bend click and I'm sure some others are all available.

But don't worry, pencils generally cost far less than fountain pens and there is a wide range of functional pencils of all sorts for less than ten bucks.

My daily carry pencils are usually the extremely light and sturdy Caran d'Ache Metal series 0.7mm click pencils and often a 2mm Caran d'Ache fixpencil along with a matching ballpoint. They are sort junior partners of their Ecridor series. I also like the Ohto Promecha 1000 pencils which have the 4mm long fixed sleeve but have a knurled aluminum grip which rides back and forth on a large brass screw and can covet the guide pipe for transport, just be sure to disassemble the pen and apply a generous amount of beeswax or paraffin wax to the screw threads and on the support spring under the grip. The aforementioned Pentel Kerry and Tombow Zoom 505 are also favourites of mine, the TSBI precision impressed me greatly, I prefer it to my Rotring 600, I also like the Pentel GraphGear 1000s, they have a really cool retro-futuristic look about them and a comfortable and unique grip, for a pure writing pencil the 0,7mm Ballograf Opus with its firm rubberized grip and retractable cushioned point mechanism as well as really robust construction and superb balance. can't be beat, the ballpoints are also among the best available—and of course the venerable Lamy 2000 mechanical pencil. I have a lot of mechanical pencils;)

Edited by NedC

it's hard for me to recommend any pencil w/o knowing what your interests are. what lead size do you prefer? are you looking for modern or vintage? do you mind is it has a fix sleeve (this might tear your pocket/clothing)?

anyhow, i would suggest P51, .9mm lead for vintage (prices may vary). the vintage ones usually use thicker lead sizes (1.1mm, .9mm).

for the modern, Kuru Toga rhoulette (.5mm lead) is my fav (about $16USD). this one has a fixed sleeve.

Rotring 500 is very good too -same price range as the KT.

Totally second Dave's Mechanical Pencil blog. Too bad he's inactive these days - I'm hoping he'll find a muse to write more soon.

Anyway, if you're looking for a solid keeper, check out the Pentel "Excalibur" pencils - this is by far my favorite, but out of production for some time so can be hard to find.

http://davesmechanicalpencils.blogspot.com/2010/07/pentel-excalibur-mechanical-pencils.html

Mine is all silver so it's technically not an Excalibur.

Here's a .3mm version..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Rare-Pentel-SG33-Mechanical-Pencil-0-3mm-Excalibur-/310504132799?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item484b7d10bf

The .5mm version is SG35 I believe.

For a fun cheapie, check out the Staedtler Integrity 9505 - it has a unique dual-clutch that holds onto the lead until there's barely any left, unlike a typical mechanical pencil that leaves the lead slipping out with much more left.

http://davesmechanicalpencils.blogspot.com/2008/12/staedtler-integrity-9505-mechanical.html

Haven't tried a Kuru Toga yet, but I want one of the Roulette or High Grade examples.

Lamy 2000 is also a nice keeper.

I would also add my 'vote' for Dave's Mechanical Pencil blog. For me the choice of inexpensive pencils is down to:

Pilot S10 - A well balance pencil

Pentel GraphGear - Good all round drafting pencil

Pentel Graph 1000

OHTO OHTO Super Promecha 1500P - The 'ultimate gadget pencil

Rotring 600 or 800

Parafernalia Linea 2mm

I have an Alvin DRAFT/MATIC and I love it. The grip takes a week or so to get used to, but it is a joy to write in pencil with. It's an added bonus that it is pretty cheap as well.

I have the basic Kuru Toga, and I really like it, even if the engine to turn the lead is a bit hit or miss. I find that the lead doesn't rotate and stay sharp if you are writing cursive since there's constant-ish pressure. The KT engine is built around intermittent pressure between strokes, like you would see in Japanese or Chinese writing, or printing, or math. I mostly use mine for math, since I believe that math work should only be done in pencil.

Another vote for Dave's Mechanical Pencil blog, so much great information on it.

I've tried the OHTO Super Promecha 1500P but wasn't a fan, it just didn't feel right in my hand. I have a Staedtler graphite 925 25 which I like although the one I keep finding I use is the cheapest of the lot, the Staedtler Mars Micro 775. I like the weight of the 775 and it always works, I've never had a problem with them and for the price I think they're superb :)

I like a wider lead: 0.7mm, 0.9mm, or even 1.4mm, and I have a preference for pocket safety.

Two discontinued pencils I enjoy a lot are the Sheaffer Intrigue (with a self-advancing lead mechanism that has never yet let me down) and the old-style Rotring 600, which is pocket-safe, as it has a fully retractable lead sleeve, unlike later incarnations; both of mine are 0.7mm. You could do worse than to keep an eye out for either of these pencils.

FP-stylee pencils: the Lamy 2000 is very nice in its pencil incarnation; as are the Waterman Carene and the Waterman Exception. For a cheap-as-chips model, I like the Parker Frontier flighter pencil. I believe these are all available as 0.7 and 0.5mm. I often see Sheaffer Imperial pencils on ebay, going for very little; these come in stainless with a 0.9mm lead.

If you like pencils that look like drafting pencils, I'd recommend the Pentel Graphgear 1000; also the Staedtler 925 25, whose 2mm lead version is, unusually, a mechanical pencil, not a clutch pencil (I believe the Kaweco Aluminium Special also comes in a 2mm MP; I keep meaning to try this one). I like a 2mm lead sometimes, and never sharpen it; I just rotate the pencil as I write. All of these come in a wide variety of lead sizes.

Short pencils: I get a lot of use out of the Kaweco AL Sport, and its cheaper plastic version (though the aluminium model lacks the plastic's slightly sharp edges at the back end), the Rotring Esprit telescopic pencil (available as 0.7 and 0.5mm, now discontinued, though reborn as the Parker Esprit), and the Faber-Castell children's propelling pencil, which is basically one long colourful silicone-rubbery triangular grip section, with a 1.4mm lead. The Kaweco Aluminium Special comes in a mini version, the same wide range of lead sizes as its big sister (0.5, 0.7, 0.9, 2.0mm), and may well be the next mini pencil I try ...

In terms of vintage, I'm very partial to my Esterbrook J-series pencil. The weight/feel are just right. If you want something modern, I like the Pentel Graph Gear 1000 or the Pentel Sharp Kerry.

Derek's Pens and Pencils

I am always looking for new penpals! Send me a pm if you'd like to exchange correspondence. :)

Personally, for everyday use, I use a Kuru Toga. It

so the tip is always sharp. All the different models of the Kuru Toga are great, I have both a 0.5 Roulette and a 0.3 High Grade.

Another vote for the Kura. I was a draftman/designer in my very early life so have a life-long appreciation for mechanical pencils. The point on this pencil has not broken once in several months of daily use; HB lead.

I do not like fancy/pretty mechanical pencils; I like wood pencils and simple but well made mechanicals or lead holders, but I haven't used a lead holder since drafting classes in High School.

In 1983 or 1984 I bought a Berol TL-5 0.5mm pencil, which I used for an intro engineering drafting course, and for general pencil usage for the time I was in school and since. It has been my main mechanical pencil for nearly 30 years. The model looks like this when new:

post-82935-0-04822900-1354040391.jpg

The first thing I did after opening the package and using it for a couple minutes was to force off the clip, since I rotate the pencil as I write when drafting especially, a habit I learned in High School drafting classes. This damaged the little clip attachment box at the top of the barrel, but not the barrel itself, and the barrel has never split or cracked as a result of doing this. It has been much abused and used over the nearly 30 years I've had it, but is still perfectly functional.

It is very similar to the Pentel P205/P205A (both the Berol and the Pentel came/come in 0.3 and 0.7 as well, and the Pentel at least came in 0.9). The Pentel has the advantage of a removable looking clip, and is still available new today which is a much bigger advantage. Apparently it is officially called the "Sharp™ Mechanical Drafting Pencil", P205/P207/P209 depending on size of lead.

I also have and like a Pentel 0.3mm pencil (I think it is from High School, ie older than the Berol, but it could be late 1980s or early 1990s), metal body, looks much nicer (used and carried in a backpack much less so it is less beat up as well). It has no model name on it that I can see, just a large 3, the brand name Pentel, and the word Japan. The sleeve at the tip that supports the lead retracts, which makes it less likely to get damaged especially in storage or transit, but also makes it nearly useless with a straight edge.

post-82935-0-33736000-1354043781.jpg

Edited by mrcharlie